13. Clear Brook
14. Katy Taylor
15. Dawson

16. Tompkins
17. Klein Oak
18. Tomball Memorial
19. Langham Creek
20. Seven Lakes

I edited my list to reflect a few changes and bands I left out. It's tough to make a consistent list because there are some bands that I'm ranking based on potential, and others based on past history/established base of success. Houston is such a large city in terms of geographic size that a lot of these bands never compete against each other. No doubt I will have North Shore and Friendswood higher than most, but I value North Shore's state finals appearance last year and Friendswood's 15th place showing at BOA San Antonio in 2015 and its history in high regard. I used to live on the south side of Houston, so I saw bands like Pearland, Dawson, Dickinson, Friendswood, Clear Brook, and North Shore a lot more than the Cypress schools, Katy schools, and The Woodlands schools.

Sad westfield isn't even mentioned in these threads anymore

They slipped off of my radar a bit to be honest, but that doesn't mean that they aren't performing at a high level. I just haven't seen enough from them recently to know for sure if they would be in the top 20. They probably would fit in there somewhere.

They slipped off of my radar a bit to be honest, but that doesn't mean that they aren't performing at a high level. I just haven't seen enough from them recently to know for sure if they would be in the top 20. They probably would fit in there somewhere.

Ehh. I saw them at Area F last year. I thought they were low balled a fair bit (would have had them somewhere around the teens), but they aren't in the top 20 in the whole metro, for sure.

I don't quite understand how Spring and Clements rank so highly on people's list while Langham is ranked lower when they all scored in the same neighborhood at UIL state (and they don't really do BOA). On the other hands North Shore was actually in finals, which wasn't a fluke (in the sense that they deserved it, but maybe last year was randomly a good year for them?) with the only Houston area band ahead of them being the Woodlands.

So I have been thinking. I have decided from here on out I want this thread to be rankings of schools based on competition analysis during the season, and during the off-season I want people to compare how the bands did in the recent season and how they have done historically to base their rankings. This goes into effect now.

I don't quite understand how Spring and Clements rank so highly on people's list while Langham is ranked lower when they all scored in the same neighborhood at UIL state (and they don't really do BOA). On the other hands North Shore was actually in finals, which wasn't a fluke (in the sense that they deserved it, but maybe last year was randomly a good year for them?) with the only Houston area band ahead of them being the Woodlands.

Spring missed Grand National Finals by 1 spot back in 2011.  That was indeed a while ago now, but even just this year Spring placed 1st at Area F 6A Prelims, above North Shore and The Woodlands; who both made State Finals.  The Wind Ensemble was also at Midwest this year.  I think people are putting a lot of stock in what they know Spring is capable of and not as much in what they've actually been achieving lately.  Also, Spring got 20th at State in 2014, Clements got 22nd. Langham didn't advance.

Clements....they're less competitive than a lot of bands but have a tendency to really impress when they show up.  They were 1st at Area E Prelims this year out of a 40 band lineup.

I dont know if you saw them in 2015 when Calima was director, but they were highly impressive for a band with the resources they have. Calima unfortunately left after one year and the success was short lived. 

1. The Woodlands

2. Friendswood

3. Spring

4. Stephen F. Austin

5. Cy Fair

6. Cy Falls

7. North Shore

8. Clements

9. College Park

10. Oak Ridge

11. Brazoswood

12. Pearland

13. Clear Brook

14. Katy Taylor

15. Dawson

16. Tompkins

17. Klein Oak

18. Tomball Memorial

19. Langham Creek

20. Seven Lakes

Who among these is 5A, and/or who do we expect to be competitive at 5A Area E this year?

2016 top 10 Houston Bands at UIL 6A and placements 

1 Woodlands 

11 North Shore

18 Stephen F Austin

19 Brazoswood

20 Cy-fair

23 Friendswood

25 Cy-Falls

29Dawson

30 Clements

32 Spring

2016 top 10 Houston bands at Conroe BOA and placements

3 Woodlands

6 College Park

7 Taylor

9 Oak Ridge

9 Pearland

10 Cy Fair

12 Brazoswood

13 Klein Oak

14 Seven Lakes

15 Langham Creek

• 4 weeks later...

2016 top 10 Houston Bands at UIL 6A and placements 

1 Woodlands 

11 North Shore

18 Stephen F Austin

19 Brazoswood

20 Cy-fair

23 Friendswood

25 Cy-Falls

29Dawson

30 Clements

32 Spring

2016 top 10 Houston bands at Conroe BOA and placements

3 Woodlands

6 College Park

7 Taylor

9 Oak Ridge

9 Pearland

10 Cy Fair

12 Brazoswood

13 Klein Oak

14 Seven Lakes

15 Langham Creek

These are the preliminary placements for UIL 6A and BOA Conroe. Final placements:

UIL 6A:

7 The Woodlands

11 North Shore

Stephen F. Austin, Brazoswood, Cy-Fair, Friendswood, Cy Falls, Dawson, Clements, and Spring did not advance to Finals (UIL 6A only takes the top 14).

BOA Conroe:

3 The Woodlands

6 The Woodlands College Park

8 James E. Taylor

9 Oak Ridge

10 Pearland

7 Cy-Fair

Brazoswood, Klein Oak, Seven Lakes, and Langham Creek did not advance to Finals (BOA Conroe only takes the top 10).

• 1 month later...

SFA has gone down due to director issues, Cy Falls down from last year, Woodlands I'm not sure about, Westfield took a big step up placing in finals at a contest they got 22nd at last year.

SFA has gone down due to director issues, Cy Falls down from last year, Woodlands I'm not sure about, Westfield took a big step up placing in finals at a contest they got 22nd at last year.

SFA still won Friendswood Marching Contest, so I am surprised about hearing director issues. I will admit I did not hear a lot about Cy Falls this year. Any idea what happened?

Another very strong year for Cy Fair. 

James E. Taylor, Pearland, Seven Lakes, Clear Brook also had great years. 

Brazoswood's super regional placement was surprising, thought they would place higher. 

Cypress Falls went to BOA St. Louis this year, a regional I thought they would definitely final in, but they ended up placing 16th in prelims. Any idea as to why Cy Falls consistently attends out of state super regionals?

Another very strong year for Cy Fair. 

James E. Taylor, Pearland, Seven Lakes, Clear Brook also had great years. 

Brazoswood's super regional placement was surprising, thought they would place higher. 

Cypress Falls went to BOA St. Louis this year, a regional I thought they would definitely final in, but they ended up placing 16th in prelims. Any idea as to why Cy Falls consistently attends out of state super regionals?

I was impressed to see Pearland do so well at the Super Regional.  A good year for Seven Lakes as well!  

It's interesting to see how things change over the years (i.e bands up and down).  For instance, Dawson seemed up and coming a few years ago, maybe behind only the Woodlands and Friendswood in the Houston area, but they have slid since their state appearance in 2013.  What happened there?  Also, neat to see Cy Falls getting recognized!