The Danpodcast - Stadium Etiquette

Danpod

Good stuff Daniel and I couldn't agree more!!  I have the same grievance when we have the Leander ISD Festival of Bands every year.  Everyone comes to see their babies march, or their cute little middle schooler perform from the sidelines, right?  It's great--I love it.  But it's all I can do not to grab some kind of mega phone and scream after each high school band performs, "PARENTS, SIT YOUR *** DOWN AND LISTEN TO THE REST OF THE BANDS!  JUST BECAUSE YOUR CHILD'S BAND HAS ALREADY PERFORMED DOES NOT MEAN IT'S TIME FOR A MASS EXODUS OF PARENTS FROM YOUR SCHOOL!"  It gets me every time and it's all I can do to keep my mouth shut.  Not only do huge numbers of parents leave once their child's high school band is finished marching, but they STOMP very loudly down the bleachers and it's always while some poor Middle School is trying to be heard from the side lines.  It is so rude and selfish.  I hate it and I wish someone would say something from the PA system before it all gets started; not that it would help.  :/  If they would just give me a microphone, I'd be happy to make the announcement.   :D

I have one more story and then I'll shut up. (Hey, I'm a talker, but I DO KNOW when to shut up and listen!).  Last year at BOA San Antonio was a tight race between the top bands as always.  Leander had the next to last time slot in pre-lims since we had won BOA Austin the year before (I think that's why!), and Flowermound had the finals spot because they were defending BOA SA champions.  So there was a ton of excitement all around us, right?  A bunch of us Leander moms were sitting with a bunch of FloMo moms, and we were all sharing the love with each other; very graciously speaking of each other's programs and how excited we all were to see each other's bands perform.  Well, just before Leander goes on, a very good sized man came and sat down right next to me and he proceeds to pull out a camera with a jumbo sized lens attached to it.  He then spends all of Leander's performance getting all set up to take pictures.  Now when Flowermound takes the field, this man proceeds to take a MINIMUM of 1000 pictures.  I ain't lyin.  And the camera is clicking the entire time.  Now I understand wanting a few good pics of your kid's band, I really do.  But this was extreme, even for a parent.  In fact, I thought those guys had special passes and were allowed down on the field or something!  No special pass for this guy, but he wasn't going to let that stop him.  Let me tell you, that was just about the longest 10 minutes of my life, and it completely ruined my FloMo watching experience.  Imagine CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK for a solid 10 minutes.  And the camera is all over the place with that long lens. I couldn't see crap, and I could barely hear over all of the clicking.  And he only showed up for the last 2 bands, one of which he paid ZERO attention to.  To say I was mad after spending an entire day looking forward to seeing Leander and FloMo would be a huge understatement.  But I kept my mouth shut.  Maybe I shouldn't have....

Leander had the next to last time slot in pre-lims since we had won BOA Austin the year before (I think that's why!), and Flowermound had the finals spot because they were defending BOA SA champions.

FloMo had the final spot for the reason you stated.  However, placement at preseason regionals doesn't dictate performance slots at San Antonio.  Y'all just drew a really good time :) (that, or MFA gave y'all that spot as an apology for the weather debacle in 2015).

Well, just before Leander goes on, a very good sized man came and sat down right next to me and he proceeds to pull out a camera with a jumbo sized lens attached to it.  He then spends all of Leander's performance getting all set up to take pictures.  Now when Flowermound takes the field, this man proceeds to take a MINIMUM of 1000 pictures.  I ain't lyin.  And the camera is clicking the entire time.  Now I understand wanting a few good pics of your kid's band, I really do.  But this was extreme, even for a parent.  In fact, I thought those guys had special passes and were allowed down on the field or something! No special pass for this guy, but he wasn't going to let that stop him.

Only those with media credentials can shoot from the field.  I vaguely remember a policy in the past that didn't allow telescopic lenses in the stands, but the policy as it exists now does allow for them. Most bands have an official photographer that takes gazillions of photos for the band itself using good equipment.  Seems like your luck ran out in having to sit next to their photographer  :mellow: .

FloMo had the final spot for the reason you stated.  However, placement at preseason regionals doesn't dictate performance slots at San Antonio.  Y'all just drew a really good time :) (that, or MFA gave y'all that spot as an apology for the weather debacle in 2015).

Actually regional winners do get to pick their day for Super Regionals. As do Class Champions at GN Semis, so Leander with another Saturday spot wouldn't surprise me.

See: Rule 7.02 http://www.musicforall.org/images/PDFs/2017/Fall/Rulebook/2017_Rulebook_-_FINAL.pdf

Actually regional winners do get to pick their day for Super Regionals. As do Class Champions at GN Semis, so Leander with another Saturday spot wouldn't surprise me.

See: Rule 7.02 http://www.musicforall.org/images/PDFs/2017/Fall/Rulebook/2017_Rulebook_-_FINAL.pdf

Ahhh, there's a rule book.

Any rules in there about etiquette and how not to behave in the stands??? Maybe Daniel could write that part in.

Ahhh, there's a rule book.

Any rules in there about etiquette and how not to behave in the stands??? Maybe Daniel could write that part in.

Actually, there is some language in the handbook that allows the Contest Director to issue warnings or penalties to students/staff/pass holders who "express verbal remarks/behaviors....that are generally disrespectful and contrary to the mission or core values of Music for All and/or general human conduct and dialogue." This applies to behaviors in and out of the performance area.

Example:

If a band starts chanting "bulllllsh**" in the backstands during awards, the Contest Director can theoretically assess a penalty if that program goes on in Finals.  I don't believe Music For All has ever had a situation like that go down.  

There's nothing in the handbook about band parents being mean to each other.  Please be nice especially to me.

I sent a note out to our parents on Friday night reminding them how they should behave.  It has ALWAYS driven me crazy seeing a mass exodus of band parents leaving the stands as soon as their band performs.  I know you can't stop it, but at least I planted the seed!

Ohhh, that's awesome.  Now if only Leander ISD would send something similar out today before LISD Festival of Bands tonight!   :unsure: