Regarding Marching Band Media

mbui

Since the Skramp's Marching Band mp3 website and TexasBands media section shut down back in November, a lot of you have been asking about it. What happened? Where did it go? Will it ever be back?

While I do not know the future of media on TexasBands, here is a post from "Skramp", his real name escapes my mind right now, from the Music for All/Bands of America Forums regarding the situation of his website.

(http://forums.bands.org/vb/showthread.php?t=29895)

Ok, so I've resisted and wrestled with posting this for a while now, but I figured now is a good time as we are nearing a new season. I'm sure most of you are wondering why the site went down and I'm sure everyone is in withdraw because I can't provide their fix anymore, so I figured it's about time I let everyone in on why the site is gone and some other serious things that need to be said, so pay attention and please read this entirely.

First, let me say that the site NEEDED to be removed. I can prove this with one sentence that still haunts me....I almost, single-handedly shut down BOA. Becuase the site existed, it caused numerous problems that almost caused the collapse of an organization we hold so dear. Now, before you start screaming, let me explain. Because of the site I had, it allowed those people with nothing better to do an outlet to find things to sue about. They were able to easilt access all the videos and audio and find anyone who played something they didn't have rights to and therefore bring numerous claims against BOA for profiting off of something they were never given permission to distribute.

I have felt horrible for months and that's why I haven't posted all that much since Nationals. But, I feel that I owe everyone an explanation since the site just disappeared instantly. We wont get into how I found out this information, but lets just agree it's valid and very understandable.

Now, I'm reaching out to everyone here and everyone you know. I did a search on YouTube the other night and found almost 500 BOA videos on there. I don't want to sound like a parent or anything, but if you have any videos posted there that are direct rips of BOA videos, PLEASE remove them instantly!!! Or if you know someone who has them there or is going to upload them soon, PLEASE direct them not to follow thru. This is just giving more fuel to the fire. We need to ban together and stop this in it's tracks. As long as those videos are out there for anyone to view, the lawsuits and problems will keep coming. And those lawsuits will eventually lead to BOA closing.

I'm sure that some people will scoff at all this and not believe it and that's fine, but just know that if that's your attitude, you had better start supporting the USSBA because that's all you're going to have in the future. Now, you don't need to remove all band videos from YouTube or related sites, just those that are direct rips off of any BOA video. If you have a practice or football game video, you can post it at your own risk, but be warned that you could bring unwanted attention to whatever group you are publicizing.

Again, not meaning to sound like a parent, but right now there is a lot of coporate music type people out there with nothing better to do than hunt down marching bands who perform their music without the proper rights or clearances, then go after them for damages. It's a sick sad world we live in right now where everyone wants the almighty dollar and they don't care who they destroy in the process of getting it.

If you are a fan, alumni or involved in the activity, you will understand the seriousness of the situation and act accordingly. We need to stop giving these coporate music people any type of "ammo" to use against and start striving to make the activity the best it can be. I am sincerely sorry to everyone in BOA for what my website almost caused for the activity. I hope I can be forgiven and welcomed back in the fold by everyone and we can continue to grow an outstanding activity. I just ask that before anyone or anyone you know posts another video, ask yourself if you really think it's worth it?

I know we all want to see PCEP '99, Spring '93 and so many others, but let's take a break from posting things on public sites that only lead to problems. This is a very serious situation that needs to be dealt with courteously and responsibly and no matter if you are freshman, senior, alumni or parent, let's all agree to put an end to the file sharing. It's something that needs to stop, not for me, not for you, but for everyone.

Thank you,
Skramp