My Thoughts, Scores & Pics

My post on the BOA Houston Regional will be broken into four different parts on this thread....

-Thoughts

-My Scores with the Recap Sheet

-Band Information

-Pictures (If you're my friend on Facebook, you can view all 90 pics from the Regional in my photo album.)

You can find them all in the posts below. Enjoy..

I woke up Saturday morning at 5:45am to get ready for the 2007 BOA Houston, TX Regional Championships in Pearland, Texas. I left the house at around 6:30 and arrived at the stadium at 7. I was happy with the site location because not only is the Pearland District Stadium (The Rig) a fine facility, but Pearland is located in the same county that I reside in. I live about 30 miles south of Pearland in Angleton so it was a short drive up to the stadium rather than hitting the highways and interstates in Houston.

I arrived at The Rig, parked my car, and made my way to the box office to purchase my tickets. I bought the Day Pass for both Prelims & Finals which cost me $23. It's a great deal considering that you get to watch 28 bands in Prelims and 12 (plus the two exhibitions) in Finals. And when you add it all up....that

The following are my own Prelims & Finals recaps. I like to "play" judge sometimes. I like to sit back, watch the shows from every possible angle, put down my numbers, and then compare them to the actual results. I write down all of my numbers after each band has performed using the actual recap and judging criteria of the respective circuit. The difference between my recap is that I show how I arrive at the actual score for each subcaption....something that BOA doesn't show on their actual recap. I did this last year on the BOA Forums and got a great response from it.

Remember, that these recaps are for entertainment purposes only. Actual recaps of the Houston Regional can be found on the Music for All website on Monday at http://musicforall.org

Band Information & Repertoire

Brazoswood HS

Clute, Texas

Director: Jim Koch, Brian Casey, Eric Harper, and Jason Meyers

Drum Majors: Lydia Caldejon, Briana Dunn, and Nathan Roznovsky

Show Repertoire: "Rain" including music from 'The Passion' by John Debney, 'Cloudburst' & 'Water Night' by Eric Whitacre, 'Escapade' by Joseph Spaniola, and 'Aegean Festival Overture' by Andreas Makris

Clear Brook HS

Friendswood, Texas

Director: Stan Mauldin

Drum Majors: Amanda Kennedy, Bethany Grosse, Sarah Fernandez and Alex Judd

Show Repertoire: "RePercussion' featuring the music of John Mackey including 'Turbine' and 'Do Not Go Gently Into That Good Night'

Clear Lake HS

Clear Lake, Texas

Director: Joe Munoz

Drum Majors: Donia Friday, Grace Green, Kyle Scott, and Karen Young

Show Repertoire: "Mission to Mars"

Columbus HS

Columbus, Texas

Director: Randy Brugh

Drum Majors: Rebecca Harris, Katelyn Hobuagh, Chris Smothers, and Victoria Tyler

Show Repertoire: "The Music of Gloria Estefan" including 'Conga', "Turn the Beat Around', 'Destiny', 'Music's Gonna Get You', and, 'Get on your Feet'

Conroe HS

Conroe, Texas

Director: Bobby Heathcock

Drum Majors: Angelina Sayon, Kristen L'Anglois, and Katie Brown

Show Repertoire: "I Remember When..." featuring the music of Benjamin Britten, Frank Chambers, and Dawn Martinez

Cypress Falls HS

Houston, Texas

Director: Shawn McAnear

Drum Majors: Daniel Du, Daniel Haddad, and Lindsey Kresta

Show Repertoire: "The Shining" featuring original music by Aaron Guidry including 'Blizzard', 'Dreamland', 'Ballroom', 'Hedge Maze', and 'Explosion'

Cypress Woods HS

Houston, Texas

Director: Diana Garcia

Drum Majors: Ashley Scrambray, Natalie Evans, and Agha Nkama

Show Repertoire: Selections from X! by Key Poulan and 'Storm' by Allen Joanis

Friendswood HS

Friendswood, Texas

Directors: Greg Dick, Aaron Brown, and Julio Sanchez

Drum Majors: Rajesh Soodeen, Kelly Stamy, and Matthew Cox

Show Repertoire: "Torque" featuring the music of Michael Torque including 'Javelin', 'Bright Blue Music', 'West 102nd Street', and 'Jasper'

Harlingen HS

Harlingen, Texas

Director: Ronnie Rios

Drum Majors: Miranda Marquette & Lizette Cortez

Show Repertoire: "Center Stage" featuring the music of Key Poulan

James Bowie HS

Austin, Texas

Director: Bruce Dinkins

Drum Majors: Rachel Glenn & Kelly Moynihan

Show Repertoire: "The Music of Leonard Bernstein" including 'West Side Story', 'Candide', 'Jermiah Symphony', & 'On the Waterfront'

Klein HS

Klein, Texas

Directors: Scott Deppe

Drum Majors: Heidi McIntosh, Zach Muddiman, and Claire Krucik

Show Repertoire: "Rendezvous" based on original music by Astor Piazzola

Klein Forest HS

Houston, Texas

Directors: Paul Worosello, Lynda Eubanks, and Ryan Barker

Drum Majors: Huong Nguyen Anthony Dingle, and Ashley Dixon

Show Repertoire: "Pianoforte" including 'Middle C', 'Leibestraum #3', and 'Piano Man'

Lafayette HS

Lafayette, Louisiana

Directors: Scotty Walker, Ronnie Gleason, and Shana Sampia

Drum Majors: Sarah Koerber, Becky Landry, and Cory Etheredge

Show Repertoire: 'Greater Than' featuring the music of Ottorino Respighi and Peter Graham

Lamar Consolidated HS

Rosenberg, Texas

Directors: Ram Estrada & Oscar Cano

Drum Majors: Lindsay Abbott, Rosy Ebel, and Karla Cagandahan

Show Repertoire: "Groovin'" including 'Dance Mix', 'Let's Tango', & 'Dance, Dance, Dance!'

