UIL Legislative Council Meeting Music Results

Region 32 holds the reigning 5A and 6A

champions so it’s pretty heavy of only three districts to vote no a region with

great UIL success didn’t vote in favor. Somethings going to happen here.

Region 32 has a big voice holding both reigning

champions despite being in the minority of the votes the fact they’ve voted

against this says a lot to UIL.

And the baby steps to State every year makes no sense.

Like I said, this is exactly the way I heard it explained to me. This move is a small step in to having state every year. Now it may not happen, but this is a way of testing those waters and getting folks on board and used to change before proposing the next change.

It was the Directors who voted to STOP doing that. And they have voted multiple times overwhelmingly to keep it this way.

And it was the directors that just voted to move in this direction.

I am thinking that the seven judges referenced in a) would still judge the same fundamentals, right? There wouldn't be any judges over new captions like GE, just 3 marching and 4 music judges or something like that. If that is the case, I really like that proposal. We all discussed how important that is in an ordinal system last year after a single bad placement was shown could have a huge impact on placement (Round Rock for example).

C. Proposed Amendment

Section 1107(g) of the UIL Constitution and Contest Rules would be amended as follows, effective August 1.

2020, pending approval by the Commissioner of Education:

FOR CONFERENCES 5A AND 6A THE UIL

OFFICE SHALL ASSIGN SEVEN JUDGES, CONSISTING OF FOUR MUSIC JUDGES, TWO

VISUAL JUDGES, AND ONE CONTENT/DESIGN JUDGE.

The 7 judges passed. All changes though are still pending approval of the Commissioner of Education and if approved will be effective August 1, 2020.

THE STANDING COMMITTEE ON MUSIC
Passed the Following Proposals

a. A proposal to increase the number of judges from five to seven at state marching band
contests

b. A proposal to establish a pilot utilizing amended rules for the sight-reading evaluation
instruction period

c. A proposal to limit the number of wind instruments that can be amplified at a marching
band contest

d. A proposal to hold the area marching band contest annually

e. A proposal to require all marching bands certified to advance to the area contest receive a
division 1 rating at the region contest

f. A proposal to create an advisory committee for marching band competition

g. A proposal to create a state contest pilot for military style marching bands

h. A proposal to create a state contest pilot for instrumental chamber ensembles

THE STANDING COMMITTEE ON MUSIC
Denied, Rejected, or Took No Action on the Following Proposals

a. A proposal to change the state solo and ensemble contest to area contests

Also as far as changes to the state contest itself, I mentioned this on the other thread as well, but there is a proposed change to the 6A State Marching Contest in creating separate divisions, similar to what we see in the football currently. From the UIL Music Advisory Committee Meeting minutes this past July:

NEW PROPOSAL
A discussion item was brought forward from the Region 13 band division for UIL to
create a Division I and Division II state marching band contest in 6A. This item will be
included in the Spring 2020 agenda for all regions to discuss. 

1st post summarizes it well. But the biggest changes here are:

-Area Contest every year

-7 judges at State Marching for 5A/6A only CONSISTING OF FOUR MUSIC JUDGES, TWO VISUAL JUDGES, AND ONE CONTENT/DESIGN JUDGE

-Separate state marching contest for military bands

Also looks like a change to update the marching adjudication sheets that has been in the works by an ad hoc committee since July 2017. Looks like the 4 music judges will be adjudicating: Music Ensemble, Brass, Woodwinds, & Percussion with 200 points for each caption so a total of 800 total for music. Visual Ensemble (200), Visual Individual (200), so 400 for visual and then Design Content (200).

Also as I mentioned earlier, this is from the committee timeline:

Fall 2019
• Updated system is used possibly at the SMBC Only as a Pilot. (Possibly also used at one Area contest in conjunction with current system as a  side-by-side test, but not for official results). 

Which means the sheets while close to done will be re evaluated, and tweaked if need be after the test run at SMBC, with training to begin next summer for implementation for the 2020 marching season.

UIL's thought process for Area each year:

Proposal (Submitted by Region 3 Band Division) :
"UIL consider holding the Area Marching Band Championships every year. State
Marching Band Championships continue to be held in alternating years. For
conferences on non-state years the Area Championships would be held on the
Saturday immediately preceding the State Championships."

"RATIONALE: This event would create an exciting annual platform for our marching band
students and the UIL brand would do nothing but validate its significance. We believe it
would resonate with our communities and provide an annual event for our campus and
district leadership to anticipate. The contest would culminate with a full band retreat,
announcement of placements, championship trophies or medals, etc. Many, if not most,
bands are going to year-end contests already, why not give these bands the opportunity to
compete through UIL?
This proposal is important because of the merit so many place in UIL-sanctioned events.
Without an annual post-region level of competition we are concerned that UIL marching
band events could become secondary in importance to other contests. The high standard
of musical excellence in the state of Texas has been established through the guidance
of the UIL Music. However, the most accessible and consistent performance outlet
will guide the decisions made in the band halls throughout the state. Without an annual
end-of-season evaluation that allows for more in-depth feedback and celebration of our
students’ efforts, non-UIL events will gain more influence in the decisions that directly
affect our students. The more opportunities all students have to showcase the incredible
depth, diversity, and level of performance here in Texas, the more support we will all enjoy.
The UIL should be the platform for this showcase."

I know we’re focusing on BOA participation but how will this affect USBands? They’re not as big as BOA but they have contests like Spring and Austin the same weekends as SA that are alternatives.

