5 replies to this topic

#1 AllenBandDad

AllenBandDad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 09:46 PM

Great story from Allen: High schooler with vision impairment marches with Allen band

#2 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:47 AM

Great story from Allen: High schooler with vision impairment marches with Allen band

What a cool story! 🤗
Each day is a gift. That’s why it’s called “the present.”

#3 LHSbandDad

LHSbandDad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLeander, TX

Posted 02 December 2019 - 02:23 AM

Great story!!  Reminds me of BOA Austin a couple years ago I saw a kid in the pit who was in a wheelchair.  I am no percussion expert but he seemed to be doing pretty good.  Thank goodness for band directors who provide opportunities like this for everyone!!

#4 ATXBandNerd

ATXBandNerd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 10:31 PM

POPULAR

My daughter is legally blind and does guard for Westwood.  She has to work harder, but it's totally worth it for her.  She also runs cross country and track.

#5 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 19 December 2019 - 11:23 PM

That’s amazing momma!
Each day is a gift. That’s why it’s called “the present.”

#6 ATXBandNerd

ATXBandNerd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 05:04 PM

POPULAR

That’s amazing momma!

She's amazing.  It's really all due to her father...well really his parents.  Our kid inherited the condition that he has.  When she was born, we didn't know it was genetic.  So we were totally shocked.  However, his parents raised him to not feel sorry for himself.  They also raised him to be self reliant.  He ran track in high school, spent 4 years at Texas A&M, and is so normal.  So much so that people forget that he's blind.  So when our daughter was born, I was sad for like 5 minutes.  She's got good enough vision that she doesn't need a cane, but she'll never drive. The kids that have gone to school with her protect her, and like her dad, they forget she's blind because she acts so normal.  And kuddos to Round Rock ISD and Westwood High School, and Thomas Turpin and Chris Josey of the Westwood Warrior Band.  They accommodate her and advocate for her.  As a result, I am their number 1 fan.  They don't have to do that, but they do, and her father and I will be forever grateful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users