2019 Band Productions

What a great find! Some of these are even unlisted!

Vista Ridge's excites me the most. They just take right off, flying across the field. All that jazz running! I'm wondering if this is a CTJ/Hebron effect in action. After last year, with that surprise Hebron visual caption win in prelims at San Antonio, it's obvious that judges are really starting to look at the demands placed on the performers. Anyway, my favorite moment is when the soprano sax is playing the solo and the side 2 woodwinds intrude, moving across the field in that sort of dendritic form. I'm wondering if the Avon drill and guard guy is still writing for them. Daniel Wiles, is it? The drill doesn't quite look as Avon-ish as last year's. That could just be the angle, or the fact that the show is pretty dirty in that video. Also, pretty much all the flag work (besides the opening hit) is tragic. I think it's going to take a while to get a handle on this show.

Keller is giving the best performance of these groups (frankly, by a lot), but I think some of that is because the video was taken later. I think there's a lot to admire, but I'm not in love with the show yet. I think some of the reason is that the visual program isn't really keeping my attention right now. It's not evolving in that unexpected way that makes you kind of tilt your head to the side and go, "Oh, well that was interesting."

Has anybody tried getting a subscription to TexanLive.com? They live-stream and post video recordings of football games, including halftime shows. I've used it in the past to check out certain Houston-area groups. I'm interested in checking out Cy-Fair and Seven Lakes, but I'm sort of cheap. I want to see if either will be the next Vista Ridge this year! :) Also, Cy-Fair and The Woodlands are on there, but it's only audio. Actually, speaking of TWHS, I found a football game audio recording via Google. Woodlands Football Radio? Something like that. Pretty sure I've used it in the past. The guys actually (mostly) shut up and listened to the band for once! (But only for the home team.) You can hear brass and percussion pretty clearly, and some woodwinds (usually when they're on mic). I'm hesitant to judge music performance based on the recording, since I've been burned by that in the past, but the music book is pretty killer. A big bucket of fun. Lots of character, and great trumpet solos. They're bringing big band era realness this year. About 3 and half minutes with metronome. Right up to the ballad probably. They played over the announcer at the beginning, which I thought was kind of interesting. (Intentional?) Lots of tempo changes, but overall it's exciting, and the music has enough syncopation that you can't easily hear the left-right-left-right of the feet in the music, which is good. Hopefully the visual matches! I'm a little disappointed that when the music speeds up to Galop from Fancy Free that they didn't do the frantic part at the very end, and it ends with an abrupt "bop", but I feel like I'd mind it less if I weren't familiar with the music.

So I'll go one further:

The radio broadcast is at: https://thewoodlandsfootball.com/broadcast/. The Woodlands music starts at about the 1:49:30 mark. Cy-Fair is previous to that, but they talk over the whole thing.

Went to the Hebron-Plano game Friday night...Hebron’s show this year is going to be killer! If you thought last years drill was hard, wait until you see the field coverage this year. Still a little dirty visually and they’re very clearly not done with their opener but they already sound fantastic this year and their brass work is the best it has ever been, and it’s only September! Sounds extremely crown like. Haven’t been able to find any videos online to get a second listen but I’m impressed.

(Also I love the energy the Plano band has. They always seem to be enjoying themselves on the field!)

Richard Hinshaw and Daniel Wiles are no longer with Vista Ridge. I know Lindsey Vento is their coordinator, but their drill writer escapes me. It might be Tim Darbonne but don’t quote me on that.

Yeah, I vaguely recalled that somebody had left. But I couldn't remember if it was a director or a designer. After watching the show, it seemed like a design change.

I loved hearing your comments! They're always really detailed and insightful. We couldn't get all of part 2 on the field by the first football game thanks to the weather but trust me, it won't end abruptly like that I'm the future.

I was wondering if that was the case, but I didn't want to incorrectly suggest that it was incomplete. Thanks for the info!

Sounds like all of the usual suspects are set for an insane season. I truly love how we all are convinced that our program is the one who’s doing the most this season. :) And there are still so many we have not heard from. And since it’s not a state year for 6A, I am expecting no holds barred from a fair number of bands this fall.

Keep hyping your programs, kiddos, alumni and parents! It makes the anticipation for the season all the more exciting!!

