#61 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 16 November 2019 - 01:17 PM

We need to do something similar in Texas and not have to travel so far to meet. :lol:
Each day is a gift. That’s why it’s called “the present.”

#62 TWHSParent

TWHSParent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:12 PM

We need to do something similar in Texas and not have to travel so far to meet. :lol:

Completely agree. I really enjoyed meeting everyone.

#63 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:28 PM

Completely agree. I really enjoyed meeting everyone.

It was an absolute pleasure getting to know you this season! And how funny was it that we ended up in the same hotel and on the same plane yesterday when we are both only alumni parents and we live several hundred miles apart. :lol:

#64 TWHSParent

TWHSParent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:25 AM

It was an absolute pleasure getting to know you this season! And how funny was it that we ended up in the same hotel and on the same plane yesterday when we are both only alumni parents and we live several hundred miles apart. :lol:

That was very unexpected! Out of all the hotels and flights, whodathunk?

#65 banddad84

banddad84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • LocationCanyon Lake TX

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:07 PM

O.K.

there are many of us that are band junkies and are here a few times a week (or more) since about July when we start looking for info of who is doing what and we were fortunate enough this your to have 6 Texas bands (all well known bands) attend Grand Nats - so that extended our season another 2 weeks

But what Now????????

there are so many that I met this past week in Indy that have no kids in a program - what now? for me.... I have a freshman and I don't have the same passion for concert band that I have for Marching Season - but I do enjoy it.

I guess this means it is time to focus on fundraising for next year and doing some more concessions ... yeah, that is a party. :P

for those at the gathering last Friday in Indy, - I am working on the follow up conversation with Eric Martin from Friday evening and again on Saturday. Will keep you all posted as that develops.

time to start looking at 2020 and the next Gathering I am thinking one prior to BOA Austin, BOA Houston and BOA San Antonio next year.

Have a Happy Holiday Season

#66 Samuel Culper

Samuel Culper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:35 PM

O.K.

there are many of us that are band junkies and are here a few times a week (or more) since about July when we start looking for info of who is doing what and we were fortunate enough this your to have 6 Texas bands (all well known bands) attend Grand Nats - so that extended our season another 2 weeks

But what Now????????

there are so many that I met this past week in Indy that have no kids in a program - what now? for me.... I have a freshman and I don't have the same passion for concert band that I have for Marching Season - but I do enjoy it.

I guess this means it is time to focus on fundraising for next year and doing some more concessions ... yeah, that is a party. :P

for those at the gathering last Friday in Indy, - I am working on the follow up conversation with Eric Martin from Friday evening and again on Saturday. Will keep you all posted as that develops.

time to start looking at 2020 and the next Gathering I am thinking one prior to BOA Austin, BOA Houston and BOA San Antonio next year.

Some of us are also very interested in a gathering at GrandNats next year.   :D

#67 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:42 PM

Some of us are also very interested in a gathering at GrandNats next year. :D

There is a possibility I’ll be back there too. (Maybe Avon mom & dad will let me crash at their house. :lol: )

#68 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:44 PM

O.K.

But what Now????????

I would be happy to host a BOA Austin gathering at my house Friday night.

#69 ATXBandNerd

ATXBandNerd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:41 PM

:wub:

YES!  I'd totally be there! And I'll bring food!!

#70 Samuel Culper

Samuel Culper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:01 PM

SOME of us will be at football games. With our bands. 😝

#71 banddad84

banddad84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • LocationCanyon Lake TX

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:03 AM

SOME of us will be at football games. With our bands.

that was the beauty of the gathering we had in Indy - with the exception of my wife and I - the participants in the gathering did not have kids in a program - they were all Alumni parents from many programs as well as our TXbands folks, HornRanks and the MFA CEO

it is difficult to get parents that have kids in the program to attend this type of event - they are tied to the travel plan of their child

#72 jmj

jmj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:18 AM

That would be so fun!  I'd be in for that! 

#73 Bandmomx4

Bandmomx4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:40 AM

that was the beauty of the gathering we had in Indy - with the exception of my wife and I - the participants in the gathering did not have kids in a program - they were all Alumni parents from many programs as well as our TXbands folks, HornRanks and the MFA CEO

it is difficult to get parents that have kids in the program to attend this type of event - they are tied to the travel plan of their child

That’s my problem... someday I’ll be just an alumni parent. 😂

#74 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:31 AM

SOME of us will be at football games. With our bands. 😝

Well maybe Vista Ridge will have an away game that night. Far, far away. 😜

#75 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:34 AM

I don’t know if y’all remember when I first started posting during my daughter’s Senior year, and I wasn’t sure there was a place for me in the marching band world with my kiddo graduating. Boy was I wrong. :lol: I have enjoyed being an alumni parent more than I ever imagined that I would!

#76 ATXBandNerd

ATXBandNerd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:41 PM

Well maybe Vista Ridge will have an away game that night. Far, far away. 😜

Oh right 😂

#77 AvonDad

AvonDad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationAvon, Indiana

Posted 09 December 2019 - 01:05 AM

POPULAR

I don’t know if y’all remember when I first started posting during my daughter’s Senior year, and I wasn’t sure there was a place for me in the marching band world with my kiddo graduating. Boy was I wrong. :lol: I have enjoyed being an alumni parent more than I ever imagined that I would!

So far the best part of being an alumni parent is we can run on our own schedule and not have to worry about being at the school early for chaperone duties, or getting back to the house at 2am after a long day at a contest.  Don't get me wrong, as I enjoyed it during my time, but it was different this year to have the freedom to just enjoy the moments.  We will always have our ties with our group and are willing to help as needed, but Mrs AvonDad is not a night person and I've brought her over to the "dark side" (she's a choir girl) this season with help of our alumni status.  Without having a kid in the band, it was easier for her experience and enjoy the shows without worrying about scores nor placements as she saw the reactions of "our kids".  We really enjoyed the gathering and being able to put faces and names together.  Mrs AvonDad is still a bit in disbelief of the people we met that night and warm welcomes all around.  Yeah....already planning on 2021 trip to SA.

Band parent alumni of 2 drummers and 1 show choir....finally "seniored out"......marched trumpet back in the "Be Kind, Please Rewind" days.

#78 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:26 PM

Good stuff. 🥰

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users