BOA Grand Nationals 2015 - Texas Bands Going?

It's Keller, Keller Central, and Hebron for grand nats. That info isn't on Hebron's website actually, but I've heard a million times over from different sources that they're going. Keller and KC do have that info on their calendars though.

And Richland is the band apparently considering the Indianapolis super regional. 

Why go to Indy Super Regional. Would they still go to San Antonio? Why spend the money at a regional? Why not just go to grand nats ??

Why go to Indy Super Regional. Would they still go to San Antonio? Why spend the money at a regional? Why not just go to grand nats ??

It's simple... much less competition. The other Super Regionals have way less competition than the San Antonio Super Regional. San Antonio really should be classified as something else, like a Mega Super Regional or a Grand Super Regional. Seriously, it really should be in a different category than the others. So, most mid to upper tier bands in Texas can go to the other Super Regionals and place well in their finals.

It's simple... much less competition. The other Super Regionals have way less competition than the San Antonio Super Regional. San Antonio really should be classified as something else, like a Mega Super Regional or a Grand Super Regional. Seriously, it really should be in a different category than the others. So, most mid to upper tier bands in Texas can go to the other Super Regionals and place well in their finals.

I agree but if you want to get better wouldn't you want to compete with the best? Texas is tough competition but why go outside the state, spend the money, to compete with other bands?? Not saying Texas has the best bands but they are some of the best. If you take a band to Indy, take them to the big show. Win or lose they still win with the experience. Just my two cents. Richland is a great band. They should set their sights on grand Nats rather then out of state regionals. (Which they will do well in) IMO

I believe Timber Creek (the newest Keller ISD HS) is planning on going to St Louis also. Big year for Keller ISD for sure.

Go Keller. Good for them!!!! Can't wait to see what they put on the field. Looking forward to seeing them, and the other Texas bands that make the trip.

Keller

Keller Central

Timber Creek

Hebron(believe it when I see it)

Woodlands?

Round Rock?

Cedar Park?

LD Bell?

Who else???

Leander

CTJ

Bowie

The more Texas the better..,,

So far this is the list for grand nats I've gathered:

For sure/Likely:

Keller

Keller Central

The Woodlands

Cedar Ridge

Hebron

Round Rock

NOT on the band's calendar (so pretty much for sure not going):

Vista Ridge

Cedar Park

Vandegrift

Unlikely:

CTJ

Bowie

Leander (state year)

Marcus

Flower Mound

No Idea:

LD Bell

Reagan

I agree but if you want to get better wouldn't you want to compete with the best? Texas is tough competition but why go outside the state, spend the money, to compete with other bands?? Not saying Texas has the best bands but they are some of the best. If you take a band to Indy, take them to the big show. Win or lose they still win with the experience. Just my two cents. Richland is a great band. They should set their sights on grand Nats rather then out of state regionals. (Which they will do well in) IMO

There's a (sorta perverse) incentive to produce results even if it means you're not going up against the biggest competition. At the end of the day, you get to say that you made a BOA Super Regional Finals, even if it costs more money and the competition may or may not be as strong. There's also something to say about morale and band attitude that comes from doing well. Who knows if making a Super Regional finals for the first time or first time in a while ends up being the boost to create a strong program that does well in Texas? Maybe a band wants to challenge for a championship or land in the top half and sees a better opportunity to do so elsewhere.

Additionally, I won't contest that San Antonio is the toughest Super Regional, but I don't think the differential is *that* large - definitely not at the top at all of the other Super Regionals, and even at the bottom of their more competitive years / San Antonio's weaker years.

• 3 weeks later...

all LISD schools (except for Rouse HS) are 5A and are most likely not going to attend BOA grand nats since they'll be focusing on state... but there may be a possibility in 2016

Hmm, you sure? The upcoming state for Texas is in 2016, every 2 years- even numbered years. And as more bands tend to go on non-state years as it is more convenient, we'll more likely be seeing more from Texas go this year than last. And I've heard 2 different answers to this, can anyone actually for-sure confirm Hebron is going to Grand Nats? I've heard different things....so just want to be clear. 

Hmm, you sure? The upcoming state for Texas is in 2016, every 2 years- even numbered years. And as more bands tend to go on non-state years as it is more convenient, we'll more likely be seeing more from Texas go this year than last. And I've heard 2 different answers to this, can anyone actually for-sure confirm Hebron is going to Grand Nats? I've heard different things....so just want to be clear. 

State alternates based on classification. All of the LISD bands in the conversation are 5A and have state this fall. The 6A bands, however, do have state in 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as champions go, I think next year will be Broken Arrow's year again.  The past 5 years have been ASTOUNDING for them, being so close so many times, I think they'll really make sure they can push themselves to finally end up on top.  The first 2nd place band above a 97?  They're a serious force.  Their point of view design wise is pretty breathtaking  

Hebron, if they go, could do really well.  They've shown that they can be up at the top in 2013, 2014 was strong to.  I think with the right show, they could be up there on top.  I think top 6 for sure though.  

