September 11th Tribute

Danpod

If you believe that you are able to stomach the chilling images of Septerber 11th, 2001, I would like to invite you to click on the link before to a special September 11th Tribute from Drum Corps Planet. The song featured in the tribute is the Madison Scouts Corps Song, You'll Never Walk Alone.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/911tribute/index.htm

We all remember where we were on the morning of September 11th. I was a Junior in High School and all I heard were rumors about what happened. My first class of the day was English and our teacher, much like other teachers in the school that day, refused to turn on the television to follow the events taking place. As I walked through the halls that day, the number of tears and frowning faces grew exponentially larger, telling me that something was terribly wrong. In between classes, students would crowd into classrooms that did allow coverage of the event to see what was going on, hoping that the rumors they heard was false.

Once the word spread, lesson plans, slowly but surely, were thrown out the window. All after school activities were cancelled. Cancelled???? Excuse me??? **** that ****! I live in Texas, a State where football is King! I live in Texas, a State where nothing short of the Four Horsemen trotting on my practice field is going to prevent my band from rehearsing today. Nevertheless, they told us to go home. It's always weird not going to rehearsal. We are institutionalized to our practice fields. If we're not there, then where the heck are we!? I don't mind having a day off from rehearsal, but not at the expense of what happened on September 11th.

Yes. They knocked down our buildings. Did Bands of America cancel Grand Nationals? Did Bands of America hault the production, knowing that thousands of band students, parents, and fans were flying in from all corners of The United States, knowing that people would think twice about stepping on an aircraft? The Answer: The Show Will Go On. No one can take away the art of music and motion and Bands of America understood that. Sure, they could have cancelled Nationals and tried to refund everyone's hard earned money but that was not the lesson they wanted to send to their participants and fans.

The Message:

We will march. We will play. We will slam our horns down with pride. We will put on the greatest show of our lives. You can take my buildings. You cannot take my music. You cannot take my motion. You cannot take my passion for the Marching Arts.

Remember this day. Be thankful for what you have. If you are at practice or you were at practice, tell your fellow band friends that you love them. Always remember that you and your band mates are connected by a bond that cannot be penetrated.