2016 Nationals

I know it is early but I can't help imagine this year's G-NATs already. I feel that despite Broken Arrow looking to not attend this year, it could be one of the most competitive competitions national competitions to ever occur. With the G-NAT regulars in attendance such as Avon, Marion Catholic, and Carmel as well as some of the rising bands in Texas: Reagan, Cedar Park, CTJ, and Leander, making finals could be as hard as ever. I think this year we will see bands that could be BOA region winners not even cracking the top half of the finals latter which is CRAZY.

(Sidenote: Westlake is also confirmed to be going to G-Nats this year, as it is on the Music for All website.)

It is just September but I will take a swing at making a rough order for finals based on which bands have are historically doing well and which bands are gaining momentum.

*NOTICE: All groups are put into alphabetical order. Each band in these group has been put there because they have the potential to beat any other band in that group and it is too early right now to narrow it down much further without complete speculation.*

Top (1-5):

Avon

CTJ

Leander

Reagan

Tarpon Springs

These are the bands that I can see taking home the eagle this year. All of these bands run difficult shows with a strong focus on GE that is supported by visuals and music. Avon, of course, I expect to do well this year as they have a history of doing so, but a top 3 placement won't be so easy. Even the legendary Avon will need to bring something very impressive to the table to win. CTJ has really asserted itself as a powerhouse in Texas over the last three years since "Chameleon" and continues to bring new, unpredictable things to the table. They are my early vote for the GE cake this year but it could go to any band here. Leander has continued to grow since 2014 with "Color Study" and is a band that is hard to place as last year they had so much momentum but we unable to perform at BOA SA, where they could stand up against Reagan, Flower Mound, and Hebron. The real question is, can they keep that momentum going after 13 months into G-Nats the next November? If they bring GE like they have the last few years, who knows how high they really could go. Reagan also really began to grow last year with "Every(one)". Their announcement to go to G-Nats after one year in the top of the rankings seems hasty but I have confidence that they can improve upon last season with their new design team and a new director. I cannot wait to see how they choose to solidify themselves as a dominant competitor. Last, but not least, Tarpon Springs plans to come back to Indianapolis looking for the eagle once again after two hugely successful seasons. It seems they are trying to win it again, and with Broken Arrow gone, it seems the chance is now, but this year could pose great challenges. How they choose to follow up last year could be interesting because getting a caption might be very difficult for them this year.

Middle (6-9):

Bowie

Carmel

Cedar Park

William Mason

This group is particularly stronger than most in a G-Nats competition I feel. Bowie winning BOA Austin two years ago and Cedar Park being only .05 points from winning it last year compared to the 4th and 5th place finishes of William Mason and Carmel last year will be truly interesting. Bowie has been consistently a strong band for the last few years and if they keep that up, they could do very well. I see one concern for them, however. Their head band director Kim Shuttlesworth has left to go teach at the new Glenn high school. That could be trouble for them, or they could improve even more. They are truly a wildcard pick for this group but the potential is still there to place well. Carmel high school has always been good but seems to be overshadowed by Avon historically. I can't see them winning but a run at the top 5 is definitely possible and the same goes for William Mason. Cedar Park saw significant growth last year with a 5th place finished at BOA San Antonio and a State Championship in 5A to add to their collection of achievements. They have always run a more traditional style show so if they continue to follow that, they will do well musically for sure, but GE could be tough when competing nationally. Their show this year could be very different though and it may see them break into the top 5 for sure so we will have so see.

Bottom(10-12):

Marion Catholic

Owasso

Union

None of these bands are from Texas so I don't have much to say about them. They are all very good and could make the top 6 in any given year. I think that speaks a lot to the strength of some of the bands going this year and cannot wait to see how things play out!

If you have any thoughts or if I missed any key bands/points, I would love to here you all express your opinions about it!

