Katy Marching Festival 2019

• 2 weeks later...

Due to my fall break lying on this weekend, I’ll actually be able to attend this one in person! Really excited to see some of these bands alongside the Katy schools.

Shot-in-the-Dark top 10 (probably completely wrong):

1. Tomball Memorial

2. Bridgeland

3. Friendswood

4. Westfield

5. Shadow Creek

6. Magnolia

7. Galena

8. Bryan

9. Brenham

10. Tomball

Finals Results.

Katy ISD Champion (Tompkins vs Seven Lakes) : SEVEN LAKES!! Let’s go!!

9th place: 72.7 - Galena Park

8th place: 74.15 - Magnolia

7th place: 74.4 - Shadow Creek

6th place: 76.6 - Tomball Memorial

5th place: 78.65 - Foster

4th place: 79.9 - Tomball

3rd place: 81.05 - Bridgeland

2nd place: 81.6 - Westfield

1st place: 82.25 - Friendswood

Well done to all!!!

Retrospective on most of the the bands I saw today:

Paetow: This band just needs time to grow; then, they can really find their identity as a band program. Their sound is excellent and very well blended for their size, and their show is quite entertaining! Really looking forward to seeing how they do at BOA SA.

Tompkins: So proud of this group! A massive improvement in show design over last year, and they’re performing at a much higher level too. I didn’t catch their BOA Houston performance but after seeing them today, I dig that 11th place spot for them. I suggest next year they have a breakout year; they should venture to McAllen to spur some early-season momentum, in my opinion.

Westfield: One of, if not the most, fun shows of the night in my opinion. Incredibly powerful sounds that can definitely be refined over time. Well deserved second place, and it’s incredible seeing how well they’re doing given their adversities they’ve had to face in the past decade with finding their identity as a program.

Tomball Memorial: surprised to see them placed so low at finals. I saw them in prelims and thought they were quite clean, especially musically. Casually speaking, just work on energy and visual cleanliness, and they’ve got an excellent product to showcase throughout the season!

Friendswood: An overall very well rounded group. Great, but not perfect, in almost every aspect of the show. Huge congratulations to their Championship title!

Bridgeland: Bridgeland = Big. Big sound, Big forms, Big motion, Big band. Well deserved third place and cannot wait to see where they go from here. They have great leadership and will only get better.

Katy: Bonus points for Pictures at an Exhibition music ~ Brings me back to my 2016 Art of Music days! Overall a well rounded show; just work on musical balance and visual blending and this program will be doing some good stuff this season!

Cinco Ranch: Cinco Ranch keeps getting better. Their show design is improving by the year, and these performers are really taking advantage of it to show off their technique and volume! This band can pump out some sound! They just need to work on cleanliness, but once they figure it out (they will), then I think we will see this program improve very fast. If Tompkins is the next Katy ISD breakout band, then Cinco Ranch will be the one after them, in my opinion.

JET: JET keeps doing their thing. Cleanliness = effect. They will keep getting rewarded for it. Really good stuff.

Seven Lakes: My alma mater, and I think these guys will more than rebound from their placement at BOA Houston last week. Talking with current students at 7L, they agree that their performances tonight were definitely a great improvement over the one last week, and they seem excited. They are improving fast, and will make a splash at Waco next week! ...

... OK, let me indulge on that 7L closer. I love love love love it. I’ve always wanted to see Mackey’s Wine Dark Sea Mvmt 3 incorporated into a marching show in the Houston area, and the fact that 7L out of all bands decided to give it a shot (and arrange it brilliantly) makes me so happy!

> Also, shoutout to my fellow 7L Trombone soloist!

Also, for anyone interested about Tompkins and 7L, their numbers will be impacted by a new Jordan HS, opening next year.

The impacted student demographics seem to be 70~75% Tompkins and 25~30% Seven Lakes.

We’ll see how this new school will impact numbers in the two above programs. On the bright side, we might have a new emerging band from the Houston area making a splash on the scene! With good staffing, they’ll probably be the next Bridgeland, or more. The student body that the new school draws from is well trained and talented. I’m definitely going to be watching out for this new program starting next year!

As a Tomball Memorial Alumni I made the trip to watch them perform and the results were not an accurate reflection of how they performed. Fans were extremely upset afterwards and directors were not pleased. This is the lowest we’ve placed in a finals competition and no one was pleased. Time to get back to work and show them we mean business!

Also, for anyone interested about Tompkins and 7L, their numbers will be impacted by a new Jordan HS, opening next year.

The impacted student demographics seem to be 70~75% Tompkins and 25~30% Seven Lakes.

We’ll see how this new school will impact numbers in the two above programs. On the bright side, we might have a new emerging band from the Houston area making a splash on the scene! With good staffing, they’ll probably be the next Bridgeland, or more. The student body that the new school draws from is well trained and talented. I’m definitely going to be watching out for this new program starting next year!

we are losing majority of the freshman next year :(

Finals Results.

Well done to all!!!

Tompkins 85.00

7Lakes 86.75

Finals Results.

Well done to all!!!

Foster with a 2 point lead on 6A Tomball Memorial bodes well for them in Area E. It's not a very dense field, but only 2 bands will more than likely move on to state and one of those thoughts will easily go to Friendswood.

• 2 weeks later...