Donations 2006 - Help Support TxBands

Dynasty

To all of my fellow TxBands.com band nerds,

The end of the 2006 Marching season has finally come, and what a season it has been! Starting back in the heat of July (or even earlier), we started learning our marching shows. And here we are three months later, with a masterpiece of music education in action. Perhaps the best thing about forums is that all previous conversations can be accessed. I love looking back in the depths of the Everything Music forum and seeing people talk about their shows for the next year. So, again, congratulations to all of the fantastic bands this year... I am definitely think Texas bands get better each year!

But I also hate this time of year, because we have to ask for money. The expenses of TxBands are pretty negligible, and are all suited towards our members. We believe very much in financial transparency. If you have any questions, please ask! Below is a breakdown of the donations page:

Donate Here!

5 Things to Know Before Donating

1. Me, Alex, and the Staff will contribute out of pocket if we do not meet our goals. We love the website too much to let anything happen.
  2. We currently have $31.71 in our PayPal Account (As of 11/12/06). PayPal takes 3% of all donated amount, plus 30 cents initially. So if you donate $1, we get 67 cents. If you donate 2, we get 1.64.
  3. If you donate to our Dreamhost account, we cannot spend that money elsewhere. Dreamhost also charges 3% and takes an initial 30 cents.
  4. We believe in 100% financial transparency. Ask if you have any questions.
  5. You guys are great. We love having this website.

What You Get For Donating - Man, it's great!

1. VIP Forum Access (PM if you have questions)
  2. Your name becomes Yellow
  3. All posts count - Including Off-Topic
  4. Free Email/FTP Account (Size depending on amount donated)
  5. Free Web Hosting (Depending on amount, again)

What TxBands.com Needs - With color coding action!

1. Dreamhost Web Hosting - Very Critical - $120:

Well, I hate to break the news, but TxBands.com is a website. And we need webhosting to have a website. Dreamhost.com is a great webhost. For only 10 dollars a month we get 2TB+ of bandwidth and 200GB+ of disk space. That may not mean a lot to most of you, but that is extraordinary! Dreamhost does a great job on keeping their servers online.

The 120 dollars is how much we need to keep TxBands.com online for another year. Dreamhost includes the domain (txbands.com) with this 120, so we don't have to pay to re-new it each year. Again, this 120 is CRITICAL. I believe our hosting expires in Late January, though I'll have to check.

2. Invision Power Board 2.1 - Important - $70:

Right now we are using an unlicensed version of Invision Power Board (IPB), version 1.3. Invision gives out IPB 1.3 for free, though, because it is unlicensed (which is perfectly legal), we cannot get support when it breaks. Most things on the user's end works, but every so often you run into an error when running a search or reading a forum. This is because the software is 3 years old.

Invision Power Board 2.1 will fix several problems. The biggest reason is that we will be licensed for 1 year. Now we can get support for problems, as well as getting all of the updates from Invision. Also, because 2.1 is much newer and powerful, there are several modifications we could install that aren't available for 1.3. Some of the modifications we have for 1.3 are the arcade, referral service, and membermap. 2.1 just has a plethora of better mods. Finally, though the community won't appreciate it very much, 2.1 has a MUCH better admin panel (that works).

2.1 would really make the forums a lot better.

3. Predictions and MeetMe Rewards- Helps TxBands! - And Travis's and Alex's wallet - $150:

We love predictions and MeetMe. Next year will be better, with more winners and more fun events to participate in. We will definitely try to have a MeetMe at all major events, rather than sporadically like this year. The $150 covers DCI Predictions ($20 - $10, $5, $5), Marching Predictions ($20 - $10, $5, $5), and WGI Predictions ($20 - $10, $5, $5). The other $90 goes to 18 $5 MeetMe Rewards.

All of the predictions money will first be used in 2007 when WGI starts up.

4. TxBLearn (A new feature!) - For the Future of TxBands - $160:

I'm not going to say a whole lot about TxBLearn, because its still being developed. I think it's going to be one of the coolest things we have ever done. It will be a big hit with the entire community, from students to band directors.

In a nutshell, the 160 dollars will go towards paying people who will contribute to TxBLearn. Stay tuned for more announcements.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. You guys are fantastic!

Wow... that would be... amazing! :D

Just so you guys know, no one has donated yet. I know we aren't going anywhere fast, but the sooner we can at least pay off the forums and web hosting, I promise I'll stop harassing.

Every $5 or $10 bucks helps.

If you need a mailing address, PM me. I can take your cash and then just contribute online using my debit card (as to eliminate me having to manage physical cash set aside for TxBands).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...