Cedar Park H.S., TX
Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
James Bowie H.S.. TX

Leander H.S., TX
Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

Whitesboro H.S., TX

Listed in Alpha order per the BOA Site - 6 Texas bands in Indy this year

this is from the BOA Site - I cannot speak to Whitesboro, as I have never seen them perform - but I do know that the other 5 Texas bands are all VERY strong in the Texas DQ BOA - all from Austin/SA Area and will all likely make finals.in Indy.

the top 5 listed,  have placed in BOA regional, super regional and UIL state finals in recent years and I know that 4 of the 5 have placed in Grand Nats finals in previous trips. Many of these bands will run the gauntlet this year of the BOA Super regional in SA, followed by the UIL 6A, and then the Indy Grand Nats in an 8 day span - a challenge that Avon, Carmel and Marion Catholic will all do from their homes. 

I feel that the State of Texas will be well represented in Indy in November and think there is a great chance the Eagle will return to the lone star state

Be sure to cheer and support your TXBands in this season

• 2 weeks later...

I think Whitesboro stands a really good chance depending on the prelims days work out. Seeing that they'll like perform on Friday, if the Indiana and Ohio and Kentucky small bands get performance times on Thursday, they can have a clear path to semis - and they would be the first A or AA band from Texas to do so. Even though the race to semis and finals is an absolute mess for the bigger schools (I counted about 37 bands that should be in semis and another 10-15 that would at least be on the bubble in a normal year), this is a relatively calm year for Class A.

It would be absolutely amazing to see every Texas band make it to semis and have five make finals again - this is as good a year as any to make that happen.

Have not seen Ronald Reagan or Claudia Taylor Johnson, but what I have seen of Leander has me feeling like this is going to be a very exciting year for Texas.  I really think their approach to their soundscapes and source music has given them one of the more unique identities and approaches out there, especially last year and this year.  I have a huge respect for arrangers that can make the minimalist/contemporary/oddball stuff work and I think Ryan George and Colin McNutt have hit it out of the park once again this year.  Incredibly fluid, exciting, and unique music for them.  Something that I think is incredibly exciting at the high school level is when you can tell by the first impact who is on the field.  There is no doubt that Leander has reached that kind of recognition for me.  They have found their niche and are running with it.  On top of that, I think what they are doing visually is really exciting too.  The use of their prop as a thematic element as well as a focus for staging musical moments is done SO well, other bands have done that but Leander is doing it just as well as anyone to my eye.  I think their drill is also very well constructed, fantastic guard integration, and just top to bottom really exciting.  I'm not going to try and place them in terms of prediction, but I think that regardless of where they end up they are going to make a huge splash and be a show that is talked about a ton after the season is over.  

Looking outside of Texas O'Fallon Township has my FULL and undivided attention. Have caught some videos online and it seems like an incredibly well designed, well performed, and just fun show. It's a tough year at Nats but regardless of where they place I think they have a huge hit for themselves.

Caught Carmel yesterday on the Dayton cast, who is definitely one of the biggest competitors our Texas bands will face at Grand Nationals.

Show is called Adagio Presto, opener is Mahler 5 and the rest slips my mind.  

Overall thoughts.......very streamlined, thematically simplistic (in a very good way), and very clear in its approach.  I have to say, their Mahler 5 opening is going to be one of THE music moments of the fall for sure.  It's the only band off the top of my head who isn't starting with a quiet but quick build into a really high energy opening moment.  It's a slow burn, long developing, and pretty stunningly beautiful gradual crescendo and the payoff is warm, beautiful, and shows off their incredibly lush brass.  After that it's your typical Carmel geometric drill with their AMAZING guard interspersed throughout it with some really fantastic low brass stuff going on.  But that opening, gonna be something really special in November for sure.  

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, thoughts on another big dog at Nationals after this weekend.  

William Mason - World out of Balance

This is a fantastic show.  The music is so tired in terms of it being used (it's your typical Barber stuff) but they breath a ton of new life into it and still make it fantastic to listen to.  So kudos to them on that, if you can make Medea sound like something new then good job.  Some HUGE Music GE moments throughout the show courtesy of their pretty amazing brass and some fantastic subtle synth usage that is pretty chilling.  Visually, really unfinished in an aesthetic way.  No costuming or silks or any kind of aesthetic stuff outside their uniforms and props.  But drill wise and color guard wise, it's top tier stuff up there with what I've seen of Carmel and expect from Tarpon Springs.  Show stopped at the ballad.  But overall, easy medal contender as of now and I expect big things from them.  

