BOA Grand Nationals 2015 - Texas Bands Going?

Also, this will be the most competition that 3A has seen since before 4A. Because Harrison is likely not to go next year, depending on how Franklin does this year, I wouldn't be too shocked to see a LISD sweep of 3A.

Given the current growth rates in the LISD schools, most if not all of the attending LISD bands will probably be 4A.

The magic number would be 2267 for 9-12 to be in 4A. However, the number of people per grade tends to decline for each higher grade. Therefore, if 10-12 is <1700, then the band stays in 3A. This would likely keep Vista Ridge in 3A and bring Rouse back down to 3A. It may even keep Vandegrift in 3A, but that's less likely. Leander has an IB magnet that boosts its numbers a bit from projections, but it should still be 3A.

So no placement predictions just yet.  

That little snippet of The Woodlands from their game is REALLY nice, music sounds epic.  With the right package, easily a contender again.  

I'll echo what I said about Hebron on the other thread.  That ballad is going to be a big ol GE Music explosion.  As stated, I think this show with the right elements, could be just as good or better than "World of Wonder".  It's pretty bare bones right now as to be expected, but I see the potential, and it's huge.  Absolutely cannot wait to see where it goes.

Haven't seen anything of Round Rock, but they sound like they're on track for another great GN showing.

Keller seems relatively ahead of where they usually are.  Nice sounds, great drill, huge and fantastic color guard, and great music.  I say potential finalist.

Same can be said about Keller Central.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm excited to see what they do, they REALLY kicked it up when they got to nationals last year, along with Cedar Ridge, their improvement from San Antonio to Nationals was pretty astounding.  When bands have a goal or special occasion, it tends to do some amazing things.  Would love to see them up in the top 4 again.

So feeling like this is A LOT easier to predict than SA.  My first nationals prediction, sure it might change.

UPPER TIER:

1)  Broken Arrow - Honestly, they've been SO CLOSE the last two times.  Last years score would have won Nationals most other years.  I don't see them changing any.  Saw a poster of their show, called "Wild Blue Orchid".  No idea what it's about.  But it'll be fantastic no doubt.

2)  Hebron - Mmmmmmk.  This might be bold.  However, what I've seen of them is SO GOOD.  If Arlington is indication, they've cleaned up visually this year.  Music GE will be huge at nationals.  Performance is strong.  Can't wait to see this show finished in late season form.  We haven't seen them compete this late and on that stage, so this could be very interesting.

3)  Avon - Ok.  What I have seen seems reaaaaly strong.  Another INCREDIBLY taxing show visually.  Musically they always flourish in late October/Early November.  GE they'll be typical Avon.  Definitely a contender.

4)  The Woodlands - Haven't seen anything.  But it's a Nats year.  And you can bet that anything before then is not what they'll reach in Indy.  Not even close.

5)  Round Rock - Bold you might say?   I say not.  They could probably even potentially place a spot or two higher.  Or lower.  Ya never know.  They seem stronger out the gate this year, and in 2013 they EXPLODED between San Antonio and Nationals.  Absolutely transformed.  You can bet like The Woodlands, San Antonio won't even be close to their final form.

6)  Carmel - Should probably put them higher, but that might be my inner Texas homer showing.  Visually fantastic, not sure musically.  We'll see.  Not a lot to go off of yet.  

SECOND TIER:

7)  William Mason - Feel like there will be a break off here.  Very strong program every year in recent years.  Just all around solid.  

8)  Blue Springs - I feel with all my heart they should have been in 2013.  They're a fantastic program.  This years "Sublimenal Messages" seems incredibly exciting.  Using the tune Bluecoats made famous in the band world, Hymn of Axiom, but using it in the context of the lyrics for their show.  Go read them, they're quite chilling.

9)  Homestead - Seen nothing.  But an incredibly strong program from Indiana.  Kinda like Duncanville in that they're a band that doesn't do a lot of BOA (or hasn't since the 1990s).  Fantastic band no doubt.

THIRD TIER:

10)  Lawrence Township - Strong first year after the Lawrence North/Central merger.  Sure they'll improve upon that.

11)  Marian Catholic - Was shocked they were in 10th/11th last year.  Think they could be higher, just a lot of strong bands.

12)  Keller - Yes Keller.  I think beating Coppell/Jenks/Aledo/KC/ect. Saturday was incredibly impressive with an incomplete show.  They seem really solid........and they still have a lot of time to grow even more.  If they can be in or in shooting range of finals at San Antonio, that will only affirm this.  

My first one, will likely change and evolve after St. Louis/Indy/Atlanta/and San Antonio.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Oh my goodness, I just went back and watched Hebron’s 2015 Grand Nats performance again. I forgot how KILLER that show was! Especially the sax solo. And the beautiful oboe pre-show and finale music. Gorgeous. No wonder they won music that year in Indy!

Yes! I recently rewatched it and I remember tearing up the first time I heard the ballad

It's interesting to go back and read some of the posts on predictions for 2015.  That Hebron show really was one for the ages!  It's also interesting to see that Keller and Keller Central were considered so close to each other just three years ago.  KC has done well to be sure, but Keller has quickly become a legit contender at just about every level.  I wonder what the difference has been?

Yea, it's crazy how much can change in just a few years. I'm very interested in seeing how Central will do this year and even more curious about Timbercreek seeing how they really improved last year. And now that my little brother is in the Keller band, I am hoping that they continue to make big improvements so that they can do amazing at GN 2019

Yea, it's crazy how much can change in just a few years. I'm very interested in seeing how Central will do this year and even more curious about Timbercreek seeing how they really improved last year. And now that my little brother is in the Keller band, I am hoping that they continue to make big improvements so that they can do amazing at GN 2019

GN 2019 is going to be a BLAST!