BOA Grand Nationals 2015 - Texas Bands Going?

Yeah, I've also heard rumors that CTJ and Bowie are (super unfortunately) bailing on nationals again next year. CTJ was my blind pick for the 2015 eagle, so I'm pretty disappointed. I'm wondering why they aren't going now especially considering state and BOA SA are both held right in their backyards each year - just a simple day trip. Can't imagine expenses getting in the way too much. 

So to make a list of bands almost for sure going, it will be:

- The Woodlands

- Cedar Ridge

- Round Rock

- Hebron (hopefully)

Maybe? (one can hope):

- Ronald Reagan

- Leander

- Cedar Park

- Vandegrift

- LD Bell

- Westlake

- Hendrickson

- Spring

I'm calling Cedar Ridge to be the dark horse for a very high placement this year. Mark Calima knows what he's doing and their last two shows have been very musically interesting. I could actually see them turning into a mid/late-2000's LD Bell with the right show design. It's a bummer they didn't win the Socal regional this past season. OR maybe The Woodlands will bring back a second title, which would be pretty cool too. I thought their descending from chaos show was insanely underrated.

Would College Park go???????

I agree! I highly doubt that any of the Leander ISD schools will be going to Grand Nationals because of UIL 5A State year. But, I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them go compete in 2016.

Just food for thought that doesn't necessarily play into the 2015 season; Leander and Vandegrift are likely to be 6A after the next realignment for the 2016-2017 school year.

Just food for thought that doesn't necessarily play into the 2015 season; Leander and Vandegrift are likely to be 6A after the next realignment for the 2016-2017 school year.

Hopefully a realignment of Area D comes with them. 6A Area D is already a bloodbath as it is with Bowie, Reagan, CTJ, Westlake, Round Rock, Cedar Ridge, Hendrickson, etc all being in this area, and the addition of Leander and Vandegrift would be just way too much. I'm hoping they split off the North Austin groups (Round Rock, Cedar Ridge, Leander, Vandegrift, etc) into a new area or move them to another area so that Area D isn't so crowded.

I want to confirm that bar complete disaster Round Rock will be returning in 2015 :)

I'm excited to see what they do, they REALLY kicked it up when they got to nationals last year, along with Cedar Ridge, their improvement from San Antonio to Nationals was pretty astounding.  When bands have a goal or special occasion, it tends to do some amazing things.  Would love to see them up in the top 4 again.  

Yeah, I've also heard rumors that CTJ and Bowie are (super unfortunately) bailing on nationals again next year. CTJ was my blind pick for the 2015 eagle, so I'm pretty disappointed. I'm wondering why they aren't going now especially considering state and BOA SA are both held right in their backyards each year - just a simple day trip. Can't imagine expenses getting in the way too much. 

So to make a list of bands almost for sure going, it will be:

- The Woodlands

- Cedar Ridge

- Round Rock

- Hebron (hopefully)

Maybe? (one can hope):

- Ronald Reagan

- Leander

- Cedar Park

- Vandegrift

- LD Bell

- Westlake

- Hendrickson

- Spring

I'm calling Cedar Ridge to be the dark horse for a very high placement this year. Mark Calima knows what he's doing and their last two shows have been very musically interesting. I could actually see them turning into a mid/late-2000's LD Bell with the right show design. It's a bummer they didn't win the Socal regional this past season. OR maybe The Woodlands will bring back a second title, which would be pretty cool too. I thought their descending from chaos show was insanely underrated.

Well CTJ spent a lot on their show props and uniforms so they have a budget now…

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. I had never before seen a jump in performance level anywhere close to what Round Rock gave us between SA and GN. A complete buy-in and hunger on all levels is the only way that can happen.

A 6.25 jump in 2 weeks was a real accomplishment. I don't think anyone saw that coming! I doubt that any of the top tier bands were paying any attention to Round Rock before they received the music award in the semifinals. I'd like to see them do that again. I would bet that the top tiers will be watching them this fall, although I don't know how helpful it will be as they are typically slow-starters (not a criticism, but just an observation).

On a side note how do these bands bring their giant props up north? Like how did they get FloMo's white columns to Indy? Couldn't imagine the logistical nightmare that it would be like to do that with the trees we had last marching season.

Box trucks and Semis.  Flower Mound had 2 box trucks and a semi in Indy.  The semi contained all of the front ensemble and some of the columns.  One box truck had the remainder of the columns, and the other box truck had everything else.  It's pretty much what every band does.  By the end of the season most of these pit crews are pros at packing trucks and can do it pretty quickly.  While the first show/ performance might take over 1 hour to load up after a show, the final load up can take 30 to 45 minutes with an experienced crew and enough hands.

Just a fyi on Round Rock. Due to their size they are restructuring their band. There will be a varsity and JV band. Varsity for competition and JV for halftime at rb games.

Is this for sure or most likely? I wonder how next season is gonna play out for them if they do split it, I assume the JV band is gonna be fairly small. Most likely the split'll help in competitions though.

Is this for sure or most likely? I wonder how next season is gonna play out for them if they do split it, I assume the JV band is gonna be fairly small. Most likely the split'll help in competitions though.

Yep, this is for sure. I heard that they revealed it to the band last week. From what I heard, it was well planned and a pretty good idea.

Wish my band would do this haha :P But smart decision on the directors (although I'm gonna miss seeing the sheer size of Round Rock)

Me too but I really like the possibilities a 180~ member band can have. A bit bigger than a world class drum corps which fits much better for a marching band in my opinion. The audition rubrics sound very thorough and strict so far.

Wish my band would do this haha :P But smart decision on the directors (although I'm gonna miss seeing the sheer size of Round Rock)

The way they've been growing, I think it's likely that it will still be a large band. And besides, many times you get much more clarity of sound when you have only your best on the field. I doubt there will be much to be missed if they clean up their sound and play like they did at the end of the 2013 season. I'm just excited to see what Round Rock and all of the other great Texas bands have in store for us next year!

There are at least 3 DFW bands going, including two 2014 6A State Finalists.

I think I know of one, suspect one of the two state finalists, but don't know of the other.  Interested to see who these rumored bands are!  When does BOA usually release the first list of bands that are signed up?

The official lists are released mid-April. And I've counted 3 DFW bands plus a 4th that may be attending the Indianapolis super-regional. All of this info is on their respective band websites so I don't see it being too harmful spilling the beans, but I'll hold off for now...

Looks like at least 6 Texas bands are going to make the trip this year.

The official lists are released mid-April. And I've counted 3 DFW bands plus a 4th that may be attending the Indianapolis super-regional. All of this info is on their respective band websites so I don't see it being too harmful spilling the beans, but I'll hold off for now...

Looks like at least 6 Texas bands are going to make the trip this year.

Well if it's on their sites.....care to share? There's always a PM if you don't wanna. ;).

Well if it's on their sites.....care to share? There's always a PM if you don't wanna. ;).

It's Keller, Keller Central, and Hebron for grand nats. That info isn't on Hebron's website actually, but I've heard a million times over from different sources that they're going. Keller and KC do have that info on their calendars though.

And Richland is the band apparently considering the Indianapolis super regional.