Leander HS

Leander, Texas

Director: Nils Gunderson

Drum Majors: Jamie Epley, Anna Norris, Anna Pham

Show Repertoire: 'Rocky Point Holiday', 'Aspen Jubilee', 'Sonoran Desert Holiday', and 'Savanna River Holiday'

Martin HS

Arlington, Texas

Directors: Gordon Hart, David Carbone, Jennifer Hay, and Michael Knipe

Drum Majors: Stephen Garman, Adam Nelson, and Kevin Winter

Show Repertoire: "THE NETWORK" including 'The Four Sections' by Steve Reich, 'Call Me' by Deborah Harry, 'I Just Called to Say I Love You' by Stevie Wonder, and 'Hunting Wabbits' by Gordon Goodwin

Oak Ridge HS

Conroe, Texas

Director: Jack Allen

Drum Majors: Hailey Michels, Brittany Benoit, and Leanne Rodger

Show Repertoire: "The Race" by Michael Pote with percussion design by Lamar Burkhalter

Pearland HS

Pearland, Texas

Director: Doug Grice

Drum Majors: CeCe Chang, Caroline Schaefer, Katie Urban, and Megan Price

Show Repertoire: "The Music of Andrew Yozviak" including 'Winter Opener', 'Sleigh Ride', 'Snow Angels', and 'Blizzard'

Ronald Reagan HS

San Antonio, Texas

Director: Mark Koehl, Ruben Escamillia, Levi Chavis, and Roland Chavez

Drum Majors: Noelani Ascio, Jordan McCurdy, and Courtney Williams

Show Repertoire: "It Chooses Me" incuding selected themes from 'Symphonie Fantastique' by Hector Berlioz and original music by Aaron Guidry

Seven Lakes HS

Katy, Texas

Director: Damon Archer

Drum Majors: Susanna Dietz, Carlos Mendoza, and Madeline Racine

Show Repertoire: "Blue Voices" including 'Blue Shades' by Frank Ticheli, 'Your Attention Please" & "Up to the Roof" by Blue Man Group, and 'Blue Rondo a la Turk' by Dave Brubeck

Sharyland HS

Mission, Texas

Director: Neil Nelson

Drum Majors: Nick Gorena, Dana Castillo, and Thomas Rivera

Show Repertoire: Tchaikovsky's "Romeo & Juilet"

Spring HS

Spring, Texas

Directors: Terri Risinger, Steven McDonald, Gabe Musella, Rick Rodriguez, and Kelsey Gleason

Drum Majors: Bridget Parks, Victoria Walker, and Lauren Moore

Show Repertoire: "And Beyond..." original composition by Aaron Guidry based on selections from 'The Planets'

Stephen F. Austin HS

Sugar Land, Texas

Director: Dustin Winson

Drum Majors: Shirley Luong, Rebecca Ramirez, and Tanner Smith

Show Repertoire: "Mass - A Piece for Players and Dancers" featuring music of Leonard Bernstein

The Woodlands College Park HS

The Woodlands, Texas

Directors: Charlotte Royall, Wes Roberton, and Adrian Munoz

Drum Majors: Stetson Begin, Krystle Harrison, and Joshua Heebner

Show Repertoire: "Tempest" including 'Church Windows', Movements I & IV by Ottorino Respighi

Victoria Memorial HS

Victoria, Texas

Director: David Edge

Drum Majors: Magan Hardy, Kelly Van Cleave, and Katie Riley

Show Repertoire: "Forged Creations" including 'Anvil of Crom', 'Salvation is Created', and 'Tempered Steel'

Waller HS

Waller, Texas

Director: Cory Meals

Drum Majors: Lauren Forester & Kimberey Hunter

Show Repertoire: "Journeys of the Mind" featuring the music of Benoit Jutras & Robert W. Smith

William B. Travis HS

Richmond, Texas

Director: Nathan Carter

Drum Majors: Christina Sabillon & Isabelle Atkinson

Show Repertoire: "Make a Joyful Noise" featuring Noisy Wheels of Joy' by Eric Whitacre, 'Variants on a Medieval Tune' by Norman Dello Joio, and 'Liturgical Dances' by David Holsinger

Winston Churchill HS

San Antonio, Texas

Director: Albert Lo

Drum Majors: Scott Duncan, Seth Woody, and Stephanie Hestilow

Show Repertoire: "Letters Home" featuring the music of Aaron Copland, Bela Bartok, John Rutter, and Morton Gould