2012 Area D 5A Marching Contest

No, I'm fairly certain we stayed through finals bud.

It was a long day for RR... waking up at 4:30am and being ready to go at 5:50am, then coming back at 3:30pm to rehearse for a finals run that never happened. Round Rock has a great relationship with the Westlake Band and in no way did we miss their performance in the sake of missing their performance. Just needed to go home and get some sleep.

I'm in the Round Rock battery, and our entire band was in complete shock. We were speechless. We stayed to watch every band in finals perform. Thankfully we are turning this defeat into motivation for BOA. But this competition was just....devastating.

Look, I know it must feel pretty horrible not making finals at area in the midst of such a good year for your school. I was thinking to myself "Looks like they waited to announce Round Rock until last". And then they called another band, and I too was in shock. Whatever you do, don't let yourself get too down in the dumps considering you have another great shot this Friday to make some noise. All you should worry about is going out there on Friday or Saturday and showing the world why you guys are awesome. For whatever it's worth, I thought you guys did amazing. Good luck.

I am sure many bands and band members are broken hearted over last night's show. Cedar Ridge was really hoping that this year with their first year of seniors they would make it to state. It was hard on their now senior class to basically pull themselves up by their bootstraps and lead as sophomores. Either way - state will be a great competition and I know many of the rest will be looking forward to BOA.

I hope to see round rock in the finals there as well!

I meant nothing negative by commenting on when Round Rock left. They watched more of finals than any other band which shows some class. I didn't realize ya'll felt the same way about simple fact checking as the Republican party.

Soooooo I was into this forum a lot when I was in high school but have drifted away from it in recent years. I remember people talking a lot about the performances they saw and their opinions on different shows. This year I am teching for a band in the Austin area so I thought I would check out this forum again. It seems like now all anyone talks about is scores and the reputation a program has. Wheres the fun in that? Does anyone who watched the contest want to talk about the shows they say?

I meant nothing negative by commenting on when Round Rock left. They watched more of finals than any other band which shows some class. I didn't realize ya'll felt the same way about simple fact checking as the Republican party.

Soooooo I was into this forum a lot when I was in high school but have drifted away from it in recent years. I remember people talking a lot about the performances they saw and their opinions on different shows. This year I am teching for a band in the Austin area so I thought I would check out this forum again. It seems like now all anyone talks about is scores and the reputation a program has. Wheres the fun in that? Does anyone who watched the contest want to talk about the shows they say?

Well I am new to this, so what I like obviously isn't the 'right' thing so sayth the scores. I found the bowie show boring - they have props but the props make no sense to me.

My favorite show this year was Claudia and Reagan. I LOVE the snake charmers in the Reagan show and loved the soloists in the claudia show. I like shows that hold their theme but march to the theme. Some shows seem to have a title and a theme with props but the props seem to have nothing to do with their marching or what they are playing.

I hope this year's cedar ridge show hasn't spoiled me - I hope the next 4 years are just as fantastic :)

Well I am new to this, so what I like obviously isn't the 'right' thing so sayth the scores. I found the bowie show boring - they have props but the props make no sense to me.

I believe they are supposed to be planets, since (unless I can't count) there are 7 of them for each of the planets in the planets suite by Holst (which is what they are playing)

I wondered how long it would take for someone to make a comment like this to kids who are just trying to find a reason why their band didn't make finals..... Nice job

They are disappointed... Let them talk it out without making them feel bad about it.... this was what forums are used for.

RR and all those that missed on finals will be fine, heck I bet they go to BOA and put the best show of those kids life on display.... I know it sucks to miss finals, especially when you have the expectations of being in finals under the lights, but they can't do anything about it. In the end it will be a good lesson and reminder for the kids that will get another try 2yrs from now. It will sting for sometime but they will be fine... Just saying

Edited by TxRaider13

RR and all those that missed on finals will be fine, heck I bet they go to BOA and put the best show of those kids life on display.... I know it sucks to miss finals, especially when you have the expectations of being in finals under the lights, but they can't do anything about it. In the end it will be a good lesson and reminder for the kids that will get another try 2yrs from now. It will sting for sometime but they will be fine... Just saying

What I'm saying is that in life EVERYONE will go through the 5 stages of loss when something devesating happens

Denial

Anger

Bargaining

Depression

Acceptance

Everyone goes through this at different speeds some get to the end quickly while others have to actually work though each process.....but in the end that all get there because your right... there is nothing you can do. It's a life lesson and we all know "life is not fair"

Round Rock WILL be fine as well as Anderson - and hopefully there is redemption at BOA for both bands

So not to take anything away from Bowie (because they deserved where they are at) BUT I ask.... If Bowie or LD Bell or Marcus had the run that Round Rock had .....I'm betting they still would have been in finals. That's a fact.....

