how does the PIT earn their PE credit?

Wow...this is the second thread I've seen with some pit criticism. I don't get it. Our battery and pit get along great and hang out socially after games and competitions.

My child is one of the battery captains, but has also played in the pit (marching and indoor). In fact, many of our percussion students transition back and forth between battery and pit during their four years. It is encouraged because it makes for a very well-rounded musicians. Contrary to popular stereotyping, at our school, the percussion students who have made region band have all marched battery....and the pit percussion students all do very physically demanding work and more than earn their PE credit. They are always the first to arrive and the last to leave when trucks are loaded which is really tough when buses roll in from an event at midnight or practice ends late in the evening and everyone has a big exam the next day. At every single practice, they move a massive amount of equipment to and from the practice field.

Bottom line, a great show needs a great front ensemble. And because I'm a proud parent, I'll link our percussion section's performance at last year's "Drums at Falls". They won best percussion unit and best pit (and best tenor line I believe). (They also won best percussion unit at SHSU last year). Point is not to brag, but to point out that the best drumlines have a battery and pit who respect and value each other and who work well together. (Okay...point is also to brag a little...I admit it. :D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv0t14hiFUQ...=1&index=24

• 1 year later...

Ahhh...I've wondered this as well. First off, about loading stuff, pit rolls a few things outside, then the equipment crew (none of which, are in pit), loads stuff. Going to practice...our field is really close by. So, the pit rolls their stuff there, but then after rehearsal, our band directors make us take stuff back to our band hall. And they freak out when we dont get the chimes or like, a tiny xylophone. And they dont do stretches, run, or anything.... so...ours get a lazyness credit. (oh, and at contest, our EQUIPMENT CREW unloads pit stuff and it's always right next to where we enter the field)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay. I don't have kids in the Pit or the battery. However, my kids' band has phys ed testing at the end of every marching season for every member of the band. You have to pass this test all four years in order to earn the required two PE credits. It involves running, push ups, pull ups, and sit ups, I believe. For me, this ends any debate on whether one group "works harder" than any other. Everyone is held to the same standard and must pass the same test. ta-da!

Edited by TXMarchingMadness87654

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...