Area H Predictions?

I'll never understand why uil results can be so ridiculous some times. O'Connor over leander in music?... Southwest over vista in music????? Strong stuff music judge two was smoking.

Because maybe... Just maybe... Some judges like something other than obnoxious loud horns! It bordered on tacky at times... And the speakers in front were turned up so loud, it was hard to hear the actual band, but maybe that's the plan if your music portion of the program isn't strong this year and you're relying on your reputation to get you through to the next round...

Because maybe... Just maybe... Some judges like something other than obnoxious loud horns! It bordered on tacky at times... And the speakers in front were turned up so loud, it was hard to hear the actual band, but maybe that's the plan if your music portion of the program isn't strong this year and you're relying on your reputation to get you through to the next round...

No one I have seen is either:

a) Bordering on tacky.

B) Coveing any shortfalls up.

c) Has any shortfalls to cover up.

Area prelims are always full of discrepancies. There is always a judge or two that is pretty solitary in their rankings. That's not because of what has been implied, just another set of eyes and ears seeing and hearing the show from a different perspective.

So let's see what happens tonight.

Here's the Prelims scores.  It's a shame that there were not 25 bands as 5 or more deserve to advance here.  Congrats to those advancing.  I cannot see how Vandy would tie with Leander, it was clear that Leander won in the finals.  I even had Westlake ahead of Vandy in 3rd but then again I'm just a spectator.  

If O'Connor cleans up the performance they have a legitimate shot at finals in the San Antonio Super Regional.  I personally had O'Connor and Judson ahead of Vista Ridge in finals.  I had Vista in 5th Music and 6th in Marching in the finals, as stated congrats to those advancing all of which have great shot at State finals.

1477777679778802.jpg

Yep, they finally put them all up. Thanks!

https://www.uiltexas.org/music/marching-band/area

Anyone know what happened with Johnson in Area D? Did well enough in the prelims but it looks like they didn't perform in the finals and were replaced by Anderson.

What can lead to disqualifications? Do "alternates" ever make it to State?

Anyone know what happened with Johnson in Area D? Did well enough in the prelims but it looks like they didn't perform in the finals and were replaced by Anderson.

They have chosen not to compete at UIL state. They cater their shows far more to BOA.

So this year CTJ will compete at the BOA Super Regional, have a normal school week with regular rehearsal, and then leave early for BOA Grand Nationals.

See this official post by CTJ's band director: http://www.txbands.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6734-bands-missing-state-for-grand-nationals/?p=94651

Thanks for pointing me to that. I hadn't read through the Area D thread. Just looked odd that they weren't judged in finals. I saw them perform earlier this season and would have been surprised if they hadn't advanced.

My other question still: What's the point of designating an "alternate" band to state? I was at Area H tonight and Brandeis was announced as the alternate. Under what circumstances would an alternate get to play at state? (It seems that Johnson avoided this problem in Area D by not competing in the finals so it didn't come down to them declining the spot.)