french horns

french_horn_finatic

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Band parent here. I ride the French horn bus with my senior daughter. We have 28 French horn players but 26 march in a band of about 260(230 marching). The others either don't play on varsity or are in the color guard. I love that there are so many. When I was in high school, we had maybe four or five. They sound great, but I agree that if anyone is out of tune, it sounds bad...but...isn't it the same with any instrument? My son plays sax. There are 33, I believe. I'm not sure how many march. The biggest section is clarinet with 44. Anyway, fun topic!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My band has 28 horns, with only five or six that didn't march this year-I can't really remember exactly how many didn't march, but it might've been more than six. One of our horns that did march marched trumpet because one of our trumpets quit halfway through the season.

Obviously, I'm a clarinet, but I love the sound of the mello and French horn. It's by far my favorite brass instrument, and I'm planning on learning to play it so I can (possibly) do drum corps. Or I might do trumpet. But I'd prefer mello.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...