144 replies to this topic

#121 the terminator

the terminator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 04:30 AM

You’re right tho. Seeing as how Leander has always been a 3A band as far as BOA is concerned, it was a bit ridiculous that we were actually (albeit barely) a 6A high school. We SHOULD be 5A no doubt. I’m just going to miss competing against the (much) bigger dogs and yet easily proving that we deserve to be there. 5th place last year behind VR, FloMo, Vandy and Hebron wasn’t too shabby. ;)

I really will come around. And I know our athletes have to be pumped to get out of this INSANE 6A level of sports. It’s been rough!

When you're just barely above the cutoff it is very difficult to field the numbers against some of the other 6A competition, and as for band with BOA being as big it is when it comes to the top bands, it really doesn't matter the classification because the cream will always rise to the top, and like Mike said now we get to have a real fun fight for the gold medal in 2021 against Cedar Park.

I teach in Little Elm now, and I know it's already going to be brutal next year for their athletics team especially football. I'm imagining there's a good chance they put us with perennial state contenders Southlake Carroll and Denton Guyer, or they ship us out with the Plano mega schools, Prosper, and Allen. Both scenarios would be just dreadful for LE though.

#122 the terminator

the terminator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 04:35 AM

Yep. Although I don't think it's 100 percent set in stone this time around. Apparently McAllen ISD is disputing the numbers the UIL announced for their schools, including three 6A schools that would drop into 5A according to the district's numbers (somewhat relatedly, the UIL doubled Rio Vista's numbers somehow from 219 to 438, so there actually might be something to this). So, if those schools drop to where they belong and the UIL keeps the same number of schools for 6A, the next three schools to move up would be Corpus Christi Veterans Memorial, Austin Anderson and Dallas Highland Park.

According to the Dallas Morning News, the UIL initially said they would not change the cutoff numbers, but then backtracked to say that they aren't ruling that out. The folks over at 6A Texas Football doubt the UIL will bump up HP, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Source: https://www.dallasne...next-two-years/

That would be the ultimate of ironies if UIL was wrong, and HP gets moved up as the last school after-the-fact. 

#123 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 04 December 2019 - 03:43 PM

When you're just barely above the cutoff it is very difficult to field the numbers against some of the other 6A competition, and as for band with BOA being as big it is when it comes to the top bands, it really doesn't matter the classification because the cream will always rise to the top, and like Mike said now we get to have a real fun fight for the gold medal in 2021 against Cedar Park.

I teach in Little Elm now, and I know it's already going to be brutal next year for their athletics team especially football. I'm imagining there's a good chance they put us with perennial state contenders Southlake Carroll and Denton Guyer, or they ship us out with the Plano mega schools, Prosper, and Allen. Both scenarios would be just dreadful for LE though.

I hear ya.  The first time we had to play 6A state champs Lake Travis HS back in 2016 was ROUGH!!!!

Each day is a gift. That’s why it’s called “the present.”

#124 jetliner

jetliner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 04:44 PM

Yep. Although I don't think it's 100 percent set in stone this time around. Apparently McAllen ISD is disputing the numbers the UIL announced for their schools, including three 6A schools that would drop into 5A according to the district's numbers (somewhat relatedly, the UIL doubled Rio Vista's numbers somehow from 219 to 438, so there actually might be something to this). So, if those schools drop to where they belong and the UIL keeps the same number of schools for 6A, the next three schools to move up would be Corpus Christi Veterans Memorial, Austin Anderson and Dallas Highland Park.

According to the Dallas Morning News, the UIL initially said they would not change the cutoff numbers, but then backtracked to say that they aren't ruling that out. The folks over at 6A Texas Football doubt the UIL will bump up HP, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Wouldn't Mansfield Legacy be the third to go up instead of CC VM?

#125 ViewFromTheBox

ViewFromTheBox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationMansfield, TX

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:25 PM

Wouldn't Mansfield Legacy be the third to go up instead of CC VM?

Huh, I think we might have found another discrepancy between reported numbers and the UIL numbers. Looks like VM reported 2218 in October (based off of this list) but the UIL has them at 2109. Which means it would be Anderson, HP and Legacy.

#126 ATXBandNerd

ATXBandNerd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:52 PM

I think McAllen reported the WRONG numbers.  Which, as a native PSJA person, makes perfect sense.  McAllen was always about "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!" ;)

#127 Percplayer19

Percplayer19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 05:35 PM

Richland will be returning to 5A which for football will be great, at the last realignment we where over the 5A cutoff due to a reporting error by just a few but sorry charlie we had to stay in 6A. Looking forward to 5A state in 2021.

#128 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:34 PM

Richland will be returning to 5A which for football will be great, at the last realignment we where over the 5A cutoff due to a reporting error by just a few but sorry charlie we had to stay in 6A. Looking forward to 5A state in 2021.

See y’all there!

#129 bandtingz

bandtingz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 10 December 2019 - 01:57 AM

Good for Richland. They improved so much two years ago upon making state finals. I hope the move to 5A will bring this band back into contention for a state medal and (fingers crossed) a surge back into BOA San Antonio Finals (much like they did earlier in the decade).

Cedar Park Band

2019: Icarus: After The Fall

#130 J-Mike16

J-Mike16

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationLumberton Texas

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:49 PM

So there was an update for the alignments. Don't know about any other schools but Lumberton is back in 4A!