Ok, very early for this and although I haven't seen some of these shows yet I think a few safe assumptions can be made. I will say for GN finals there seems to be 9 locks in my opinion. At this stage I would be shocked, SHOCKED if all of the 5 big dogs from Texas don't make it but I wish Whitesboro all the success in the world. Along with that I think Carmel, Avon, Tarpon Springs and William Mason are locks. So the way I see it now there are 3 remaining spots assuming a huge upset or shake up doesn't take place. Unless you disagree what are everybody's early thoughts on whose these other bands will be? Harrison? Marian Catholic? Blue Springs? I didn't even look to see if Union or Owasso are going? Castle? Franklin? Lawrence Central? Does anybody know how any of these bands are progressing? Even with the absence of Broken Arrow these finals are going to be electric, can't wait! Has Texas ever sent 5 to GN finals? Not even positive we've had four in the same year? Probably have but I'm not sure but I think five would have to be a record...

Ok, very early for this and although I haven't seen some of these shows yet I think a few safe assumptions can be made. I will say for GN finals there seems to be 9 locks in my opinion. At this stage I would be shocked, SHOCKED if all of the 5 big dogs from Texas don't make it but I wish Whitesboro all the success in the world. Along with that I think Carmel, Avon, Tarpon Springs and William Mason are locks. So the way I see it now there are 3 remaining spots assuming a huge upset or shake up doesn't take place. Unless you disagree what are everybody's early thoughts on whose these other bands will be? Harrison? Marian Catholic? Blue Springs? I didn't even look to see if Union or Owasso are going? Castle? Franklin? Lawrence Central? Does anybody know how any of these bands are progressing? Even with the absence of Broken Arrow these finals are going to be electric, can't wait! Has Texas ever sent 5 to GN finals? Not even positive we've had four in the same year? Probably have but I'm not sure but I think five would have to be a record...

This will be the 3rd time, that I know of, that we have sent 6 bands (2007 & 2002). The most we have had make the finals is 5 in 2013. I have great confidence that this will happen a 2nd time this year. I have attached the Texas bands that I know have attended since 1985. The ones in green made the finals.

Texas Bands at Grand Nationals - 1985 to Date.rtf

This will be the 3rd time, that I know of, that we have sent 6 bands (2007 & 2002). The most we have had make the finals is 5 in 2013. I have great confidence that this will happen a 2nd time this year. I have attached the Texas bands that I know have attended since 1985. The ones in green made the finals.

Duh, and 2006. Missed it on my own spreadsheet! This will be the 4th time we have sent 6 - 2016, 2007, 2006, & 2002.

Well it can't be Harrison or Blue Springs since they're not going :P

I think that Homestead has a spectacular show that is going to shine when it's clean. If Owasso and Union are on like last year, they could make those last two spots. Ayala and Wando are also bands to watch for the last couple spots too.

I don't think there will be any new bands in GN finals this year, but I would bet on Castle or Franklin if there were.

I actually did the same thing way back when I made my own list.  Really the only other ones I'm aware of that you missed was Clear Brook in '09 and Hidalgo in '08.  Hidalgo placed 4th in their class in prelims out of 13 1A bands, but you have to make Top 2 to advance to Semis in class placement.  This is what we're hoping Whitesboro will be able to do this year at GN.

I love BOA History! Especially instances where out-of-state bands attend Texas regionals, and Texas bands attend out of state regionals.  Only 11 bands showed up to the 1992 Denton Regional, but one was Onate HS in New Mexico, and one band from Kentucky (Boyle County HS). Duncanville won this regional (yeah...imagine that).  The Tulsa bands (Broken Arrow, Union, Owasso, Jenks) as well as the Moore bands also used to regularly compete in the Denton regional as well as the Alamodome during the 90s, and would score quite high, but now rarely compete.  Union, Jenks and Owasso have all attended Texas regionals during the 2000s, but after Broken Arrow won the first St. Louis regional held in the Trans World dome in 1997, they stopped competing in Texas entirely.  I'd love to see them come back.

