BOA Midland 2019

I think Burleson Centennial is on the rise. They did better than I predicted at the Mansfield contest last year, the show was tastefully designed and if they compete with a similar one I could see them doing well at a BOA event.

I loved their show last year! I only got to see it once somebody posted it in January and they are definitely improving at a very quick pace. My favorite part was their closer, their percussion never fails to impress, even on the football field!

I loved their show last year! I only got to see it once somebody posted it in January and they are definitely improving at a very quick pace. My favorite part was their closer, their percussion never fails to impress, even on the football field!

Agreed on that percussion, their website says they placed 6th in the world for scholastic class. That's a strong component for build your program around for sure...

• 1 month later...

Interesting to see my alma mater’s rival Creekview (Carrollton) make the trip out to this contest. This has to be their first BOA competition in 10 years or so. It was a major bummer to see them get a 2 at UIL a couple years ago, but this feels like a promising development for the program. I really hope they can make a good showing and get a bit of their mojo back (fun fact- they were SA super regional finalists way back in 2004) would die if Newman Smith joined them but I’m not holding my breath

Interesting to see my alma mater’s rival Creekview (Carrollton) make the trip out to this contest. This has to be their first BOA competition in 10 years or so. It was a major bummer to see them get a 2 at UIL a couple years ago, but this feels like a promising development for the program. I really hope they can make a good showing and get a bit of their mojo back (fun fact- they were SA super regional finalists way back in 2004) would die if Newman Smith joined them but I’m not holding my breath

I remember seeing Creekview at San Antonio in 2004 and being very impressed. I always wondered what had happened to them. I would love to see them achieve some success here. 

I'm really excited for this one, with who I've seen signed up and who I'm expecting to sign up based on the past two years attendance this is going to be a really fun contest with what I'm expecting will be definitely over twenty bands again.  Love seeing that some big powerhouse 6As are coming to continue to expose the area to that level of performance, some bands who have either not done BOA ever or in a really long time, and what I'm hoping will be another strong showing from the local programs.  I haven't seen Midland Lee and Odessa Permian at the level they were at last year and in 2017 in a long time, and I loved getting to see both in finals along with Lubbock Cooper last year.  Hoping to see their faces in finals again next year and maybe more.  

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to be fun, I count 15 finalist contenders myself.  This is the highest attendance for this event thus far at 26.  I knew about most of these just based on what has been posted from band calendars, but I didn't know about Clovis which is super exciting, they had somewhat of a breakout year last year to me making finals at BOA St. Louis (and actually beating Marian Catholic before a small penalty which would have had them in the top half of finals) last year.  I feel like the top two is pretty obvious with Vista Ridge and Timber Creek, but after that who knows.  Glad to see the local participation pretty high again.  

As a partial resident of west Texas, I'm gonna throw in my predictions and two cents on the bands attending!

1) Vista Ridge - This is ridiculously self-explanatory. They are the reigning state marching champions and got 4th at BOA San Antonio. I don't know what else to say other than that I'm SO happy that these growing programs out west get to experience a live performance from the state champions. 

2) Timber Creek -  Again not much explanation necessary. They are the defending champions of this regional and missed BOA SA finals by only a few spots last fall. They're a program on the rise with no sign of stopping.

3) Clovis - Great to see them back at this regional from 2017. They had a great 2018 season and as already mentioned, made a very strong statement at BOA STL finals. 

4) Summit - Been a hot second since we've had Mansfield bands participate in BOA and I'm excited to see them back. They finished 9th last fall in probably the most competitive area.

5) Mansfield - See above.

6) Burleson Centennial - Now I've got high hopes for this group after knowing what they pulled off in WGI this season. This group is on the rise and wouldn't be surprised to even see them marching in 5A state finals at the Alamodome

7) Wylie East - A defending medalist from last season with a whole lot more competition, but I still see them making finals comfortably. Loved their show last year and expect them to carry off of that momentum well

8) Midland Lee - I remember hearing that this band placed in the top half during prelims awards and I was taken aback, and I'm sure most everyone else was too. Then I saw their finals performance and I was no longer surprised. It's always great to see a group come up out of nowhere and take the field by storm and here's to seeing them again in finals this year.