Band really IS better in Texas. ;)

Sounds like all of the usual suspects are set for an insane season. I truly love how we all are convinced that our program is the one who’s doing the most this season. :) And there are still so many we have not heard from. And since it’s not a state year for 6A, I am expecting no holds barred from a fair number of bands this fall.

Keep hyping your programs, kiddos, alumni and parents! It makes the anticipation for the season all the more exciting!!

Band really IS better in Texas. ;)

I’m especially excited for this season because as a new alumni, I want to be a fan for ALL. But, I will always be a little biased ;)

I've seen it a lot on here, but do bands really have vastly different shows on uil years?

Looking at my own band's shows, our state years don't really have much going on with props, or rather they aren't there to add much to what's going on. The focus is almost entirely on the marchers and the music. Non-state years are very flamboyant, on the other hand. They're very present and add a whole other component to the show that is of equal importance to the marching.

In terms of musical selection, non-state years are typically more intense shows with faster drill. They're the years that the design team sees how far they can push their students in terms of what can be accomplished at a high level.

As for the show concept itself, our shows in state years have always been more simple than non-state. Non-state shows are more conceptual and imaginative than state shows.

I marched for Keller. So forgive my bias everyone. I’m gonna try my best to not go full fanboy for my alma mater and rather appreciate the art that everyone brings to the field this fall.

I assumed from your name that you were from Keller. The Blue Dot seems to have continued through the generations.

I've seen it a lot on here, but do bands really have vastly different shows on uil years?

Oh and our band is really bringing it LOL

Some bands like Leander and CTJ always bring more BOA catered show but others bands like Vandegrift have found more success state years by toning down the boa style and focusing more on technique

Oh and our band is really bringing it LOL

Yes I believe that there is quite a big difference for the BOA heavy bands during UIL years. They still like to keep the BOA flair going so that they do well at those competitions, but the drill and music is toned down a bit and is usually more conservative in order to appeal to UIL judges. It’s tough winning both circuits during UIL years but not impossible.

Another difference, for Leander at least, is that our non UIL year shows are usually several minutes and an additional movement longer than UIL years due to the time constraints given by UIL. With those restraints loosened a bit for BOA competitions, we go longer and add more flair and FLAVA in non UIL years. ESPECIALLY during Grand Nats years. I think our show is going to be 20 minutes long by the middle of November. KIDDING. :D

Having said all of that, this is part of the reason I think that band really is unique in Texas. Does any other state only participate in state competitions only every other year? And are those state competitions as different from BOA as Texas competitions are? I think it makes for very unique and interesting show differences from year to year. It’s fun to see what a successful program does in a State year versus a BOA only year.

My thoughts of videos I've seen so far, mostly from Austin Area  - 

Leander - Lots of potential. I could see this being a contender at Grand Nationals. Obviously dirty and not sounding super great at times, but the design is so good. They have 11 weeks to clean it up. Britney Spears section is so well put together. Almost seems like a blue devils show in design. 

Vista Ridge - Not the vista ridge from last year. The ditched the fan friendly vibe for a visceral and more modern vibe. Not nearly as clean as they were this time last season, but the show seems way harder. I predict they will do well. 

Weiss - Solid step up in design. Way more BOA than the previous 2 years. The band does not sound super hot though....percussion aside. 

Round Rock - Seems solid, though maybe not creative enough to challenge for finals at BOA Grand Nationals or San Antonio. We will see how it progresses. They have always been a good band, just struggled with design lately. 

Westlake - Very solid start for them. Colorguard is a big strength. The band has some pretty intricate work with the props. The band is playing much louder than years past. Opener is very fast paced and pretty clean for this point in time. Will be interesting to see how they do at BOA Houston. 

Keller - Playing super well. Starting to sound almost Hebron like! Show seems a little boring and drill maybe not the strength but the band sounds amazing. 

Bowie (Saw them at a football game) - Reminds me of LD Bell from the late 2000's. Very mystic if that makes sense. They have a singer. Band seems pretty loud in person. They will challenge for BOA finals again. 

Cedar Ridge - Band seems small. Still putting out some volume. I worry that they may be too small to make finals at San Antonio. Percussion is outstanding as always. 

Cedar Park - Band seems small here as well. They seem weaker than years past at this point. Guard seems like a step up though. I have confidence they can clean it up. 

Pflugerville - Seems like they are falling off a bit after they lost a director to Leander.