This is where I questing the judging!!! EVery band should be on the same playing field but those that have the repetation are not... they are giving a different set of rules. That's a fact.

For Round Rock and Anderson not to make finals was a sad day in marching bands... they should have at least been in the finals.... That's a fact

I'm in the Round Rock battery, and our entire band was in complete shock. We were speechless. We stayed to watch every band in finals perform. Thankfully we are turning this defeat into motivation for BOA. But this competition was just....devastating.

Your band is a class act and should be very proud of what you have accomplished. You set a high standard and students from all over recognize that. I'm excited to see what you will do at BOA. Listening to all the comments on Saturday from numerous bands that did make the finals - they were disappointed and shocked Round Rock was left out. It did not go without notice that you were in the stands through the finals or wishing luck to the final bands as they were preparing to perform.

Best of luck to you and your band at BOA. You will represent. We just know it.

So not to take anything away from Bowie (because they deserved where they are at) BUT I ask.... If Bowie or LD Bell or Marcus had the run that Round Rock had .....I'm betting they still would have been in finals. That's a fact.....

This is where I questing the judging!!! EVery band should be on the same playing field but those that have the repetation are not... they are giving a different set of rules. That's a fact.

For Round Rock and Anderson not to make finals was a sad day in marching bands... they should have at least been in the finals.... That's a fact

I was wondering when we'd see the "reputation" card pulled. Afraid to to say that playing that card here is really against your point, as Round Rock is hardly a band with no reputation. They've been an iconic band in this area for a very long time. If anything, the fact that Round Rock didn't make finals is a testament to the fact that this contest doesn't use "reputation" in their judging rubric.

I realize that marching band contest judging is subjective, but that judge that scored Round Rock a 22 and Anderson a 26 is an incompetent hack. I don't know who he is and he may be a fine director, but he shouldn't allowed anywhere near a marching contest.

Yes, I understand that this one judge isn't what kept RR and Anderson out of finals. I'm not complaining about who got into finals and who didn't. But if UIL can hire one incompetent judge for prelimns this time, they can hire two or three next time. Let's please weed out the judges who shouldn't be there.

Also, add my voice to those suggesting some of you give it a couple of days before telling the disappointed kids to get over it. Yes, they will get over it and they will be fine. But they don't have to be over it in less than 48 hours. And while I'm at it, about the suggestion that they take this as a reminder or motivation for next year: this is UIL. It only happens every other year. There is no next year for close to half the band.

I realize that marching band contest judging is subjective, but that judge that scored Round Rock a 22 and Anderson a 26 is an incompetent hack. I don't know who he is and he may be a fine director, but he shouldn't allowed anywhere near a marching contest.

Yes, I understand that this one judge isn't what kept RR and Anderson out of finals. I'm not complaining about who got into finals and who didn't. But if UIL can hire one incompetent judge for prelimns this time, they can hire two or three next time. Let's please weed out the judges who shouldn't be there.

Also, add my voice to those suggesting some of you give it a couple of days before telling the disappointed kids to get over it. Yes, they will get over it and they will be fine. But they don't have to be over it in less than 48 hours. And while I'm at it, about the suggestion that they take this as a reminder or motivation for next year: this is UIL. It only happens every other year. There is no next year for close to half the band.

If it was Scott Coulson you may want to rethink that... Not sure if it was though I know he was slated to be there before they went to different judges for prelims and finals

Scott Coulson and Fred Velez were the finals marching judges, so they weren't involved in the prelims mess. However, they were very off from each other even though both are incredibly respected and qualified. It was a deep field with a lot of different styles represented. Coulson rewarded the very clean (Lake Travis 2nd) over the very flashy (Johnson 7th.) If you look at each individual judge's finals ranks, there is clear internal logic and consistency. You can tell what they were looking for. Prelims.....I'm not sure if that's true. Granted, I wasn't there and haven't seen everything yet. I watched Anderson's prelims performance and I can see where the disagreements come from. There are just large chunks of the show where they aren't moving very much. That can be irritating to a marching judge. Musically, they generally execute tough material well, but there are intonation and precision issues that a judge could latch on to if they were really nitpicking. In most areas, that was a top 10 performance, but in this very deep field, I'm not sure where I would have had them. I could imagine ten bands from that list playing and marching better. I'm hoping for more Area D videos to pop up soon.

I was impressed that the Round Rock band stayed through almost all of the finals. Yes, they left right before Westlake performed, but it took a lot of character to sit through all of those shows after the obvious disappointment of not making finals. I only got to sit in the stands for the first three shows in the finals (I push part of Westlake's staircase) and we sat up in the stands to the upper left of the Round Rock kids. I saw no misbehavior of any kind out of the group - I don't know how well I would have kept my composure in the same situation at that age. We were shocked that Round Rock didn't go though to the finals.

