John Marshall HS
Lake Travis HS
Lehman HS
McNeil HS
Stevens HS
Stony Point HS
Taft HS

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting Fact: Both the current 5A (Cedar Park) and 6A (Vista Ridge) UIL State Marching Champions share Gupton Stadium as their Home Stadium.

Not sure if anyone knows if the top two classification reigning State Champions have ever been from the same City and shared the same stadium? Is this a first?

Somehow I only just now caught this bit of trivia. That’s pretty impressive when you think about it!

I’ll be at Gupton tonight for the VR Parent Preview. I’ll be wearing a red Couchmen Drum and Bugle Corps T-shirt. :) Would love to meet more VR folks!

Somehow I only just now caught this bit of trivia. That’s pretty impressive when you think about it!

I’ll be at Gupton tonight for the VR Parent Preview. I’ll be wearing a red Couchmen Drum and Bugle Corps T-shirt. :) Would love to meet more VR folks!

I'll be there, too.  I'll be the guy wearing the Turning Tables show shirt.   :D

I know you weren’t asking me, but I’m thinking Dripping Springs, Weiss and Lake Travis.

That would be my guess.

Since I don't have a competition that day, I'm now considering going just to watch. Last year after the Waco incident a few of us went to TMC and watched the last few bands in prelims. It was very weird watching another high school band in the lot while in high school.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - Add Cuero HS

3A

Manor New Tech HS

4A

Burnet HS

Cuero HS
Lampasas HS
Liberty Hill HS
Llano HS
Johnson HS

5A

Connally HS
Dripping Springs HS
Georgetown HS
Glenn HS
Hutto HS
LBJ HS
Marble Falls HS
Victoria West HS
Weiss HS

6A

Akins HS
Brandeis HS
Comal Canyon HS
Hays HS
John Marshall HS
Lake Travis HS
Lehman HS
McNeil HS
Stevens HS
Stony Point HS
Taft HS

• 3 weeks later...

I see Dripping Springs taking it. After that, I really don't know. Out of the NISD bands, it's likely gonna be Stevens ahead of the pack. Maybe Brandeis up there too.

We'll see how the director change goes for Taft. Mr. Mills is a musical genius, so I'm optimistic. I've been meaning to go to a game, but they're too expensive (8 dollars). For now I won't be making any uninformed predictions.

Maybe. Brandeis is very powerful on the UIL rubric. They've never been more than 2 places away from making state since 2014 after all. History just tells me Stevens end up ahead. It'll for sure be close though.

I'm a Taft alum by the way. Stevens and Brandeis were both big competition for my school at one time, but now I'm just cheering for any NISD band.

Regarding Stevens: Their show design is top notch (assuming Dominguez is still there). Their execution earlier on in the season isn't as great I'd argue, but they clean up beautifully toward the end.

Like I said, it'll be close. Brandeis is a very clean band and has top notch percussion. They perform magnificently come Area time because they are very clean. They might take the win over Stevens, I just personally predict they won't.

The rest of the bands from NISD aren't quite up to the level of those two yet. O'Connor is the closest. Taft is unpredictable due to the director change. If things keep on the same, they'll be around the same bracket as O'Connor.

Warren is for sure amazing as well. They have one of the best color guards in Texas. I haven't seen their new percussion director, but at one point they had the best percussion section in Northside. They also seem to be the best at BOA competitions in the district.

10:30  Cuero

10:45  Manor New Tech

11:00  Marble Falls

11:15  Lampasas

11:30  Lake Travis

11:45  Comal Canyon

12:15  John Paul Stevens

12:30  Burnet

12:45  Victoria West

1:00  Hays

1:15  Stony Point

1:30  Liberty Hill

2:00  Georgetown

2:15  John Marshall

2:30  Akins

2:45  Dripping Springs

3:00  Connally

3:15  Brandeis

3:30  McNeil

4:00  Glenn

4:15  Lehman

4:30  Johnson (Buda)

4:45  Taft

5:00  LBJ

5:15  Hutto

5:30  Weiss

5:45 Prelims Awards & Finalists Announcements

7:15  First Finalist Performance

9:45  Last Finalist Performance

10:00  Vista Ridge Exhibition

10:30 Finals Awards

I made it out to the Taft game last night. Even though there were only 2 movements on the field, it impressed me. I think they'll be in finals, but not super high in finals. It looks like they're transitioning quite nicely from one director to another.

For some reason, I feel like the doors in the show should be red.