This every year area will take away some of their already smaller pool of bands that attend these events especially considering the bands attending are already looking for an alternative to an end season contest that isn’t SA.

We saw bands like PSJA make the trek up to Austin for one of their shows, with more local area options they don’t have as much motivation for this anymore

Although there is the chance that bands still head to USBands for more competition there’s also the fact bands might think their areas are competitive enough and might cost less travel wise.

USBands depending on the dates of their later season Texan shows could see a big drop in enrollment.

Also as far as changes to the state contest itself, I mentioned this on the other thread as well, but there is a proposed change to the 6A State Marching Contest in creating separate divisions, similar to what we see in the football currently. From the UIL Music Advisory Committee Meeting minutes this past July:

NEW PROPOSAL

A discussion item was brought forward from the Region 13 band division for UIL to

create a Division I and Division II state marching band contest in 6A. This item will be

included in the Spring 2020 agenda for all regions to discuss. 

Would Division I and Division II be based on the size of the schools? However they propose doing it, I really don't think this is a good idea.

I know we’re focusing on BOA participation but how will this affect USBands? They’re not as big as BOA but they have contests like Spring and Austin the same weekends as SA that are alternatives.

This every year area will take away some of their already smaller pool of bands that attend these events especially considering the bands attending are already looking for an alternative to an end season contest that isn’t SA.

We saw bands like PSJA make the trek up to Austin for one of their shows, with more local area options they don’t have as much motivation for this anymore

Although there is the chance that bands still head to USBands for more competition there’s also the fact bands might think their areas are competitive enough and might cost less travel wise.

USBands depending on the dates of their later season Texan shows could see a big drop in enrollment.

I fully believe this’ll kill USBands in Texas on the area weekends. Almost all bands that go to USBands at that time do it as a substitute for area as their end of the year championship.

I fully believe this’ll kill USBands in Texas on the area weekends. Almost all bands that go to USBands at that time do it as a substitute for area as their end of the year championship.

I can’t help but feel for USBands. Just goes to show UIL is doing really anything to keep a full grasp on Marching Band in Texas

I can’t help but feel for USBands. Just goes to show UIL is doing really anything to keep a full grasp on Marching Band in Texas

I don't think UIL is doing this in an attempt to hurt BOA or USBands and keep a full grasp, this was just something the majority of directors ended up wanting. Besides, I don't think I could name a single band program in Texas that would actually RATHER go to USBands instead of Area... There's a reason USBands isn't all that popular.

I don't think UIL is doing this in an attempt to hurt BOA or USBands and keep a full grasp, this was just something the majority of directors ended up wanting. Besides, I don't think I could name a single band program in Texas that would actually RATHER go to USBands instead of Area... There's a reason USBands isn't all that popular.

correct - I know that this was approved by a number of directors that are regular participants in BOA SA - I think that it will be up to BOA to step up and adjust. depending on the timelines this could impact grand nats as well and may eliminate the ability for Texas bands to attend

Could we perhaps see this result in more contests during the week? UIL already hosts some region contests and state during the school day, perhaps the off year area contests could be during the school week also? There is the huge issue with UIL not wanting kids to miss too much school, but it's just a thought. Mineola hosts an invitational l every Columbus day, my school usually goes despite that we don't get that day off, and it's a MASSIVE contest, so perhaps invitationals like Vista Ridge or TMC could benefit from using dates like this?

Could we perhaps see this result in more contests during the week? UIL already hosts some region contests and state during the school day, perhaps the off year area contests could be during the school week also? There is the huge issue with UIL not wanting kids to miss too much school, but it's just a thought. Mineola hosts an invitational l every Columbus day, my school usually goes despite that we don't get that day off, and it's a MASSIVE contest, so perhaps invitationals like Vista Ridge or TMC could benefit from using dates like this?

I would love it if all UIL region happens during the school week. Then you could have on-year Area during the typical region date, off-year during the typical Area date, and BOA and USSBA can have their normal late year contests in peace.

I would love it if all UIL region happens during the school week. Then you could have on-year Area during the typical region date, off-year during the typical Area date, and BOA and USSBA can have their normal late year contests in peace.

This is going to be a problem for schools like Westwood that simply don't like taking time during the week for competitions.  They already get flack from parents about doing BOA San Antonio on Fridays.  

This is going to be a problem for schools like Westwood that simply don't like taking time during the week for competitions.  They already get flack from parents about doing BOA San Antonio on Fridays.  

and as a program that hosts both UIL Region and Area, as well as BOA SA - scheduling these events during the week impact the ability to get enough volunteers to cover the event. 

and as a program that hosts both UIL Region and Area, as well as BOA SA - scheduling these events during the week impact the ability to get enough volunteers to cover the event.

Hearing these perspectives as a performer who grew accustomed to Tuesday Region contests (Region 23 - W Houston/Katy), it’s interesting trying to dissect the problem. Legacy Stadium hosts pretty much everything possible in the area nowadays: Region 23, Area I/E, BOA Houston, Katy Marching Festival; and Region is on Tuesdays.

Either there’s been an insufficient amount of volunteers year after year and I just never knew about it (This would include back when Region 23 was held at Rhodes Stadium), or our community grew accustomed to Tuesday Region and made accommodations to volunteer and make it work.

Maybe Katy HS being so close to Legacy Stadium is a factor that helps a lot.