2020 Boa Grand Nationals

• 2 weeks later...

Weighing GN and a trip to England and Ireland. Maybe I’ll manage both.

Well, if it comes to a choice, England and Ireland would be the right one. It has been a while since I've visited either place, but I feel like I drove over massive chunks of Ireland - Dublin, Wexford, Cork, Blarney (kissed the Blarney stone while I was there), Navan,Trim, Ennis, Adare, Limerick, Cashel, Giant's Causeway, Tara, Newgrange, Kells, Cliffs of Moher, The Burren, and more. I've been to London and a few places nearby (Camberley, Newbury), but spent most of my time in Scotland - honeymooned in Inverness and drove around quite a bit of the Scottish highlands.

• 4 weeks later...

And can someone give me a rundown of how this will work? Prelims Thursday/Friday? Semis Friday and Saturday?

Yes, prelims are Thursday and Friday ending with a ceremony Friday night where the drum majors do a retreat and the 36 or so semi finalists are announced. Saturday morning thru afternoon is semi finals, again ending with a drum major retreat and class awards along with the announcement of the 12 finalists. After a dinner break, finals begin. Saturday at Grand Nats is very similar in set up to BOA San Antonio on Saturday. Thursday and Friday are much more laid back there.

I’m thinking of flying out after work on Friday and just doing all day Saturday in Lucas Oil.

Yes, prelims are Thursday and Friday ending with a ceremony Friday night where the drum majors do a retreat and the 36 or so semi finalists are announced. Saturday morning thru afternoon is semi finals, again ending with a drum major retreat and class awards along with the announcement of the 12 finalists. After a dinner break, finals begin. Saturday at Grand Nats is very similar in set up to BOA San Antonio on Saturday. Thursday and Friday are much more laid back there.

I’m thinking of flying out after work on Friday and just doing all day Saturday in Lucas Oil.

DO IT!  

DO IT!  

I really want to!  I would say "for sure" except that one of my staff is a Vista Ridge colorguard mom and I need her to be able to take a few days off work, so I'm not sure I should take off too.  That's why I'm considering going late Friday night after work and flying back on Sunday.  Just gotta decide if it's worth the cost.  I mean I know it is, but I have other trips planned as well.  I want to go to WGI worlds in 2021 when Leander goes back.  And I've got a kiddo on the West coast I need to go see and my grandson on the East coast I need to go see.  Lots of flying in the next 15 months!  

We can add another Texas band to the list and one I'm particularly excited for: Haltom!

They went back in 2002 and placed 16th in semifinals, definitely will be gunning for finals as the past few seasons have shown their growth as a program.

Y’all are giving me more and more reasons to go see this year’s GN competition