If The Woodlands goes, they'll either be in 4th - 6th or in 1st to 2nd, I think their performance levels and overall effect are always there, I think it's just a question of if they can bring the level of polish they did in 2013 again.  

If Round Rock goes, I think they'll definitely make finals again.  4th again?  We'll see, but they'll be absolutely powerful as always.  2013 seemed REALLY good for them to peak, I've thought they always need another 2 weeks, and with that, they can be up there again.

If Cedar Ridge goes, I think they'll be a finalist.  They're musically outstanding and are incredibly refreshing.  Any show utilizing that beautiful singer will be breathtaking.  If their overall concept is a little bit stronger and they can get a little cleaner visually, I think they can push top 6.  

If Keller and Keller Central go, I think potential finalist and semifinalist respectively.  Keller's had a really strong past 3 years, finally busting into the incredibly difficult state finals last year with a beautiful show.  James Bowie in 2006 didn't make San Antonio finals and made Grand National Finals, so it can be done.  Let's not forget they were a consistent finalist up until around 2009......

And Keller Central, has improved LEAPS and bounds over the past few years, I don't think they'll be QUITE at finalist level next year, but their improvement in recent years is extremely impressive.  

Hope Blue Springs shows up at either SA or Nationals, or both again.  I think they're amazing, was devastated for them in 2013.  

Well, It's a different game every year as every band has a different group of band members. Some graduate out their strongest players and some still have their strongest or have others step up and improve. I think it's a little easier to know what to expect from the programs with a tradition and history of excellence. The ones just recently getting to the level of Grand National finals are not as easy to predict. Broken Arrow will Likely always be at the top, as will Carmel and Avon. Others will likely make the finals, but are still anyone's guess whether they are at bottom or middle. My greatest hope is that all Texas bands make the finals. With Broken Arrow and Union both making returns this year, that's going to be much harder than in 2013.

I think captions this year are going to be interesting. Broken Arrow certainly has the capability to take all 3, but I'm willing to bet a Texas band will steal music, with Hebron being the most likely contender (but The Woodlands, Round Rock, and Cedar Ridge might have something to say about that). The Woodlands will also have a fantastic shot at taking visual. They've been exceptionally clean the last 3-4 years and I could really see them challenging for it.

As far as Keller and KC go, I'd say they're pretty equivalent in terms of quality. They've usually been within a few spots of each other the last few years at most BOA competitions. If they don't make finals, I bet they'll finish high in semis. Definitely too early to tell for either of them how they'll do, but finals isn't out of the question.

Right now my guesses are:

Locks:

Broken Arrow

The Woodlands

Hebron

Avon

Carmel

William Mason

High Bubble:

Round Rock

Cedar Ridge

Marian Catholic

Harrison (I think they're going)

Homestead

Bubble (* = my pick):

Union

Lake Central

Blue Springs

Keller 

Center Grove

Keller Central

PCEP

Lawrence Township *

Edit: Forgot Homestead

Texas bands, especially the 6A "BOA" bands, are extremely consistent... and with the Indiana bands and the other previous Grand National finalist bands that are also consistent, it's hard predicting captions and placements. I know that basing of previous years could bring some people to predictions but all that I can say is that the Texas bands that will show at Grand Nationals next season are almost destined to make semifinals, if not finals. But it would be nice seeing The Woodlands win back to back championships.

Honestly, the fact that there's a decently long list of bands that have been able to maintain consistency every year is just outstanding, and is why I get more hyped every season.

chrisdinh was talking about Leander ISD, not Lewisville ISD. Leander ISD currently has a lot of 5A schools as opposed to 6A schools. 1-2A/3A/5A State is on Odd-Years and 4A/6A State is on Even-Years. As such, 2015 is a State year for most of Leander ISD.

• 3 weeks later...

