I didn't attend the contest, but these are the top 3 placements

1. Roma

2. Pioneer

3. Sharyland

I was there so here is what I mainly took away from the competition:

Roma is absolutely ready to avenge their successful yet disappointing 2017 stage year, making sure there is no doubt they belong in state finals. At this rate, they may even break into the top half of finals when it is all said and done, depending on whether or not they can maintain this momentum and consistency.

Pioneer has changed a lot of their show since we last saw them in BOA McAllen. Their musicality has definitely been more refined, with them achieving a greater contrast between styles, dynamics, and moments. They have also added a lot of content visually, attempting to differentiate the tone between movements and portray a specific message to the audience and ultimately the judges. It did seem as if they did not have such a successful run as they usually do, with something seeming off. Maybe the newness of the changes affecting their performance, although I did notice miscommunication within the beginning of their finals run which could have been a factor as well. Still consider them as a contender for state finals. Pioneer has been able to consistently come back in a great way after “disappointing” results by their incredibly high standards.

Sharyland is seemingly performing as if they have a chip on their shoulder, trying to re-establish themselves as a newsworthy and serious contender in area G after some shaky recent years. I still wouldn’t put them in Roma and Pioneer’s category of Powerhouse bands, especially considering pioneer has had probably one of their worse runs of the season and sharyland having their best and still coming up short, but if they continue this momentum into upcoming years I’m sure they will make their way into the conversation.

My thoughts on the competition as a whole:

The competition wasn’t run well at all, which is scary considering this is the venue where Area will be taking place. The announcing was nowhere near professional, spoiling that Roma made finals by accident during prelims results at one point. And I would also say that the judging was considerably off. With Roma most certainly sweeping the finals captions, only for that not to be the case, although that’s just my opinion.

Hopefully Weslaco ISD figures something out. No disrespect to WISD, but if Area is run like this past competition, it is going to be rough.

Caption awards for finals vs My opinion

Best Music: Roma | Roma

Best Visual: Roma | Roma

Best GE: Sharyland | Roma/Pioneer (tie)

Best Percussion: Rio Grande | Roma

Best Color Gaurd: Sharyland | Roma/Pioneer (tie)

Mission pre pigskin thoughts:

Roma continues to dominate getting 1st.

Sharyland makes a big leap getting 2nd, could be a really good year depending on if they can continue their momentum. They for sure don’t want to be forgotten as an established band. Again, performing like they have a chip on their shoulder, hungry to prove their worth.

Pioneer, not to be harsh, but disappointing in 3rd. Just seemed like a lack of focus, almost as if they are taking things for granted. That was the big question. Can they continue having that hunger and drive after years of constant success? Pre pigskin, apparently not. Let’s hope that changes, and changes fast considering it is the week of pigskin and the start of their hopes of state finals. No more chances to mess up.

Well run overall, as a competition, step up from weslaco.

Mission pre pigskin thoughts:

Roma continues to dominate getting 1st.

Sharyland makes a big leap getting 2nd, could be a really good year depending on if they can continue their momentum. They for sure don’t want to be forgotten as an established band. Again, performing like they have a chip on their shoulder, hungry to prove their worth.

Pioneer, not to be harsh, but disappointing in 3rd. Just seemed like a lack of focus, almost as if they are taking things for granted. That was the big question. Can they continue having that hunger and drive after years of constant success? Pre pigskin, apparently not. Let’s hope that changes, and changes fast considering it is the week of pigskin and the start of their hopes of state finals. No more chances to mess up.

Well run overall, as a competition, step up from weslaco.

Just went to the SnakeSkin Classic game last night between pioneer and sharyland. Sharyland still solid marching program this year. Pioneer proved me wrong as of last night, great performance. Pioneer won the game, and seeming half time in my opinion. Looking forward to seeing both bands keep this up up until the end. And...

IT’S PIGSKIN DAY!!!!!

Goodluck to all bands. It starts today.

Any predictions for the top 10 bands to make it into finals?

Finals:

*Pioneer

*Sharyland

*Lopez

*Rio Grande

*Victoria West

Brownsville Veterans Memorial

Gregory-Portland

Brownsville Pace

CC Richard King

Laredo Martin

*State Prediction

If Roma gets the appeal, then I would put them to make state. If not, then we are looking at 3 new schools to make Area Finals and 1 new school to make State. This is based off of the results of the 2017 area marching contest. This is only my prediction, I have only seen 3 of these shows so anything can happen. Best of luck to all the bands competing this weekend.

Finals:

*Pioneer

*Sharyland

*Lopez

*Rio Grande

*Victoria West

Brownsville Veterans Memorial

Gregory-Portland

Brownsville Pace

CC Richard King

Laredo Martin

*State Prediction

If Roma gets the appeal, then I would put them to make state. If not, then we are looking at 3 new schools to make Area Finals and 1 new school to make State. This is based off of the results of the 2017 area marching contest. This is only my prediction, I have only seen 3 of these shows so anything can happen. Best of luck to all the bands competing this weekend.

Thank you trying to see some predictions and relate with my list. I cant wait to see what happens on Saturday!!!

Ugh!  Poor Roma.

I'm so old I remember when Roma didn't march a band at Pigskin.

I'm so old that all of the Valley bands marched at McHi stadium.  Pigskin started at noon with PSJA 9th grade.  YES THAT WAS AGES AGO.

I remember watching Edinburg marching with the 007..and turning it around. AMAZING.

I might live and love Austin now, but the Valley will always be home to me.

I hope Roma wins their appeal.  

CLARIFYING STATEMENT:

Roma is appealing the UIL’s decision/rating due to a timing infraction at Region Contest this past weekend. The UIL’s decision will be made later today. All facts/evidence will be reviewed and UIL will reach a decision. Because this is a fluid and sensitive situation, we ask that this conversation be kept civil and professional. Any negative claims without evidence will be deleted after I finish my lunches. Yes, plural.

Thank you.

Where will the Roma announcement be made?

Having a school from the Corpus area advance would be neat. Don't recall the last time that happened. 

I think the last time a Corpus area school that advanced to state was Calallen back in either 2013 or 2011. However Sharyland and Lopez were 6A (former 5A). Sharyland Pioneer didn’t exist back then.