I believe they are supposed to be planets, since (unless I can't count) there are 7 of them for each of the planets in the planets suite by Holst (which is what they are playing)

Bowie's skins haven't yet arrived for their planets. They are hoping to have them by state. One of the Bowie parents told me that one of the BOA Denton judges was puzzled by their "mouse traps."

Back in 1994 there was a band that everyone thought would go to State for the firt time. Back then there was no Area prelims and finals, so it was a one shot deal. This band did an outstanding performance. Peaked at the perfect time. There were 27 bands at area, but then only 3 at the most got to go on to state from any one area. That band came in 4th. The judges were split giving that band even a first place from 3, yes only 3, judges at that contest. That band too was devistated and vowed to work harder the next year and the next, and the next. People commented, in person of course, because forums did not yet exit that that band got screwed and UIL sucked and it was unfair. Well, things have changed a lot and UIL is better, but still has a way to go to be "fair" whatever that could be, but life goes on. BTW that band was Bowie.

In any performance contest, there is going to be a signficant amount of subjectivity, particularly at the top levels -- whether it's marching band or theatre or ballroom dancing. For example, it's one thing when a panel of diving judges give a diver a spread of a 9.4 to a 9.7. But when one judge awards an 8.3 and the rest of the panel is at 9.0 to 9.5, and that judge gives a 9.8 to a diver the rest of the panel is giving an 8.6, something's wrong. That judge is using a whole different standard of measurement than the others.

Judges will make subjectively different assessments, but they need to be on the same general page about what it is that they're judging. Otherwise, there's no point in having judges. You might as well draw lots to see who advances.

In any performance contest, there is going to be a signficant amount of subjectivity, particularly at the top levels -- whether it's marching band or theatre or ballroom dancing. For example, it's one thing when a panel of diving judges give a diver a spread of a 9.4 to a 9.7. But when one judge awards an 8.3 and the rest of the panel is at 9.0 to 9.5, and that judge gives a 9.8 to a diver the rest of the panel is giving an 8.6, something's wrong. That judge is using a whole different standard of measurement than the others.

Judges will make subjectively different assessments, but they need to be on the same general page about what it is that they're judging. Otherwise, there's no point in having judges. You might as well draw lots to see who advances.

I totally agree... There are too many variences...We all know that Judges go into contest with favorites, We all know that there bands that unless every kid fell is going to make it through, We know all that some Judges have a "thing" concerning other bands.

My whole issue is they should throw out the highest and lowest scores. This is a way to keep everyone honest - Judges wouldn't want their score thrown out therefore it would bring the judging to the same playing level.

UIL has got to do something... this is just getting out of hand with the wacked out scoring of some judges.

IMO......

For all the wacky inconsistencies, we still wound up with a 7 point gap between 10th and 11th, which ultimately means that the judges did their jobs and there was a rough consensus on who the top 10 bands were that day. Yes, somebody had Round Rock 22nd and that might have been too low. At the same time, nobody had them higher than 10th. It's hard to make a case that anyone was screwed over in prelims. The only band who really has a right to complain about scoring is probably Westwood, who only missed out on State advancement by one rank point.

For all the wacky inconsistencies, we still wound up with a 7 point gap between 10th and 11th, which ultimately means that the judges did their jobs and there was a rough consensus on who the top 10 bands were that day. Yes, somebody had Round Rock 22nd and that might have been too low. At the same time, nobody had them higher than 10th. It's hard to make a case that anyone was screwed over in prelims. The only band who really has a right to complain about scoring is probably Westwood, who only missed out on State advancement by one rank point.

Well said, it doesn't matter which judging system you use, some band will always have a gripe when it's all over... see state 2003 class 4A.... We still want to march 14 in finals from that tie

I was wondering when we'd see the "reputation" card pulled. Afraid to to say that playing that card here is really against your point, as Round Rock is hardly a band with no reputation. They've been an iconic band in this area for a very long time. If anything, the fact that Round Rock didn't make finals is a testament to the fact that this contest doesn't use "reputation" in their judging rubric.

Really.. you were wondering about that? Now that apparently everyone has seen all the Cards that they were wondering about we can stop wondering about what card is next to be played........

BTW: totally disagree, yes, RR is known in the past 3 years to be getting better and better yet even up to last year remained in that "Bubble" word that some many people refer to. So therefore you have missed my point. Funny how you even say the word Iconic and not reputation in your statement. Yes, Round Rock has been around but they haven't been known for their marching shows, with the exception of the drumline, they weren't even in the running...So for Round Rock to get a reputation they will need to be consistent with every contest they enter... It has been only this year that they have been with that "lock" word.

I never once indicated that this contest used reputation in their judging... if you read my blog then you would have seen I was referring to a situation that I felt would have happened ........