2012 5A State Marching Contest

Daniel Valdez incorrectly stated in the live blog that it's CTJ's first time at state. We made state in 2010 with You Are -- placing thirteenth, just behind Reagan. :) It's the first year Johnson's made finals, though.

Sadly, I managed to get distracted and I missed Johnson's finals performance :( But I'm still excited to see finals results. Prelims were a bit shocking, to say the least. I never would've thought that TWHS would be 10th...or Bowie in 6th.

I should have said State Finals! Thanks for calling me out!!!!!!

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 Marcus HS, Flower Mound 1 1 2 1 1 6

2 Hebron HS, Carrollton 6 2 1 6 3 18

3 Bell HS, Hurst 3 9 3 3 6 24

4 Bowie HS, Austin 5 5 8 4 2 24

5 Coppell HS, Coppell 9 3 4 5 4 25

6 The Woodlands HS, The Woodlands 2 4 7 7 5 25

7 Westlake HS, Austin 7 6 5 9 7 34

8 Reagan HS, San Antonio 8 7 10 2 8 35

9 Berkner HS, Richardson 4 10 6 8 9 37

10 Johnson HS, San Antonio 10 8 9 10 10 47

1 Marcus HS, Flower Mound 1 1 2 1 1 6

2 Hebron HS, Carrollton 6 2 1 6 3 18

3 Bell HS, Hurst 3 9 3 3 6 24

4 Bowie HS, Austin 5 5 8 4 2 24

5 Coppell HS, Coppell 9 3 4 5 4 25

6 The Woodlands HS, The Woodlands 2 4 7 7 5 25

7 Westlake HS, Austin 7 6 5 9 7 34

8 Reagan HS, San Antonio 8 7 10 2 8 35

9 Berkner HS, Richardson 4 10 6 8 9 37

10 Johnson HS, San Antonio 10 8 9 10 10 47

Holy crap, the competition for 3rd was insane. Tie followed by two schools tying ONE point behind?

And congrats to Marcus on the 4-peat!

3rd through 6th...yikes! Congrats to Marcus, Hebron and Bell! Wish I could've been there to see it.

Gotta say, really happy for Hebron. They've come such a long way after jumping on to the scene with that classic DDR show. That was the show that made me realize how amazing this activity can be! Huge strides for them this year! Also really happy for Bell. I think a lot of people jumped off ship due to their lower than Bell standard of this years results, but it's good to see their risk in difficulty really paid off in the end. I'm thinking they'll be back on top in the very near future.

I am fairly new band parent - only 3 years of doing this - at a new high school with a new band program.

Are Bell's programs always as dark as the last couple of years?

I realize that what they do is difficult - but I would need medication after awhile.

Supposedly this year's Bell show was a sequel to last. Bell shows usually are dark but in different aspects . 2006 and 2007 were both dark and creepy. 2008 was "dark" but not as eerie and more fun. 2009 was a very light show but still had that LD Bell feeling and 2010 was homage to the soldiers.

Yeah, Bell does basically all dark shows.

Edited by T.Stechnij

To be upfront, I am a Rowlett alum with two siblings who are/were in the program as well, so I'm plenty bias.

But can anyone break down how Rowlett is not making finals at state when they consistently outperform others in their area who consistantly make finals? There seem to be lots of talk about how this particular band is old and developed and this other band made finals in years past, etc etc. Shouldn't they just judge based on what they see and hear on the field?

I have not seen the scoresheets, only the summary posted on the UIL website. But I was at state starting around 1:30 and thought that Rowlett outperformed some of the bands that we saw that made finals. Rowlett plays for the majority of its show without any long drum or dance breaks to give everyone's chops a rest. They sounded like you we're listening to a concert hall, again, in my opinion.

So can anyone enlighten me on how two of the judges can look at Rowlett's state performance and rank them 24th?? I do know that all kids in all bands play their hearts out, it's just disheartening to follow the Rowlett band for so long and see them improve as such a young program and never make finals. I joined TxBands just to ask this question, hope I wasn't too abrasive. I thought all the bands looked great, I just thought Rowlett knocked it out of the park.

Any thoughts?

Edited by RowlettAlum09

To be upfront, I am a Rowlett alum with two siblings who are/were in the program as well, so I'm plenty bias.