Other fun facts:

1985 - 5 of the 16 bands that competed at the pilot Houston regional were from out of state.
1985 - A band from Alberta, Canada (Magrath HS) competed in the pilot Idaho regional this year.
2000 - Hidalgo missed Finals by one place at SA, despite being a BOA 1A band. They placed ahead of Connally (13th), as well as Cedar Park (14th).  CP would win the State Marching contest the following year in Class 4A.
2002 - SEVEN out-of-state bands competed at the Arlington Regional: Vandebilt Catholic (LA), Lafayette (LA), Goddard (KS), Irondale (MN), Collinsville (OK), Ponca City (OK) and Westmoore (OK).  Irondale placed 9th in Finals. Six bands also attended Arlington in '01, and five in '03.
2002 - Carmel (IN) comes to SA, and WINS (this fact is more well known).  They placed 2nd to Bell in prelims, but won out in Finals.
2003 - All 3 Class AA medalists at San Antonio are out-of-state bands.  Loveland (CO) took 1st, Bellevue West (Nebraska) took 2nd, Blue Valley West (KS) took 3rd. 5 total OOS bands attended. Ayala (CA) also came very close to making finals, placing 16th.
2003 - Texas takes Top 3 placements at Grand National Semi-Finals (Westfield, Reagan, Bell).
2003 - The first year we had Texas bands attend out-of-state BOA Regionals aside from GN.  5 El Paso schools (Andress, Americas, Coronado, Bel Air and JM Hanks) all attended the the regional in Phoenix (AZ) that year, which is only a 6 hour drive from El Paso (closer than SA or Denton/Arlington).  Americas, Coronado and Bel Air all made Finals.  Bel Air placed 2nd to Etiwanda in Prelims, dropping to 4th in Finals.  Coronado placed 3rd in both Prelims and Finals.  Etiwanda (CA) won the regional handily by a 5 1/2 point margin.
2004 - 1 band from Illinois and 1 from Tennesee attend Arlington.
2004 - The year of the La Joya, Tx Regional.  BOA's 1st attempt at establishing a Rio Grande Valley regional that would eventually find its home in McAllen.  Churchill won this regional by a margin of 5.30 .
2004 - LD Bell was the 1st Texas band to attend the St. Louis Super Regional.  They won.
2005 - El Paso Hanks and Americas placed 7th and 8th at the California regional in 2005.
2005 - El Paso Montwood attended the Flagstaff, AZ regional, but didn't make Finals.
2006 - Victoria Memorial placed 8th at the Flagstaff regional.
2006 - Mansfield attends the St. Louis regional, but didn't make Finals.
2007 - El Paso holds a regional.  The regional was poorly attended, and 2 Colorado bands took the top 2 placements (Rampart and Air Academy).
2007 - El Paso Hanks and Americas place 8th & 9th at the California regional.
2008 - Americas places 4th at the California regional, and continues to make Finals in years to come.
2009 - Birdville attends the St. Louis Super Regional placing 7th in prelims (including Best Music in 3A) and 10th in Finals.  They become regular attendees of this contest.
2009 - Hanks places 4th at the Utah Regional.
2010 - El Paso Montwood attends Utah Regional, but doesn't make Finals.
2010 - Birdville and William B. Travis attend St. Louis.  Birdville makes Finals, Travis narrowly misses out.
2011 - Hanks places 6th at Utah Regional
2011 - Austin Bowie and Clear Brook become first bands to attend Atlanta Super Regional setting a trend for future years.  Both make finals (2nd & 7th).

What a great history of Texas' influence on the National scene.  I too wish BOA would move GN around so that other regional bands can compete on a national level, however, the Super Regionals do a good job providing that.  Overall I think BOA does a great job offering venues and competitions that continues to push programs and innovations in the Marching Band World.

That said, I think this year Texas will be represented exceptionally well.  With the two LISD schools, CTJ, Reagan and Bowie all performing at an extremely high level, they could all very well make the top 7-8.  And what's more exciting is how different all of these schools are in terms of identity, sound and design.  What a great year to see them all go head to head on a national scene.  Likewise, they all face each other at BOA SA too as a bit of a preview.

My personal pick is Leander and Reagan make top 3.  Their innovations in design and music will carry them both.  This is in no way a slight to the others because CTJ is probably the most unique of all of them and at the end of the day, ANY of these programs could make top 3 if not win the whole thing.