#131 ViewFromTheBox

ViewFromTheBox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationMansfield, TX

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:55 PM

Alignment numbers update: https://www.uiltexas...ment-figures-fo

Looks like the changes are just for 4A and 5A. It's now 1230 – 2219 for 5A and 515 – 1229 for 4A.

#132 cpb161

cpb161

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 03:07 AM

Alignment numbers update: https://www.uiltexas...ment-figures-fo

Looks like the changes are just for 4A and 5A. It's now 1230 – 2219 for 5A and 515 – 1229 for 4A.

This was likely to account for the 3 McAllen schools dropping to 5A, needed to remove 3 schools out of 5A now due to the 3 McAllen ones being added, this change drops Lumberton, Terrell, and Alice, 3 schools exactly. It also put Corpus Christi Miller under the cutoff, but it appears CCISD opted them back up to 5A, but I believe opt ups don't affect band, like how South Garland is 6A for athletics but 5A for band. Personally, I don't like this change, if you need to remove 3 schools from 5A because 3 dropped down from 6A... you should move 3 schools up TO 6A, but in UIL's defense, this is a MUCH less major change than lowering the 6A cutoff and sending up schools like Highland Park and Austin Anderson, so it probably was for the best to cause less of an uproar.

#133 LostChoirGuy

LostChoirGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationProvo, Utah

Posted 16 December 2019 - 04:15 AM

POPULAR

This was likely to account for the 3 McAllen schools dropping to 5A, needed to remove 3 schools out of 5A now due to the 3 McAllen ones being added, this change drops Lumberton, Terrell, and Alice, 3 schools exactly. It also put Corpus Christi Miller under the cutoff, but it appears CCISD opted them back up to 5A, but I believe opt ups don't affect band, like how South Garland is 6A for athletics but 5A for band. Personally, I don't like this change, if you need to remove 3 schools from 5A because 3 dropped down from 6A... you should move 3 schools up TO 6A, but in UIL's defense, this is a MUCH less major change than lowering the 6A cutoff and sending up schools like Highland Park and Austin Anderson, so it probably was for the best to cause less of an uproar.

Sounds to me like UIL has been doing everything they can to keep Highland Park out of 6A, which seems like a bit of a conspiracy to me.

#134 AllenBandDad

AllenBandDad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 06:43 PM

Sounds to me like UIL has been doing everything they can to keep Highland Park out of 6A, which seems like a bit of a conspiracy to me.

Yep.  The UIL broke with their precedent of always maxing out 6A at 250 schools plus opt ups.  They originally had it at 248, which conveniently kept Highland Park out of 6A.  Then when the McAllen schools were corrected, they set 6A to 245, again seemingly to keep HP out of 6A.  

#135 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 17 December 2019 - 03:26 AM

Someone tell me why on earth UIL wants to keep HP out of 6A? I don’t get it.

#136 cpb161

cpb161

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 03:27 AM

Someone tell me why on earth UIL wants to keep HP out of 6A? I don’t get it.

It's been a conspiracy for the longest time that HP somehow bribes people or something along the lines of that to make sure UIL keeps them in 5A, it's a running joke that if you're smaller than HP, you're gonna be fine and shouldn't move up.

I'm not here to spread rumors though, and don't think it's real. I think it's just completely reasonable to assume UIL wanted to lessen the reactions to changing the cutoffs, lessening the 6A cutoff would've stirred up way more people, not to mention 4A is consistently the smallest class besides 1A, so might as well give them a couple more schools to fill things out. Nobody they dropped down will make a major competitive difference in basically any activity anyway, besides Lumberton who is solid at band and makes state in 4A and also made it their last time in 5A.

#137 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 17 December 2019 - 03:30 AM

That’s bizarre for sure.

I wonder if UIL conspired to move Leander down to 5A? :lol:

I’m joking, mods. Don’t flame me!

#138 ATXBandNerd

ATXBandNerd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 04:16 PM

That’s bizarre for sure.

I wonder if UIL conspired to move Leander down to 5A? :lol:

I’m joking, mods. Don’t flame me!

Girl I thought you would like that!  Now Leander has a fighting chance in football!

13-6A is gonna be interesting. I met with the track coaches last night. Depending what happens with Anderson, there is a genuine concern that Lake Travis may move north into 13-6A.  THIS MOM HOPES NOT

#139 Jeffrey L. Gorman

Jeffrey L. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 04:53 PM

It's been a conspiracy for the longest time that HP somehow bribes people or something along the lines of that to make sure UIL keeps them in 5A, it's a running joke that if you're smaller than HP, you're gonna be fine and shouldn't move up.

I'm not here to spread rumors though, and don't think it's real. I think it's just completely reasonable to assume UIL wanted to lessen the reactions to changing the cutoffs, lessening the 6A cutoff would've stirred up way more people, not to mention 4A is consistently the smallest class besides 1A, so might as well give them a couple more schools to fill things out. Nobody they dropped down will make a major competitive difference in basically any activity anyway, besides Lumberton who is solid at band and makes state in 4A and also made it their last time in 5A.

It seems that many folks, especially those in other School systems have questions about Highland Park. Remember this, they last were in 6A in 2014.  They always seem to come in just under the 6A enrollments. Obiviously they have found a way to do this on a frequent basis.

#140 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 19 December 2019 - 11:27 PM

Come on do we really think this is intentional? Leander moves up and down every so often and nobody is crying foul over that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users