Marching season always creeps up on me! I added all the BOA Texas events for prediction: http://www.txbands.com/predict/

State can't go live until we have area contest winners, and area predictions can't go up until the results from regional contests are finalized, so that will be later.

If there are additional, non BOA events that you'd like added, please feel free to post them here, or you can add them yourself at the following link:

http://www.txbands.com/predict/public_addevent.php

Keep in mind, some events don't lend themselves to the way TxBands predictions work such as events where there are multiple divisions and classes, rather than a standard 1 through 10 ranking.

Keep in mind, some events don't lend themselves to the way TxBands predictions work such as events where there are multiple divisions and classes, rather than a standard 1 through 10 ranking.

USBands contests are the major ones that come to mind for this rule.  If you submit a predictions request for USBands contests, they won't be approved.  That's nothing against them (We love YEA and their programs!), our system was just designed with the Prelims-Finals format in mind (or formats similar enough to it where there's a clear grand champion, 2nd place, 3rd etc.)

Also, remember to double check spelling...and if the school is named after a Texas hero or political icon (Travis, Bowie, Austin, MacArthur, Lee, Nimitz etc.) try to include the city name with the school.  We edit the submissions before we post them, but it's easy to overlook.  Help us out!

One more thing....if you're frustrated with the Predictions score page not being updated quick enough it's probably because we don't have a full list of results for that contest yet immediately on hand.  If you have them or know where to get them, post or link us to them in the appropriate contest forum and someone will get on it eventually. 

• 3 weeks later...

Things that need attention on the predictions page:

- There shouldn't be two Lone Star Preview events.

- The Mansfield Preview of Champions event was probably submitted the day before the contest. But it is virtually pointless (no predictions were entered for the event) and should be removed.

Also, I may be impatient, but when will the Friendswood Marching Festival results and Birdville ISD Marching Festival results be put in?

I emailed the results of both contests to bands@txbands.com this past weekend.

Is it possible to add or drop bands from currently existing predictions lists?

For instance, for the BOA Conroe predictions, Clear Creek has been dropped and Westfield and Dawson have been added since the event was created.

I don't think there is (Alex?). Like say if we dropped Clear Creek from the list, everyone who predicted Clear Creek in finals would have gaping holes in their prediction "ballot".

Best case, it wouldn't be fair for those who submitted their predictions before the band(s) was dropped.  Worse case, it would screw up the algorithm that calculates the scores for the game and possibly crash it since there would be a band being voted for that isn't on the list.

The fact that bands are regularly added/dropped was the reason we used to wait until just a few days before the contest before posting each event instead of weeks before.  Then people complained that events weren't getting posted or posted too late, or something would be wrong and it would be too late to fix it. I think the current way is the best way, and with the new way Alex set it up to calculate scores where it still gives you partial credit for not getting the placement exactly right, is a great way to deal with the problem of bands that should be on the list but aren't.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in response to your question, JTApex!

Predictions is designed to support events with up to 14 finalists (i.e. a BOA Super Regional). When the analysis is calculated we take every participating band in the list and look at how people are predicting them. Every time a band appears in 1st place on a prediction list they receive 14 points. Second place gets 13 points. Third place, 12 points, etc. Those points are summed per band and each school is ranked.

Probably not super scientific. We're always open to tweaking anything if someone out there has a better suggestion on how to analyze the data.