The Danpodcast - 11.4.02

The 2002 UIL 5A State Marching Finals Contest was cancelled due to inclement weather and poor field conditions.  Please listen to my first-hand account of one of the craziest marching contests in history and how my rear end literally helped cancel the contest.  Thank you for the support!!!

:55 - What If I Told You….
3:35 - Call Time
4:44 - Warming Up In The Mud
7:18 - The Descent Down The Ramp
9:30 - Chopped And Screwed Field
11:35 - Umbrella Twilight Zone
12:19 - The Show
13:00 - I Fell At State 2002
15:32 - The Run Up The Ramp
17:00 - The Woodlands Taco Tuba
18:26 - The Cancellation
19:06 - How Placements Were Determined
23:45 - Where’s The Video???
26:47 - A Message To The Performers

I was at the contest at Baylor University that day. It had to be among the most miserable days I have ever sat out in or marched in while in High School or College Band. Fortunately, those of you who in later years had the opportunity to march at the Alamodome can thank those Band members who went on the field that Early November Day and convinced the powers that be that we are not CA and cannot guarantee great weather for events.

Congratulations go to the great Duncanville Band that won their last UIL State Marching Championship that day. They were truly worthy of the victory in that cold, rain, sleet and snow. They defeated a very good LD Bell Band that day.  It was a once in a lifetime event to sit through with that weather and I came prepared with a heavy Car Coat and lined boots and gloves and still almost froze.