Trumpets!

TRtrumpet

The two first trumpets are awesome, but our trumpet line is pretty young. Me and my section leader are the only high schoolers. The other 5 are seventh graders. On a 1-10 scale i'd give our line a 6 1/2. I wanted to try out for region and stuff like that on trumpet but my director wanted me to do it on sax...

our trumpet line is very young. two seniors in all, out of about 25, and only one is 1st part. first part is 1 senior, 3 juniors, and 3 sophomores. 2nd part is 1 senior, 3 juniors, 5 soph, and 3 freshmen (6 didn't march). Its pretty balanced though. I guess i would give it a 6.

last year though, we had the second best trumpet in the state, and other good ones. but the year before that, was amazing. 4 sr trumpets along with, the 2nd best trumpet in the state, and another really good trumpet player on first part. That was definitly the best trumpet section our band has ever had. too bad they weren't featured at all for being so good! which is odd, because our head band director plays trumpet! yhi :rolleyes:

next year looks promising though.....

We have 35 trumpets, so there are a few really weak members, but almost all of us are fairly awesome, and once you get about half way up there is a big clump of us who are really good, and are teh only competetion for each other at the City level (not sure about region yet), which is why we got 9 out of 12 spots, and then there is a big gap, then you have our 2 and 3 spot players who are juniors, and are friggin amazing, then there is a canyon in skilll and at the top you have our first chair, who is considered by many to be a god of sorts.

Anyone else using mutes for any of thier concert band songs. We are using them for one of our songs.

We used 3 mutes for our Holiday conert...3! In a 3rd band! He made us go and buy a cup and a harmon mute, but most of us had straight mutes already...

Anyways, can anyone explain the difference btw the diff numbers and letters in mouthpeices? I know that they lay differently, but what does the size specify?

On another note, does anyone know a good trumpet trio? I'm going shopping tomorrow...and I have no clue where to start! Our range isn't great...so nothing too hard is an option...

• 3 weeks later...

For our trumpet trio, were doing "Three Of A Kind". Its a pretty simple song, and its fun to play. The range is pretty mello thru out the song too.

Anyways I have a queston. I lost a little screw on my trumpet. Heres a pic of what im talkin about:

Trumpet1.jpg

Is this Easly replaceable... if so how much do yout think it is. I lost it on the football field during a show. <_<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
its a SAX solo. Hah yeah im a traitor.

TRAITOR!! Nah, I kid. We have no solos this year...sadly. We have a flute solo during our second movement. There was this trumpet feature that I am SURE was going to be a solo just because it is in the concert version of the song, but we cut that part out of the final draft of our arrangement. So depressing....

That sucks. That happened to us last year in our show. I love solos though... there awesome.

If you read the "Carnival of Venice" thread you already know im attemting to learn the Carnival Of Venice (The Arbans Trumpet solo verison). It's coming along pretty good so far. I heard a Senior Girl play it at band leadership camp. It was amazing.

• 3 weeks later...