2015 Grand Nationals Participating Bands

As of: April 9, 2015

Ada H.S., OH

Adair County H.S., KY

Archbishop Alter H.S., OH

Avon H.S., OH

Avon H.S., IN

Beechwood H.S., KY

Bellbrook H.S., OH

Ben Davis H.S., IN

Bentonville H.S., AR

Berryhill H.S., OK

Bishop Fenwick H.S., OH

Blackhawk H.S., PA

Blue Springs H.S., MO

Bourbon County H.S., KY

Broken Arrow H.S., OK

Brunswick H.S., OH

Carlisle H.S., OH

Carmel H.S., IN

Carroll H.S., OH

Cary Senior H.S., NC

Cedar Ridge H.S., TX

Center Grove H.S., IN

Centerville H.S., OH

Central Crossing H.S., OH

Central Hardin H.S., KY

Cleveland H.S., TN

Colony H.S., AK

Davenport Central H.S., IA

Dawson-Bryant High School, OH

DeSoto Central H.S., MS

Dobyns-Bennett H.S., TN

Dublin Coffman H.S., OH

East Clinton H.S., OH

Eden Prairie H.S., MN

Edgewood H.S., OH

Father Ryan H.S., TN

Franklin H.S., TN

Fred J. Page H.S., TN

Goodpasture Christian School, TN

Goshen H.S., IN

Green Hope H.S., NC

Greendale H.S., WI

Hamilton H.S., OH

Harrison H.S., GA

Hebron H.S., TX

Herscher H.S., IL

Highlands H.S., KY

Homestead H.S., IN

Homestead H.S., CA

Indian Hill H.S., OH

Jenison H.S., MI

Keller Central High School, TX

Keller H.S., TX

Kiski Area H.S., PA

L.D. Bell H.S., TX

La Salle H.S., OH

Lake Central H.S., IN

Lake Park H.S., IL

Lakeland H.S., MI

Lancaster H.S., NY

Larry A. Ryle H.S., KY

Lawrence Township, IN

Marian Catholic H.S., IL

Meade County H.S., KY

Metamora Township H.S., IL

Miamisburg H.S., OH

Milford H.S., OH

Mililani H.S., HI

Milton-Union H.S., OH

Monrovia H.S., IN

New Philadelphia H.S., OH

North Laurel H.S., KY

Northmont H.S., OH

Norton H.S., OH

Paragould H.S., AR

Potosi H.S., MO

Pulaski County H.S., KY

Ravenwood H.S., TN

Round Rock H.S., TX

Saint James School, AL

Southwestern H.S., IN

Stebbins H.S., OH

Talawanda H.S., OH

The King's Academy, FL

The Woodlands H.S., TX

Tippecanoe H.S., OH

Triton Central H.S., IN

Troy Athens H.S., MI

Valley Christian H.S., CA

Warren Local H.S., OH

Waukesha North H.S., WI

West Bloomfield H.S., MI

William Mason H.S., OH

Yep, the stage is set for a bloodbath this year! First, we will have 16 bands that have made the finals in the last 5-6 years:

Avon H.S., IN
Ben Davis H.S., IN
Broken Arrow H.S., OK
Carmel H.S., IN
Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
Center Grove H.S., IN
Centerville H.S., OH
Harrison H.S., GA
Homestead H.S., IN
L.D. Bell H.S., TX
Lake Central H.S., IN
Lawrence Township, IN
Marian Catholic H.S., IL
Round Rock H.S., TX
The Woodlands H.S., TX
William Mason H.S., OH

Then we have 3 newcomers from Texas, one that is a major contender for the top half of the finals:

Hebron H.S., TX
Keller Central High School, TX
Keller H.S., TX

And we have other strong contenders yet to make the finals, such as Blue Springs.

Any way you look at it, there are going to be quite a few former finalists that are not going to be finalists this year! This may be the first year that you will have to have 90+ score to make the cut. I can't wait!!

Wow, Texas is going to be taking over all over the country!

California:

Americas

Coronado

Missouri:

Haltom

Timbercreek

Georgia:

Cypress Falls

Clements

Friendswood

Westwood

Winston Churchill

Indy:

Richland

Nationals:

Cedar Ridge

Hebron

Keller

Keller Central

LD Bell

Round Rock

The Woodlands

I find it EXTREMELY exciting how many bands that don't travel outside the state very often that are!  And nationals, geez.  Talk about a tough group, I consider all these finalist contenders based on recent years and trends:

Avon

Blue Springs

Broken Arrow

Carmel

Cedar Ridge

Dobbyns Bennett

Harrison  

Hebron

Homestead  

Keller

Lake Central

Lawrence Township

LD Bell

Marian Catholic

Round Rock  

The Woodlands

William Mason

So wants to try to trim 5 bands off of there?  NOT ME!  Keller Central's been really improving over the past few years, they could very well squeeze their way up there.  I could say the same about Franklin from Tennessee.  Center Grove and Centerville haven't been up there in recent years, but they could improve again.  You never know.  That's just not fair.  Going to be an amazing year from Texas I'm sure!  

I'm curious about if the five bands going to Atlanta will end up boxing each other out. I know that was a real concern a couple years ago when three bands went (but all made finals), but Atlanta is getting to be a tougher super-regional as well.

As for GN, I'm thinking its going to be four Texas bands in finals (but I would love, love, love to be wrong on that). Additionally, I think we'll see at least one band who has always made finals miss. The bubble is a bit too strong this year, I feel.