BOA SA VS GNats -strength of competition

so, as I look through the list of attendees for these 2 events. I am struck by the simple facts as they are presented. not to say "i told you so" - but - Hey, I DID!  Many thought we beat this horse to death.

with 85 bands currently signed up to attend GNats - and 94 signed up for BOA-SA - we have to (cause we have time between now and Sept to kill)  - what is the stronger program?

I know that we have debated it many times over the past 2 years. but lets just jump back into it.

Last year BOA expanded the SR to an expanded field and SA jumped from 64 to 84 participants. they then changed the format of prelim scoring.

Many have debated the addition of a semi's for BOA-SA due to the size. if there is a semi's for GNat's with 85 bands - why not for the 94 that will be in the dome?

It is my understanding that bands can be added to the GN format at this time - but they have to take early, open slots as the confirmed programs as of May 15th have a set prelims time as they are already confirming their travel arrangements.

lots of points to ponder - has BOA SA surpassed GN?

Ready - Set - GO!!!!

also to ponder - while I have not looked into prior years. keep in mind that of the 12 finalists in GN for 2018 - only 4 are scheduled to return. 1st, 2nd, 7th, and 8th place will return.

some bigger routine players that are not coming back are Blue Springs, BA, Tarpon, Wando, Jenks, Dobbs-Bennett , and O'Fallon

with 6 Texas 6A Programs in GN in 2019 - the Eagle could very well come back to Texas

#teamtexas 

the last time a significant amount of Texas bands attended gnats was 2017.

they all rose in placing from SA to Gnats:

• Avon: 4th SA, 3rd GN
  • Marcus: 6th SA, 4th GN
  • Woodlands: 11th SA, 7th GN
  • Round Rock: didn't make finals in SA, 12th in GN

just saying.

Yes, but I was assured by members of the MFA forums that this was due to the extra time for prep and that those bands were "peaking" at GNats.

Yes, but I was assured by members of the MFA forums that this was due to the extra time for prep and that those bands were "peaking" at GNats.

and now there are 6 big programs - not 4 and the break between the 2 is 2 full weeks this year, not 1

should be a great day in Indy

the last time a significant amount of Texas bands attended gnats was 2017.

they all rose in placing from SA to Gnats:

• Avon: 4th SA, 3rd GN
  • Marcus: 6th SA, 4th GN
  • Woodlands: 11th SA, 7th GN
  • Round Rock: didn't make finals in SA, 12th in GN

just saying.

Avon, of course, is not from Texas.

Flower Mound was 6th in SA and 5th at GN in 2017.

Winston Churchill was 21st at SA and 16th in GN in 2017.

Prosper did not attend SA in 2017, and finished 23rd at GN.

In both 2017 and 2018 a band that competed and did not make finals at SA made finals at GN (Round Rock in 2017, Prosper in 2018).

It astonishes me quite a bit that the impression we are all getting from the powerhouse bands that aren't attending GN in 2019 is that they don't want to compete with such a strong TX contingent. People rag on The Woodlands for being the least winningest Grand National Champion, but they go out and compete against the best year in and year out, and have been doing so for many years. That is what makes winning extra special. It saddens me that programs may be that afraid of losing. Why? Are we really that fragile?

Oh, and I'll add big kudos to Avon for coming to TX and giving their all!

It astonishes me quite a bit that the impression we are all getting from the powerhouse bands that aren't attending GN in 2019 is that they don't want to compete with such a strong TX contingent. People rag on The Woodlands for being the least winningest Grand National Champion, but they go out and compete against the best year in and year out, and have been doing so for many years. That is what makes winning extra special. It saddens me that programs may be that afraid of losing. Why? Are we really that fragile?

Like I said on the HornRank forum, we need a best of the best competition where all of the finalists from every regional and super regional around the country are invited to compete against each other the following season in some central location. That would be fantastic.

Like I said on the HornRank forum, we need a best of the best competition where all of the finalists from every regional and super regional around the country are invited to compete against each other the following season in some central location. That would be fantastic.

This...is actually a really great idea.

