Didn't trek out to see any shows this year but I've been watching some vids. My favorite so far has been Cedar Ridge. I think I've watched their Part 3 drum break (with eight chuu-daiko taiko drums) like 20 times.

I'm fairly biased but I'm also a pretty big fan of their show this year. So much cool writing all around, and a decently high amount of demand in that opening hit compared to a lot of the other programs I've seen this year, and the concept is something that seems simple but goes a long way.

Also, beating a dead horse, but love what Reagan is doing this year. That pre-show gets me really hyped up, and the raw power behind those hits is ridiculous.

Vandy's ballad is a stand out moment for me too. So intense, just wish I could hear the trombone over the band a tiny bit more.

Honorable mention to Harker Heights for having a really fun show. Love the 80s music they're playing.

So many great shows - but - after being at 5A Area B finals last night - the Wylie East Massive trombone feature/closer that starts with 8 trombones, then 16, then 40 trombones was amazing. Then this "massive man" kid on stilts comes out to their big cubes - crazy fun - wow - and even though that was the judges 4th place band - it was my favorite part of the whole contest!

Of the shows I've seen live, Reagan is my favorite. I am partial to them, but 2 things about this season: 1st, I loved Loop and was concerned they wouldn't be able to top it. I am so happy to report that my concerns were unfounded. Secret World just blows me away in a way Loop didn't, which is saying something given my love for Loop.  Second, live, Secret World is stunning on every level. There's no part of the show where you're left saying, "It was great except for...(fill in a weak spot)." Every section/performer is just spot on. It's a powerful show.

Next to Reagan, of the shows I've seen live, Vandegrift is my second. I love their drill and their brass is impeccable. 

I haven't seen any of the Dallas-area shows, so it could turn out that one of them will change my mind. We'll see!