I'd like to mention Pasadena Memorial one more time as I came across a video of their McNeese marching contest run and I was blown away. Very strong stuff from the winds (as well as the fantastic percussion as we're accustomed to expect) and the visual side of things was quite clean as well. They also beat Lafayette (LA) at that contest, which is nothing to sneeze at even if Lafayette isn't at the same level they were a few years ago. PM is going to very well this upcoming year and I'm very excited for it. 

Edit: you can find said video on a certain video streaming website by simply searching "pasadena memorial band"

I'd like to mention Pasadena Memorial one more time as I came across a video of their McNeese marching contest run and I was blown away. Very strong stuff from the winds (as well as the fantastic percussion as we're accustomed to expect) and the visual side of things was quite clean as well. They also beat Lafayette (LA) at that contest, which is nothing to sneeze at even if Lafayette isn't at the same level they were a few years ago. PM is going to very well this upcoming year and I'm very excited for it.

Edit: you can find said video on a certain video streaming website by simply searching "pasadena memorial band"

I agree, I saw them at Lone Star preview and was blown away. Such a full sound, and boy do they MOVE!

I loved Pasadena Memorial’s show this year. Competed against them twice and was blown away both times

With The Woodlands being the obvious best band in Houston, and Pearland being considered second. Who would be third?

Don't forget that second in 2018 was a fight between Oak Ridge, College Park and Seven Lakes. A lot can change in a year so even with Pearland's success I can't agree that it's safe to call them second. I wouldn't be surprised if Bridgeland ends up second in Houston this year thanks to their Nationals ambitions

With The Woodlands being the obvious best band in Houston, and Pearland being considered second. Who would be third?

I think that if you were talking 2019 season it would be in between Clear Brook, SFA, Oak Ridge, and Bridgeland.

Clear Brook had a fantastic season, with a great Siren themed show. They won Friendswood, finished 5th at BOA Houston, and were 26th at San Antonio. It was performed super well, with great playing and marching, and a KILLER percussion section. Not a ground breaking show, but fantastic performance levels.

SFA had a fantastic comeback season finishing 7th at BOA Houston and 8th at BOA St Louis. Their show was entitled Dare to Dream, and in my opinion, was the best this band has performed in almost the entire decade. Very difficult visual and music book, and a great sound for a smaller band. Refine a bit, and we may hear even more from them in the future.

Oak Ridge was great as usual this season, finishing 8th at BOA Houston, winning Lone Star Preview, and finishing 24th (I could be wrong) at BOA San Antonio. If I am being honest, I was a bit concerned about this band after seeing their Friendswood performance. Wasnt bad by any means, but they were a bit ragged, and the show seemed a bit ambitious for a band that had just gotten split in half. By lone star finals I was completely blown away. The show, entitled Joy-Us, never failed to put a smile on my face, and even made me cry a little bit when I saw it at BOA San Antonio.

Lastly I have to talk about Bridgeland. I have never seen a bigger late season surge from a band. I only saw them at Cypress Showcase, I had them kind of written off after their 17th place finish at Houston, but was completely shell shocked by their massive sound. I firmly believe this band will place AT LEAST in the teens at Indy.

Don't forget that second in 2018 was a fight between Oak Ridge, College Park and Seven Lakes. A lot can change in a year so even with Pearland's success I can't agree that it's safe to call them second. I wouldn't be surprised if Bridgeland ends up second in Houston this year thanks to their Nationals ambitions

Im kind of thinking the same thing regarding Bridgeland. I think there 2019 Cypress Showcase Performance would have EASILY landed in the top 25 at Nationals. Could we see another Prosper 2018 story?

I really want Oak Ridge, Bridgeland, Clear Brook, Cypress Woods, Cinco Ranch, Tompkins, and of course my alma mater Seven Lakes to break out.

Would say the same about Pearland and SFA, but they pretty much already have.

On another note: I am overwhelmed with curiosity about Jordan, the new Katy ISD school opening this year. Their director had been the head director at Clements (+ Bluecoats staff!), and their student pool is from Tompkins and Seven Lakes. Vast potential there already!

I really want Oak Ridge, Bridgeland, Clear Brook, Cypress Woods, Cinco Ranch, Tompkins, and of course my alma mater Seven Lakes to break out.

Would say the same about Pearland and SFA, but they pretty much already have.

On another note: I am overwhelmed with curiosity about Jordan, the new Katy ISD school opening this year. Their director had been the head director at Clements (+ Bluecoats staff!), and their student pool is from Tompkins and Seven Lakes. Vast potential there already!

