I'm going to create a directory of sorts...

LeanderMomma

Bobby, had two boys go through the Richland Band 2011 and 2015. I am still a volunteer for the Richland band I drive the truck that pulls "Big Blue" the band trailer in my 12 year supporting RHS.

Ohhhhh, lucky man! My husband drives a tractor trailer for a living and he always wanted to drive for Leander. It’s a hard gig to get though! :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Guess I will do this, hopefully I can meet some people in San Antonio this year (at least I hope to be there)!! 

PESHMom - Lynn,  mom of Plano East alumni son(clarinet),  2012 - 2014,    Plano Senior daughter alumni (clarinet) - 2014-2016,  and a current Clark HS son (clarinet) who will go to Plano Senior 2019-2021. 

They changed our school boundary lines, hence the younger two went or are going to a different Senior High School.

I too am a former Clarinet (and Saxophone) player from Wisconsin, but I moved to Texas in 1988 with my job.  Although I came from a very successful band program back in Wisconsin
(which I am sad to say is no longer the case), I am continually amazed at the level of talent that Texas puts out in their band programs.  Of course, there was a little bit of sticker shock too
for my first band meeting and the fees I had to pay as well, LOL.    

AllenBandDad - real name is Chris. I'm father to an Allen alum son (tuba and drum major) who is now a music major at Texas Tech and in the Goin' Band, and a junior daughter (bass clarinet). I'm a part of the "Pit Bulls" team (loaders, unloaders, builders, etc.), and my wife is the uniform coordinator. She and I are both alums of the Crowley High band in the 80s.

How in the world are y'all able to run those Operations with over 700 kids to deal with?

It takes a village :lol:

For home games, it's not too difficult, since the stadium is next to the school.  We'll have about 20 Pit Bulls and 20 parent volunteers at those games.  The Pit Bulls handle moving non-instrument equipment, water, snacks, and generally any other "grunt" work.  The parent volunteers handle things more directly involving the kids (i.e. chaperones).  With 700+ kids in the stands, the band directors need more eyes and ears.

For away games and contests, we have more Pit Bulls and volunteers.  There are two parent volunteers on each of the 15-16 buses, and 30 or so Pit Bulls.  Up to this year, we've used 4 27-foot trucks to carry instruments and props, plus a 10-foot truck for water, snacks, plume cases, and other miscellaneous stuff.  We should have 2 new semi trailers starting this year.  We also send a couple of advance scouts early in the day to wherever we are going. They work with the facility to block off space for all of the buses and truck unloading, and to rope off the band area in the stands before the Allen fan crowd arrives.  They direct the bus and truck caravan in and out, so we avoid having 20+ vehicle drivers trying to guess where to go.