The Danpodcast - Off-Season Prep

"Flapping my arms around hoping the ensemble doesn't fall apart." LOL

We are constantly going to the elementary schools around the district and talking to even the students as young as kinder and showing them what it's like to be in band and showing them how it's not scary or weird to play an instrument. We have fun with the kids and teach them in the process. We also hold pep rallies all the time at the middle schools and help show the middle school kids how much fun they can really start having when they go to high school. It definitely has helped with commitment and retention numbers and the overall quality of the ensemble has grown over the years in part because of the community outreach. 

"Actually call somebody on the telephone.... EEEEEK!!!!"  Lol. You are hilarious. That's 2800 papers by the way :)

Speaking of printing papers, by the way, I just so happen to be one of the new band librarians for this upcoming season. It was definitely a lot of fun having to make 350 copies for 24 different stand tunes during the last week of the school year. I actually like sitting in the copy room and killing god knows how many trees. It gave me a lot of time to think. I got to spend time thinking about what this upcoming marching season is going to be like. Same thing goes for when I was spending time cleaning up the library earlier this summer. I got to thinking about how much I appreciate being apart of my band program, and how much I would really do for these kids; how much I already have done. I love this program. There has never been a single time that I have said no when the directors are asking me to do something. In fact, I'm constantly asking them what I could do to help. I love the fact that we are like our own little town and how everybody trusts each other (generally). I love how the directors respect the time that they have the students and never hold us longer than they need to. If we have a good rehearsal and get everything they wanted done, they release us early. I love that the students are able to walk around our campus and not have to worry about other student's teasing us because we are in band, how literally almost all of the top 15 students in my class are band kids. I love the commitment to having the most fun we can, whether it be joking around in the stands or Mr. Perkins playing pranks on us (or even throwing a foam ball around with us). I Love the fact that even though he has only been here one year, Mr. Perkins has made such an impact on us that we voted him Most Inspirational for band superlatives (directors aren't supposed to receive any of those awards). 

Once I leave this year I'll really miss being here. I know that our program is in amazing hands and is destined for great things. Band teaches you a lot -- more than just the stereotypical "time management" and dedication/commitment. It teaches you loyalty. Respect. How to win. How to lose. It teaches you things that are indescribable and all you can do is just show it. It shows you what it's like to be a part of something bigger than yourself. It's something that I hope society never loses sight of.

Okay, I'm done spilling my heart. It is pretty crazy programs are now doing just to stay on top. I can remember stories that all of my friends and even my directors have told me of years when they had to reschedule the leadership auditions because none of the students were prepared. Now our program is at a point where a large number of our students take the time to practice during the summer when there only used to be a select few (usually our first chair players). I thought it was awesome the place our ensemble started at last year on the first day of summer band. We already had the base of a good sound as an ensemble, and we had the maturity to rehearse right (at least indoors). I can't wait to see what it's going to be like this year now that we have even more commitment to practicing during the summer. 

And I thought that during the school year student lead sectionals actually falls under the eight hour rule. There have been so many times that I have wanted to see something like that happen but have been told that we can't. Is it okay to do that during the summer at least? 

• 2 weeks later...

And I thought that during the school year student lead sectionals actually falls under the eight hour rule. There have been so many times that I have wanted to see something like that happen but have been told that we can't. Is it okay to do that during the summer at least? 

Students can hold music sectionals (not visual) during the summer, but yes student-led sectionals do count towards the 8 hours because it's too easy of a rule to abuse. It's very easy for a director to say "I can't make you all hold sectionals, but I *highly encourage* y'all to do so".  A lot of student leaders would still feel pressured into doing this out of love for their teacher rather than doing it of their own volition.  It becomes too difficult to pinpoint whose idea it *really* was, and actual abuse of it would be easy to cover-up since so much of it is under the table and not on any public band calendars, thus making it easy for directors to exploit.

I think there was a point where it was allowed though.  Keep in mind the 8-hour rule has gone through several adjustments since the 90s.