Having seen Oak Ridge and Clear Brook this season, I like to think they have already broken out. Oak Ridge had some very very high levels of performance and polish from LSP to the end of last season, and Clear Brook experienced a very competitively successful season. I believe Tompkins, Cinco Ranch, Bridgeland, and Cy Woods are very close to it! Quite honestly I thought Cinco was completely underscored all season, and Cy Woods just needs a bit more ambition in design imo. 

15 hours ago, TWHSParent said:

Don't forget North Shore!

Lots of Houston bands that are good/very good, but not quite (at least consistently) at the SA/UIL finalist tier. That's why I enjoy the Houston Regional so much even though there aren't so many at that higher tier. It makes for a very interesting contest.

Very good point. I have noticed that from around 2010-now, The only constant is TWHS. The "second" best band in Houston is different almost each year.

On 3/17/2020 at 10:31 PM, SpartanBandAlum said:

I really think the Nats trip is exactly what Bridgeland needs for a breakout year

I have a feeling the trip will have alot more to it than people expect.

• 1 year later...

Although I cannot list the best bands in Houston, I can tell you who can be a huge threat in the 2021 season. 

-The Woodlands: If I were to make a list of the best bands in Houston The Woodlands will be #1 hands down. This band has been strong for the longest time placing high in BOA competitions, Grand Nationals, and UIL. With their 8th place in 2018 UIL state, 2nd in BOA Houston 2019, Grand Nationals finalist 8th place 2019, and 5th place in the 2020 UIL state contest they will impress us once again in this coming season. 

- Pearland: A very consistant band, they perform well and play well. If The Woodlands are 1st then Pearland is for sure runner- up they've made finalist 14th place in BOA San Antonio 2019, 6th place in BOA Houston 2019,and 6th in the UIL State contest 2020 Pearland is a very strong band. 

-SFA: After The Woodlands and Pearland it gets more interesting. SFA had a rough season in 2018 but in 2019 they really had a comeback. they placed 7th in BOA Houston and 8th in BOA St. Louis, they are familiar with being a finalist if they continue to grow they will have a great chance of placing top 3 at a BOA contest thats how close they are.  

-Seven Lakes: This band knows how to perform at a high level, if The Woodlands is the best in Area F and Pearland is the best in Area E, then Seven Lakes is debatably the best in Area I. In 2018 they placed 20th at the UIL state contest they also showed to be strong in 2019 and 2020 placing 9th at the  UIL state contest. This band should never be underestimated.

-Oak Ridge: This band has really proven themselves especially in 2018 UIL state contest where they placed 14th place and 6th place in 2018 BOA Houston. In my opinion their 2018 season was better than their 2019 season but it always depends on the judges and where they will place you. But without a doubt this band would place top 10 in the best bands in Houston list. Who knows 2021 could be their year. 

- Cy- Fair: Once again another consistant band in the mix, they march well, and perform at high level. They made 23rd at the 2018 UIL state contest, 5th at the BOA Houston 2018, and a strong 2019 show. If they continue this trend they can be a band to look out for in the 2021 season. 

- Dawson: .... And again another consistant band with their strong placement of 18th place at the 2018 UIL state contest and a strong 2020 season aswell this band has gone far throughout the years and not just their band, but their guard is great. This band has excellent marching technique but their missing one thing that could make them unstoppable. Maybe they can find it in their 2021 season.  

-Bridgeland: For their 4th year in existence they are one of the best in Houston and thats really good, imagine them in a few more years they can be legendary. Although they started their 2019 season with a bit of a rough start they had a great comeback later on in the season. On their 3rd year of existence (2019) they beat Cy-Fair and Oak Ridge in the Cypress Showcase and won 1st. Don't underestimate this band. 

- North Shore: Although not big on BOA's  they make a huge statement at UIL, they were a finalist 10th place at the 2016 UIL, and made 19th place in the 2018 UIL state contest. This band is interesting because I believe this band consist of only seniors because its called the North Shore Senior Band. With this advantage these guys are power houses. 

- Cy- Woods: At last the final band I want to talk about is Cy- Woods. For a while they've been in the background until their 10th place at the 2020 UIL state contest. What's interesting about thsi band is that many people (from what I've heard) have mixed feelings about their 2020 UIL placement. Can they prove they deserved that spot in 2021 without a doubt I bet they will suprise us. 

other greats I didn't have time to write about but deserve recognition: Brazoswood, Clements, Clear Brook, Tompkins, Jersey Village, College Park, JET, Katy.