No one has ever accused the UIL of always doing the smart thing.  But you can rest assured that they will make sure they are in charge and the top dog when it comes to school competition.  It would be interesting to see if this happened, would it drive the formation of independent high school level marching bands that would compete in BOA.  Kind of like club sports (soccer, etc.),  

Yeah, but again, it's not gonna happen.

BOA needs to tread lightly and be as deferential as possible to the UIL.  Ultimately, the vast majority of school districts will choose UIL over BOA if forced to choose.  If the UIL wanted to go full bore, they could institute the "no outside league" rule for band, and make disqualification for ALL UIL band event the consequence (concert, sight reading, and solo & ensemble).  Keep in mind that band directors' resumes can be made or broken by the scores their bands have received at UIL events.  If a school decided to forgo UIL in favor of BOA (if a choice was forced), the directors at that school could be seriously limiting their career prospects.

just my thoughts - that and $10 will get you some overpriced coffee at starbucks, but - keep in mind that as it has been discussed on other threads over the years. UIL rules are voted on and approved by the members (band directors) - so this change has their blessing. there is a record number of programs that are scheduled to attend BOA SA this year - so it is very popular choice for Texas bands, why would they do something that would destroy that event?

if UIL decided to do this in early November at the same time that BOA SA takes place, it would likely be in the dome. the dome is owned by the City of San Antonio and would likely give booking preference to a state body like UIL. will BOA find another location (no dome?) and compete against UIL? do they give up one of the largest events of the season? or do they move the event to follow UIL state and have a grand nats south?

I know we have discussed this many times and many disagree, but maybe this may be an overall win. now their is a elevated contest that will still be well attended by Texas Bands - many who may never get a chance to go to GNats. BOASA is bigger than GNats this year - would this make it even bigger? who knows - again just my thoughts - I welcome the thoughts of others

just my thoughts - that and $10 will get you some overpriced coffee at starbucks, but - keep in mind that as it has been discussed on other threads over the years. UIL rules are voted on and approved by the members (band directors) - so this change has their blessing. there is a record number of programs that are scheduled to attend BOA SA this year - so it is very popular choice for Texas bands, why would they do something that would destroy that event?

if UIL decided to do this in early November at the same time that BOA SA takes place, it would likely be in the dome. the dome is owned by the City of San Antonio and would likely give booking preference to a state body like UIL. will BOA find another location (no dome?) and compete against UIL? do they give up one of the largest events of the season? or do they move the event to follow UIL state and have a grand nats south?

I know we have discussed this many times and many disagree, but maybe this may be an overall win. now their is a elevated contest that will still be well attended by Texas Bands - many who may never get a chance to go to GNats. BOASA is bigger than GNats this year - would this make it even bigger? who knows - again just my thoughts - I welcome the thoughts of others

There would be no need to book the Alamodome for an Area contest.  It's just not big enough.

BOA-SA is a massive event.  No way would the City of San Antonio give up that event in the Dome for an Area contest.  If nothing else, the Chamber of Commerce would go ape****.  BOA-SA sells a lot of hotel rooms in addition to all that goes on at the Dome.

Definitely both are great points to consider! I love the idea of BOA changing the date and hosting a GN South instead of competing against UIL in the same weekend. The only Issue I could see is if a UTSA football game could possibly throw a wrench in the use of the Alamodome later in November.

I ultimately think that BOA would choose not to interfere with UIL. Texas is too important to them.

Sorry I'm a little late to the game. All of the aforementioned is simultaneously fascinating and infuriating. I have lots of questions, with the biggest of all being -- where in the %&!$ did this idea even come from. I have memories in high school marching band of our directors bringing in big name conservative, old-school UIL clinicians and equally prominent progressive BOA voices who were the antitheses of the old dogs. Both sides respected and always recognized the need/value of the other's perspective. So.. it's a jarring read, all of it