It's coming up in thirteen days, so I wanted to bring it up- what are you thinking is going to happen up at Marcus? Predictions, opinions, anything.

Here is the preliminary schedule for the competition- http://portal.marcuspercussion.com/portal/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=Bze2KEQgJ4s%3d&tabid=110

Here are the judges (quality, as usual)- http://portal.marcuspercussion.com/portal/LoneStar/LoneStarJudges/tabid/98/Default.aspx

Let the discussion begin! I know that standstill silver 1 should be interesting, with defending champion Round Rock gone for BOA, defending Red 1 champion John Horn moving up to Silver 1, and a lot of the Area D powerhouses attending this year.

Something I've always wondered about this contest...what is the difference between red and silver and how do directors decide if they want to do indoor or outdoor? Always been curious.

There are four standstill divisions- Silver 1, Red 1, Silver 2, and Red 2.  As far as the 1 and 2 go, it is just that- 1 is for more advanced drumlines, and 2 is for less experienced drumlines. The Silver 1 and Red 1 (more advanced) drumlines compete in the stadium, and the Silver 2 and Red 2 groups compete indoor. Directors can choose whether to compete in 1 or 2. Silver and red, however, are not at the disgression of the director. Red classification is for drumlines with less than 20 members, and silver is for drumlines with twenty or more members. For example, John Horn competed in Red 1 for the last several years, but is now larger, and is competing in silver 1 this year.

I was very sad about not attending my favorite competition this year... But it will be interesting to see who rises and steps up! I have not seen anything about anybody's drumline, so I have no idea on who will get what and what goes down. What are the predictions for this competition?

I'll be sad not to see you guys! Your show last year was quite possibly my favorite high school show ever, and this year is amazing as well. You actually topped our five front row marimbas with six!!!  :P  

Don't want to hazard a prediction quite yet, but I do believe all the Leander ISD schools competing this year should make quite a splash. I also know personally that Seguin is hoping to get back into the top tier of groups contending for finals (we were 7th in 2011, I believe) after a disappointing 11th last year.

Should be a great competition in silver I, especially with John Horn in the mix. Good luck at Grand Nats!

Thanks! If you thought "The Raven" was good, then you should look up 2010, "The Dragon".

^THIS

This has got to be some of my favorite percussion writing in a marching show.....and it is VERY well performed (They had the highest score out of both Red 1 and Silver 1 that year).

^THIS

This has got to be some of my favorite percussion writing in a marching show.....and it is VERY well performed (They had the highest score out of both Red 1 and Silver 1 that year).

Thank you so much! Colin McNutt (Round Rocks Battery writer [Cadets Battery writer]) said that he went into Cadets mode to write the show! I was so sad that I wasn't there to perform "The Dragon"!

Fun fact about the Lonestar performance for "The Dragon": They played past the timer, which caused points to be DEDUCTED!

Fun fact about the Lonestar performance of "The Raven": The center marimba and vibe 1 (aka me) where splitting sixteenth notes at 1:26 or so into the video posted on YouTube!

It will be awesome to see what the winner comes up with this year! Good luck to y'all who see this!

That is pretty incredible! The cymbals are ridiculously good every year, i can't figure out how you guys pull it off.  :o

Problem is that now you caused a dilemma... I don't know which one is my favorite! 

Haha well my favorite will always be "The Dragon". "The Raven" did have a really smashing band part to go along with it though, but then they both sounded amazing with the echos of the Alamodome. But it seems we do a very very exciting show every other year. So hopefully we will come back in Lonestar with our latest bang!

Does anyone know anything about how much it is to get in or if you have to pay for parking?

I don't recall having to pay anything for parking. I think I remember paying $8-10 to get in. It's been a few years since I went. In fact I went in 2010 to watch this particular show from RR, The Dragon. My son was a member of Rock Drums.

Cedar Ridge is going to Lonestar? Last I heard, they weren't going to go because we weren't going. I guess it was just a rumor then! In that case they are definitely going to get best cymbals since they have our old tech. No doubt about that one. I think Cedar Park for best front ensemble and possibly champion? Unless Cedar Ridge kicks it up to 11 (which I have no doubt they are capable of doing) then I have no idea what will happen. So excited to find out!

Standstill Silver I Predictions (this is super tough):

Finalists:

Cedar Ridge

Cedar Park

John Horn

Plano East

Vandegrift

right on the cut, could get in with a good performance:

Richland

Vista Ridge

James Martin

wild cards (could surprise some people):
Lake Travis

Pflugerville

Oak Ridge

Caption Contenders:
Snares- Cedar Park, Richland, Plano East

Tenors- Richland, John Horn (Cedar Park?!  :P )

Basses- John Horn, Cedar Ridge, Cedar Park, Martin

Cymbals- Cedar Ridge, Cedar Ridge, Cedar Ridge  :o

Front Ensemble- Cedar Park, Cedar Ridge, Richland

Gonna be a great contest this year- lots of quality groups. Though it pains me to leave us out of the running, I don't think realistically we have a shot.  :(

What does everyone else think?

Cedar Ridge is going to Lonestar? Last I heard, they weren't going to go because we weren't going. I guess it was just a rumor then! In that case they are definitely going to get best cymbals since they have our old tech. No doubt about that one. I think Cedar Park for best front ensemble and possibly champion? Unless Cedar Ridge kicks it up to 11 (which I have no doubt they are capable of doing) then I have no idea what will happen. So excited to find out!

Finalists:

Cedar Ridge

Cedar Park

John Horn

Plano East

Vandegrift

Richland

Vista Ridge

James Martin

Lake Travis

Pflugerville

Oak Ridge

Caption Contenders:

Tenors- Richland, John Horn (Cedar Park?! :P )

Cymbals- Cedar Ridge, Cedar Ridge, Cedar Ridge :o

Gonna be a great contest this year- lots of quality groups. Though it pains me to leave us out of the running, I don't think realistically we have a shot. :(

Finalists:

Cedar Ridge

Cedar Park

John Horn

Plano East

Vandegrift

Richland

Vista Ridge

James Martin

Lake Travis

Pflugerville

Oak Ridge

Caption Contenders:

Tenors- Richland, John Horn (Cedar Park?! :P )

Cymbals- Cedar Ridge, Cedar Ridge, Cedar Ridge :o

Gonna be a great contest this year- lots of quality groups. Though it pains me to leave us out of the running, I don't think realistically we have a shot. :(

What about the lake Travis cymbal line? I think that's Cedar Ridge biggest competition