Min 30, Max 36...

if the top 2 from any of the classes aren't in the first 30, they get added.

Worst case scenario the 30 consists solely of bands from 1 class, which means 2 bands from each of the remaining 3 classes are added. 2x3 = 6 + 30=36[/quote

My bad, the nerd in said 46. I thought that was wrong but thought they know more than me. Of course I could have heard it wrong too.

Min 30, Max 36...

if the top 2 from any of the classes aren't in the first 30, they get added.

Worst case scenario the 30 consists solely of bands from 1 class, which means 2 bands from each of the remaining 3 classes are added. 2x3 = 6 + 30=36[/quote

My bad, the nerd in said 46. I thought that was wrong but thought they know more than me. Of course I could have heard it wrong too.

He could've misspoke too.  It happens  :)

It's from each day though that two bands from each class need represented. So technically the max would be 42 bands in semi finals. Say all of the 30 highest scoring groups were in AAAA. That means they would then take the two highest scoring groups in each class from EACH day. So 2 from A on Thurs AND Friday, etc for AA and AAA. I think most people believe we are expecting 37 or 38 to advance to semi's today.

It's from each day though that two bands from each class need represented. So technically the max would be 42 bands in semi finals. Say all of the 30 highest scoring groups were in AAAA. That means they would then take the two highest scoring groups in each class from EACH day. So 2 from A on Thurs AND Friday, etc for AA and AAA. I think most people believe we are expecting 37 or 38 to advance to semi's today.

Nope... they only take the top 2 it doesn’t matter which day.

Section 12: Grand National Championships – Semi-Finals Competition and Awards

12.01 Following the presentation of Participation Awards, Semi-Finalists bands will be announced in random

order. Semi-Finalists will be determined by the process listed below.

Bands of America Official Procedures and Adjudication Handbook

Thirty (30) Bands (or more if necessary to accommodate participation by all classes) will advance to

Semi-Finals. Three criteria will be used to select Semi-Finalists Bands. They are as follows:

(a) The 11 highest scoring Bands in each Prelims (22 total), regardless of class will advance; plus

(B) The next eight (8) highest scoring Bands determined from a combination of remaining scores from

Prelims 1 and 2, regardless of class will advance; plus

© The two (2) highest scoring Bands from each of the four classes from each Prelims, should they not

already be among the Bands selected based on criteria a. and b. above, will advance.

In the event Bands shall be selected to compete in Semi-Finals only on the basis of their classification,

and not be among the Bands selected on the basis of scores from criteria (a) or (B) above, such Bands

shall be slated by draw to perform in the earliest Performance times in Semi-Finals. The start time for

Semi-Finals shall be adjusted (earlier) as necessary to accommodate more than thirty (30) Performances.

Semi-Finalists, RANDOM ORDER:

Union
Mason
Broken Arrow
Castle
Fishers 
Marcus
Centerville 
Owasso
Center Grove 
O’Fallon Township
Winston Churchill
Dobyns-Bennett
The Woodlands
North Hardin
Carmel
Blue Springs
Avon
Homestead
Fort Mill
Round Rock
Flower Mound
Plymouth Canton
Franklin
Marian Catholic 
Walton
Archbishop Alter
DeSoto Central
Jenison
Beechwood
Adair County
Bassett
James F Byrnes
Lawrence Township
Norton
Central Hardin
Prosper 
Mililani

We can determine the following:

Marcus, Round Rock, and Winston Churchill made Top 11 on Thursday Prelims.

The Woodlands and Flower Mound made Top 11 on Friday Prelims.

Prosper made the Next 8.

This is not necessarily true, although I think it's probably a good assumption. Prosper is in the "bottom 8" of semis (aside from additional qualifiers for class representation). According to the BOA adjudication handbook, the top 11 each day, plus the next 8 top scoring groups are considered for the bottom 8. Out of those 30, the groups with the 8 lowest scores will be in the first four and last four performing groups.

This means that if the 19 top scoring prelliminary bands were on the same day, than the top 11 from that day would advance along with the next 8 (all from that same day). The top 11 from the other day would also advance. Then the lowest 8 advancing groups from those 30 would be in the bottom 8, in this case, all from the weaker day (but in the top 11 for their day)

That means that Churchill and Round Rock could very well have been in the 12-15 placement for Thursday but still in the top 22 for semis.

This is not necessarily true, although I think it's probably a good assumption. Prosper is in the "bottom 8" of semis (aside from additional qualifiers for class representation). According to the BOA adjudication handbook, the top 11 each day, plus the next 8 top scoring groups are considered for the bottom 8. Out of those 30, the groups with the 8 lowest scores will be in the first four and last four performing groups.

This means that if the 19 top scoring prelliminary bands were on the same day, than the top 11 from that day would advance along with the next 8 (all from that same day). The top 11 from the other day would also advance. Then the lowest 8 advancing groups from those 30 would be in the bottom 8, in this case, all from the weaker day (but in the top 11 for their day)

That means that Churchill and Round Rock could very well have been in the 12-15 placement for Thursday but still in the top 22 for semis.

I went ahead and deleted that post since I want to be absolutely sure of the general placements.