Vandegrift because wow

I feel like Vandegrift gets all this crap for being too traditional and playing too much classical music but can we just acknowledge the fact that their 2019 (GRAND NATS CHAMPION !!) show features an Evanescence song in the ballad?

Here is the song - 

Who would have thought that Vandegrift would be performing a rock piece?!

Posted this on the HornRank forums and I think it is perfect for this thread, so here is all of Vandegrift's class championship titles. As far as I'm aware, they are the only band to have won a title in all 4 classes, A-AAAA, AND to have made finals at least once during all of the times of those classes in BOA history:

2010 Arlington, TX - 1st in Class A
2010 The Woodlands, TX - 1st in Class A (3rd overall in finals)
2010 San Antonio, TX - 1st in Class A
2011 Conroe, TX - 1st in Class AA
2012 Denton, TX - 1st in Class AA (6th overall in finals)
2012 San Antonio, TX - 1st in Class AA
2013 Austin, TX - 1st in Class AAA (4th overall in finals)
2013 San Antonio, TX - 1st in Class AAA (7th overall in finals)
2016 Austin, TX - 1st in Class AAAA (1st overall in finals)
2017 Conroe, TX - 1st in Class AAAA (1st overall in finals)
2019 Austin, TX - 1st in Class AAAA (1st overall in finals)
2019 Grand Nationals - 1st in Class AAAA (1st overall in finals)

Truly a model program with some incredible history.

Posted this on the HornRank forums and I think it is perfect for this thread, so here is all of Vandegrift's class championship titles. As far as I'm aware, they are the only band to have won a title in all 4 classes, A-AAAA, AND to have made finals at least once during all of the times of those classes in BOA history:

2010 Arlington, TX - 1st in Class A
2010 The Woodlands, TX - 1st in Class A (3rd overall in finals)
2010 San Antonio, TX - 1st in Class A
2011 Conroe, TX - 1st in Class AA
2012 Denton, TX - 1st in Class AA (6th overall in finals)
2012 San Antonio, TX - 1st in Class AA
2013 Austin, TX - 1st in Class AAA (4th overall in finals)
2013 San Antonio, TX - 1st in Class AAA (7th overall in finals)
2016 Austin, TX - 1st in Class AAAA (1st overall in finals)
2017 Conroe, TX - 1st in Class AAAA (1st overall in finals)
2019 Austin, TX - 1st in Class AAAA (1st overall in finals)
2019 Grand Nationals - 1st in Class AAAA (1st overall in finals)

Truly a model program with some incredible history.

not to knock their great season - but winning in multiple classes means little as many programs never have a chance to compete at lower class levels. Many new programs open their doors and are assigned to BOA 4A on day one. programs that start with less than 4 year programs have the advantage of competing at a lower level as BOA only counts student body in 10-12th grade - so programs with a strong middle school program (such as LISD) that has been feeding some great programs for years.  Many times, first in class A or event 2 A may be the only band in that class to compete. 

same situation with WGI a few years back when programs would win the TCGC state title because their was only 1 program in World Class

again - not knocking the phenomenal year that Vandy had and congrats to the program on bringing the Eagle back to Texas

not to knock their great season - but winning in multiple classes means little as many programs never have a chance to compete at lower class levels. Many new programs open their doors and are assigned to BOA 4A on day one. programs that start with less than 4 year programs have the advantage of competing at a lower level as BOA only counts student body in 10-12th grade - so programs with a strong middle school program (such as LISD) that has been feeding some great programs for years.  Many times, first in class A or event 2 A may be the only band in that class to compete. 

same situation with WGI a few years back when programs would win the TCGC state title because their was only 1 program in World Class

again - not knocking the phenomenal year that Vandy had and congrats to the program on bringing the Eagle back to Texas

My main focus was that they made finals in every single class and considering that Vandegrift opened their doors in 2009, it shows that they have ALWAYS been a fantastic program. I understand that new schools get the advantage in every class, but looking at recent new schools like Weiss or Johnson, they didn't make BOA finals as a class A band. And Weiss never won their class in AA (we'll see where they go in AAA). This isn't to knock those programs, just demonstrate the next level approach to band at Vandegrift compared to other startup schools.

My main focus was that they made finals in every single class and considering that Vandegrift opened their doors in 2009, it shows that they have ALWAYS been a fantastic program. I understand that new schools get the advantage in every class, but looking at recent new schools like Weiss or Johnson, they didn't make BOA finals as a class A band. And Weiss never won their class in AA (we'll see where they go in AAA). This isn't to knock those programs, just demonstrate the next level approach to band at Vandegrift compared to other startup schools.

Johnson did not make finals as a class A program because they opened their doors in 2008 and was a Class 3A on day one and Class 4A by their third year. 

Johnson did not make finals as a class A program because they opened their doors in 2008 and was a Class 3A on day one and Class 4A by their third year.

I think he meant the brand new Johnson high school from Buda. They didn’t make finals at BOA Austin but they won their class and they sure are looking to be an up and comer!

got it - it is normal for schools in Austin to open without a freshman - senior class?

New Leander schools open with Freshmen and Sophomores only. I know Weiss (Pflugerville ISD) and the new Johnson school did the same. I like it because Juniors and Seniors aren’t suddenly displaced and they get to graduate from their original school.

Vandergrift also is lucky enough to pull from a upper middle class to upper class demographic so they have more financial means that many other schools that start out.  It isn't everything, but it certainly helps with band.