It fits into an idea I’ve been thinking about on my own that I don’t feel like discussing yet; I’ll discuss it later. (It concerns regional classifications/new regional types).

I’m truly skeptical of anyone other than Carmel winning GN. I have my reasons for thinking that. I hope I’m wrong.

Carmel is losing a few key staff members....I could see any of the Texas crew beating them. For some reason it feels like Vandegrift is going to be the national champs to me. 

Carmel is losing a few key staff members....I could see any of the Texas crew beating them. For some reason it feels like Vandegrift is going to be the national champs to me.

I think they have the potential musically but I’m not sold on Vandy winning it on their very first trip to Indy, and with only a (very gifted) dance team as auxiliary. Carmel and Avon have the top guards AND bands in the nation. It takes both to really knock it out of the park.

Having said that, I hope Vandy brings another Symphony of Silence level show to the field this fall. They will definitely knock some socks off at Grand Nats regardless of whether they win or not!

I think they have the potential musically but I’m not sold on Vandy winning it on their very first trip to Indy, and with only a (very gifted) dance team as auxiliary. Carmel and Avon have the top guards AND bands in the nation. It takes both to really knock it out of the park.

Having said that, I hope Vandy brings another Symphony of Silence level show to the field this fall. They will definitely knock some socks off at Grand Nats regardless of whether they win or not!

with what currently looks like a smaller than normal field at GN - I think the 6 programs that are attending will show what Texas Marching band is all about  - I plan to be there and think CTJ will have an awesome show - but I think there are many in this Texas group that can crowd the top half of the finals - hoping to see the eagle return to Texas in 2019

with what currently looks like a smaller than normal field at GN - I think the 6 programs that are attending will show what Texas Marching band is all about - I plan to be there and think CTJ will have an awesome show - but I think there are many in this Texas group that can crowd the top half of the finals - hoping to see the eagle return to Texas in 2019

CTJ will certainly be a medal contender this season, as will be Hebron, TWHS, Vandy and Leander. Round Rock might even surprise everyone and bring something extra special this year. I would love to see all 6 bands in the top 8 spots with Carmel and Avon, but I’m probably dreaming.

CTJ will certainly be a medal contender this season, as will be Hebron, TWHS, Vandy and Leander. Round Rock might even surprise everyone and bring something extra special this year. I would love to see all 6 bands in the top 8 spots with Carmel and Avon, but I’m probably dreaming.

You’ll get five in the top 8.

I’m truly skeptical of anyone other than Carmel winning GN. I have my reasons for thinking that. I hope I’m wrong.

Voyage to Valhalla has become one of my favorite shows and I wouldn't be surprised if Carmel won again. But the one i'm rooting for the most right now is Hebron. And I believe everyone else also has a pretty good chance of winning as well. I'm going to hate that I won't be there to watch it all go down live.

I would agree. I would think at least a medal or two will go to #teamtexas

The only way that I currently see that #teamtexas does not get at least one medal revolves around William Mason and where they are after their recent upheaval. They made strides last year to where I think they could have made finals in SA (if barely), but that isn't enough. They have to be completely back to their 2015/2016 form. Having said that, I do not think it is likely, but it is possible.

• 2 months later...

I'm really curious what your reasons are in regards to this... any chance of telling what they are?

And not a problem at all if you don't want to... just wondering what they might be.

I'm really curious what your reasons are in regards to this... any chance of telling what they are?

And not a problem at all if you don't want to... just wondering what they might be.

Nahhhh, they’re just my own thoughts about politics of BOA in general and GN specifically and all that. But don’t think for a minute that I don’t believe Carmel deserves all the hoopla that surrounds them. They’re magnificent at what they do for sure. I am just hopeful every band in finals gets a fair judgment in Indy this fall. And I can’t wait to see our Avon friends again.

Nahhhh, they’re just my own thoughts about politics of BOA in general and GN specifically and all that. But don’t think for a minute that I don’t believe Carmel deserves all the hoopla that surrounds them. They’re magnificent at what they do for sure. I am just hopeful every band in finals gets a fair judgment in Indy this fall. And I can’t wait to see our Avon friends again.

I predict at least 1 Texas Band will medal in Indy - hopefully more