1. Oak Ridge

2. Brazoswood

3. North Shore

Music: North Shore

Visual: Oak Ridge

GE: North Shore/Brazoswood (tie)

Percussion: Klein Cain

Auxiliary: Klein Cain

And wow! College Park not in top half?? I haven’t seen their show this year but based on how successful they’ve been these past few years, this is shocking.

They just got their closer drill this week, so they haven’t had as much of an opportunity to clean as most.

1 - 82.75 Oak Ridge

2 - 80.50 Brazoswood

3 - 79.20 North Shore

4 - 77.90 Spring

5 - 76.85 Pasadena Memorial

6 - 76.85 Porter tie broken by GE

7 - 76.40 Klein Oak

8 - 76.05 Klein Collins

9 - 73.95 College Park

10 - 73.50 Willis

11 - 72.15 Dickinson

Outstanding Music, Visual, General Effect, and Percussion: Oak Ridge

Outstanding Guard: Klein Collins

Edited on my desktop to get better formatting. 

Edited by TWHSParent

No numbers, but I remember the top 7

1. Oak Ridge

2. Brazoswood

3. North Shore

4. Spring

5. Pasadena Memorial

6. Porter (tied Pasadena, broken by highest GE)

7. Klein Oak

(It’s all shaky after this but here’s what I remember)

8. Klein Collins

9. College Park

10. Willis

11. Dickinson

Oak Ridge swept captions except auxiliary, which went to Klein Oak

1. Oak Ridge

2. Brazoswood

3. North Shore

4. Spring

5. Pasadena Memorial

6. Porter

7. Klein Oak

8. Klein Collins

9. College Park

10. Willis

11. Dickinson

GE: Oak Ridge

Music: Oak Ridge

Percussion: Oak Ridge

Auxiliary: Klein Collins

Oak Ridge had a solid 2 point gap above Brazoswood with an 82.something and a majority of the bands in finals scored in the mid-upper 70s.

Since I was able to see the scores as they came in I couldn't post much about the bands today. Just want to say everyone did a great job. We had 3 sets of ties in prelims, including for 10th, and another tie in finals. It was a pretty tight contest with less than 10 points between 1st and 10th.

If my memory serves me well...

1. Oak Ridge

2. Brazoswood

3. North Shore

4. Spring

5. Porter

6. Klein Oak

7. Pasadena Memorial

8. Klein Collins

9. College Park

10. Willis

11. Dickinson

GE: Oak Ridge

Music: Oak Ridge

Percussion: Oak Ridge

Auxiliary: Klein Collins

5-7 is a bit hazy, but the rest I'm fairly confident about.

Oak Ridge had a solid 2 point gap above Brazoswood with an 82.something and a majority of the bands in finals scored in the mid-upper 70s.

Pasadena Memorial went 5th

My friend from Westfield back in the day, who still lives in Houston and works with bands, live-streamed the entire finals for me! (I'm just that special. Oh, and I recorded a few on my laptop. B) ) I think the scores might be a tad low, but not too far off. Oak Ridge was definitely my favorite. They just had that combination of performance polish and effect that the other groups didn't have. I love how they played with Ode to Joy in their closer arrangement. Interesting stuff. I really liked Brazoswood's show as well. The way they combined Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet with The Cure's Lovesong was very interesting. North Shore was excellent, too. Great sounding band. The bird theme was a little bit familiar, but they did a great job with it. I caught College Park as well. I wasn't completely surprised when I heard earlier that they had placed in the bottom half here, based on that video I saw earlier in the season. The show is considerably better now, but they still have a lot of cleaning to do. I think they probably know that.

The highlight of the event was obviously that exhibition performance by TWHS. Energy, energy, energy, which I didn't get as much of watching the BOA Houston performance online. And the show is so utterly delightful. What a difference those props make when they turn around. Those purplish, dusky colors behind the block letters are so beautiful, and they complement the guard's dresses very well. The ballad hit tonight was electrifying, and just gorgeous to look at. This is quickly becoming my favorite show out of Texas this year. I can state with some confidence now that it's the best-written program Vanderkolff has given this group since at least 2016 and probably 2013. Vanderkolff is a legendary visual designer, but his drill writing isn't frequently attractive, which is a quality that I think Gaines' drill, for example, just about always has. This year, I think the program he has written for TWHS is just so much nicer to look at than usual, while retaining a good sense of musicality. Anyway, how high the show places will depend on how clean they can get it. A few criticisms: I still think the drill at the end of the opener needs to be reworked (not necessarily completely rewritten). The music is so frantic, so intricate, that the drill really needs to match it a bit better, particularly from the brass block that jazz runs across the field. The flag work at that part of the show is also still a bit messy, and the trombonist sounds out of breath every time. I like the ending drill, but the very end needs to have more visual punch. I would recommend bringing the props up to the company front, very close behind the band. Have the band interact with them in some way, and maybe throw in a back field flag feature. Clarinet solo in the late section still needs work. Think calmer, warmer air. There's actually a lot of dead space musically in that clownish movement that I think could be filled with something. What? I'm not sure. Oh, and add another quick and easy city-ish prop, just to give the show even more of a sense of place.

Texas needs you. Move down here!!! :)