BOA Grand Nationals 2015 - Texas Bands Going?

• 2 weeks later...

Cedar Ridge's head band director is leaving. There is a job posting for it. Apparently they were informed at a band booster meeting that they were not going to GN. On  the Cedar Ridge band FB page there are some comments about if from some really unhappy parents.

That's too bad. I was looking forward to seeing them there again. That still leaves us with 5 Texas bands going this year.

I don't know why, but that's what the BOA website says for both the Atlanta Super Regional (which precludes San Antonio) and Grand Nationals.

One thing to note is that it will be significantly cheaper to have the only big trip of the year be to Atlanta instead of to both SA and GN (Indy).

And they haven't been to Atlanta before, so it will be a unique experience while also saving money.

One thing to note is that it will be significantly cheaper to have the only big trip of the year be to Atlanta instead of to both SA and GN (Indy).

And they haven't been to Atlanta before, so it will be a unique experience while also saving money.

I think they'll do great there and look forward to seeing them perform in Atlanta. I'm sure they will make Texas proud as usual. Everyone going for the GN finals will be poking the hornets nest this year, probably worse than ever before. It will be fun for the fans, but tough on the participants.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey though this is not in 2015 I wanted to give you guys some knowledge that I think you will look forward to.

Leander has made it known to its students and parents that they will be attending Grand Nats in 2016 after (Hopefully) a very successful State UIL year in 2015.  

Though it is not this next year it is still very exciting!

Hey though this is not in 2015 I wanted to give you guys some knowledge that I think you will look forward to.

Leander has made it known to its students and parents that they will be attending Grand Nats in 2016 after (Hopefully) a very successful State UIL year tin 2015.

Though it is not this next year it is still very exciting!

2016 might also be another UIL State year for Leander (as well as Vista Ridge and Vandegrift) if they move up to 6A (which will probably happen).

That would be a unique experience for Leander to go to the UIL 6A State Marching Contest (pending area advancement) and Grand Nationals in the same marching season.

2016 might also be another UIL State year for Leander (as well as Vista Ridge and Vandegrift) if they move up to 6A (which will probably happen).

That would be a unique experience for Leander to go to the UIL 6A State Marching Contest and Grand Nationals in the same marching season, both for the first time (this sounds somewhat like Flower Mound in 2014)!

Leander is both a former Grand National (1999) and 5A(6A) State finalist (1996, 2000).

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, you sure? The upcoming state for Texas is in 2016, every 2 years- even numbered years. And as more bands tend to go on non-state years as it is more convenient, we'll more likely be seeing more from Texas go this year than last. And I've heard 2 different answers to this, can anyone actually for-sure confirm Hebron is going to Grand Nats? I've heard different things....so just want to be clear. 

Hebron will definitely be at Grand Nats.

• 3 months later...

Brief video I saw of Hebron a few weeks ago was very nice.  Regardless, you can definitely bet on them being in the running for at least the music caption.  If they can have a show that comes together in every aspect, they could potentially do VERY well.  Really liked their drill.  

Round Rock, know nothing about.  Interested to see how they do this weekend.

The Woodlands will be The Woodlands.  Huge moments, incredibly hard visually program.  Comes down to all the elements combined.  They can probably compete for a title most years, just depends on the show.  

I'm almost sure all three will be in finals.  I'd bet on it.

Keller and Keller Central.  Two programs that I'd consider pretty close to eachother.  Keller had a really good season last year, show was really nice.  Little I've seen of this year seems in the same vein.  HUGE guard that will give some massive field coverage.  Solid musical performance as well.  I think they'll at least be in the conversation for finals.

Haven't seen Keller Central, could probably echo a lot of what I said about Keller.

I think we have 3 REALLY good bands going, that with the right show could really do some damage.  And two potential finalists depending on their shows.  Think they definitely have the talent.  

Brief video I saw of Hebron a few weeks ago was very nice. Regardless, you can definitely bet on them being in the running for at least the music caption. If they can have a show that comes together in every aspect, they could potentially do VERY well. Really liked their drill.

Round Rock, know nothing about. Interested to see how they do this weekend.

The Woodlands will be The Woodlands. Huge moments, incredibly hard visually program. Comes down to all the elements combined. They can probably compete for a title most years, just depends on the show.

I'm almost sure all three will be in finals. I'd bet on it.

Keller and Keller Central. Two programs that I'd consider pretty close to eachother. Keller had a really good season last year, show was really nice. Little I've seen of this year seems in the same vein. HUGE guard that will give some massive field coverage. Solid musical performance as well. I think they'll at least be in the conversation for finals.

Haven't seen Keller Central, could probably echo a lot of what I said about Keller.

I think we have 3 REALLY good bands going, that with the right show could really do some damage. And two potential finalists depending on their shows. Think they definitely have the talent.

Yes, quite a mystery with Round Rock. Their varsity band has had only one public performance this season and is having their 2nd tonight. Someone who was at a recent rehearsal said it was shaping up nicely. I guess we'll find out tomorrow at BOA Austin!

I'm not so sure about other bands around the state, but it is known that 3 (possibly 4) bands from LISD will be attending GN in 2016. It would be amazing to see TWHS, CRJ, Round Rock, Cedar Park, Vandegrift, Leander, Vista Ridge, and Hebron compete with Avon, Marion Catholic, Broken arrow, and maybe Tarpon all compete on the same stage. I'd assume with competition that strong, some of the best bands in the country wouldn't even make finals. Would be the most competitive GN yet for sure.

Which three? I know Leander and Vista Ridge are basically confirmed because they're both alerting their 8th grade parents, but who else is confirmed?

Also, this will be the most competition that 3A has seen since before 4A. Because Harrison is likely not to go next year, depending on how Franklin does this year, I wouldn't be too shocked to see a LISD sweep of 3A.

It's interesting that the two "confirmed" bands, Leander and VR, are the ones most likely to move to 6A next year and would therefore have to deal with the burden of doing both uil state and grand nationals. Its do-able, but I would think the bands likely staying at 5a would go next year, followed by the 6a the next year. But next year does seem like it will be the peak of this era for these bands, with the opening of the new high school putting a slight dip in numbers.