But can anyone break down how Rowlett is not making finals at state when they consistently outperform others in their area who consistantly make finals? There seem to be lots of talk about how this particular band is old and developed and this other band made finals in years past, etc etc. Shouldn't they just judge based on what they see and hear on the field?

I have not seen the scoresheets, only the summary posted on the UIL website. But I was at state starting around 1:30 and thought that Rowlett outperformed some of the bands that we saw that made finals. Rowlett plays for the majority of its show without any long drum or dance breaks to give everyone's chops a rest. They sounded like you we're listening to a concert hall, again, in my opinion.

So can anyone enlighten me on how two of the judges can look at Rowlett's state performance and rank them 24th?? I do know that all kids in all bands play their hearts out, it's just disheartening to follow the Rowlett band for so long and see them improve as such a young program and never make finals. I joined TxBands just to ask this question, hope I wasn't too abrasive. I thought all the bands looked great, I just thought Rowlett knocked it out of the park.

Any thoughts?

Coppell alum here. Points in the finals were so close again. In 2010, Coppell was again 1 point away from having a 3 way tie for 3rd from 5th, and if I remember correctly they would've won the tiebreaker. Here, with 1 point a 3 way tie would still happen but would lose the tiebreaker.

This just goes to show the inconsistencies and bias' of the judges. The scores were ranged a lot throughout 2-6, and the same inconsistencies of the same judges showed in the 3A prelims.

I want to thank all of you who tuned in to the Txbands Live Blog the past few days. The amount of comments, readers, and unique visits is probably off the charts! If we get some numbers in, we'll be sure to pass them along to you.

I had so much fun sitting through and writing about 150 performances from Friday afternoon until Tuesday night. This activity rocks and we all freakin' know it. Once again, thank you all so much for your support!!

Any thoughts?

As a Haltom band mom, with two kids(senior and freshman) in the band, let me just say I feel your pain. Haltom consistently made State since 2000, missing it this year by one point. :( I think it's almost harder on us parents than it is the students. They have each other and their band directors working them through their disappointment and on to the next part of their lives. And they're young. That helps! lol We only really have other band parents who are just as baffled as we are about the results. After all, no band performs better to us than the one our kids are in! It's part of being a parent. We cheer for our kids' victories and are sad when things don't come out the way we believe they should. I completely understand where you're coming from in your post.

All that being said, I've learned there's simply no way to really understand the scoring. That is, why one judge sees Rowlett as 7th and another 24th. What I've been able to come away with over the four years I've been a band mom, my only resolution, is(and you may not like this): The judges are human beings. They are not perfect. They will make mistakes sometimes. Other times, they are on the money. (For example, the judge who put Rowlett in 24th in music--and in your viewpoint an error--, also ranked Marcus 1st. He was completely right about Marcus). And, despite what some people on this board think, there is some pre-determined expectation for certain bands who have been successful in the past. It would be un-human-like to NOT have some expectation that those bands are about to do very well. In the end, though, the judges must make up their own minds, based on their expertise & experience. While there may be some rogue judge who ranks bands based solely on bias and/or some weird vidication, I have a hard time believing such a judge exists. It's simply humanity at work. To each his own, so to speak. I don't believe they judge willy-nilly.

As parents, we want everyone to see what we see when our kids' band plays. We know personally how hard our kids work to succeed, and we are dismayed when their hard work seems to go "unrecognized" or unrewarded. In the big world that is Texas Marching Bands, you have to take the good with the bad sometimes. Texas public schools highly value the fine arts. The support our school boards provide to the fine art depts is pretty nearly unmatched. What does that make? A whole lot of really, really good bands in the State of Texas. So while our kids reap the benefits of living in a state where they get to participate in an excellent music program, that also means their competition is top-notch. Not everyone gets the gold medal. (and I'm actually thankful for that bcse life isn't about winning all the time) Anyway, my post is entirely too long at this point. I just wanted to say that I understand your frustration, but looking for "answers" as to why one band makes finals while another does not, my only answer is: humanity, subjective human minds. Don't dwell on the disappointments too much. Just enjoy making those good memories with your kids/siblings. Your being there, cheering them on at every competition is what they will remember when they're older and parents themselves. :)

Edited by TXMarchingMadness87654