9) Del Rio - Call it the most overhyped group in the state, but truth is that this is a very solid program beginning to find it's place. I fully expect them to succeed at this regional once again.

10) Permian - You may say they're fallen titan, but the lights don't turn off after Friday night for this school because Permian will be putting up one heck of a fight on Saturday to make finals once again at this regional. 

Other potential finalists:

Frenship - One of the premier groups in west Texas with a fantastic concert program. I don't know if them missing finals by so much last year was a fluke or not, but I can see this group both in or out of finals this year.

Granbury - A similar group to Wylie East, but my gut isn't pulling for them in the same way. I still expect a fantastic performance from them and a close call on finals.

James Martin - Another group from Area B like the Mansfield schools. This group tends to be very sporadic in their placements and that makes it hard for me to place them.

Lubbock-Cooper - Had by far their best season last year, coming in at their highest placement ever at BOA San Antonio ever even given that it was the most competitive iteration of that super regional (to date). Considering that they barely made it in last season, I don't know for sure how they will fair this time around, but they could still make it in.

Other bands of note:

Abilene - I've got to be a homer and I will be rooting for them at the regional, but I highly doubt they will make finals. Give them a few years of returning to this competition and a stabilized staff and they'll be contenders in no time.

Lubbock Coronado and Lubbock - These are both solid 5A programs in the Lubbock area and will be fighting harder this year with it being a state year for them.

Hobbs - An out of state group is always welcome and I'm glad they've decided to come back even if their results from last year weren't super high.

Klein Cain - This young school has had a slow but steady rise, don't think they'll be at the level to make finals this season, but they could surprise us.

Midland - Given Lee's sudden jump, who's to say that the other school in the district can't do the same?

Pecos - They will continue the tradition of claiming the Class A with ease, but they'll also be headed out to San Antonio later on in the season, so I'll definitely keep my eyes on them more than usual.

Early thoughts:

1. Vista Ridge

2. Timber Creek

3. Clovis

4. James Martin

5. Mansfield

6. Summit

7. Wylie East

8. Granbury

9. Del Rio

10. Burleson Centennial

Potential finalists: Permian, Midland Lee

I think Timber Creek is absolutely capable of pulling an upset on VR if they continue to see such extreme growth from season to season, but Vista is definitely the favorite.

Early thoughts:

1. Vista Ridge

2. Timber Creek

3. Clovis

4. James Martin

5. Mansfield

6. Summit

7. Wylie East

8. Granbury

9. Del Rio

10. Burleson Centennial

I think Timber Creek is absolutely capable of pulling an upset on VR if they continue to see such extreme growth from season to season, but Vista is definitely the favorite.

Hmmmm. I don’t really see that happening but you truly never know!

Hmmmm. I don’t really see that happening but you truly never know!

I could see it potentially happening. VR is certainly the favorite but I dont think they are quite untouchable.

I could see it potentially happening. VR is certainly the favorite but I dont think they are quite untouchable.

As a Vista Ridge Band Dad for the last 7 years it's odd, fun and scary to see us being talked about this way (as favorite's and people wanting to see us as a representative of a top band)   Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I also recall that in 2017 we were about where Timber Creak was at BOA San Antonio in 2018 and a lot can change in a year.   So I strongly agree that we are not untouchable.

I do see Mr. A., our Marching Director and the entire organization stepping it up even more from last year so I believe we will be a very strong contender again in 2019.   I am very much looking forward to the contest and seeing all the Bands and I look forward to seeing Timber Creek and the other bands stepping it up as well.  Nothing drives improvement and innovation like good competition!   I will be driving out the night before so I can see the whole thing, it's going to be a blast!

Early thoughts:

1. Vista Ridge

2. Timber Creek

3. Clovis

4. James Martin

5. Mansfield

6. Summit

7. Wylie East

8. Granbury

9. Del Rio

10. Burleson Centennial

I don't disagree with any of this, but will respond by pointing out that Vista experienced some pretty serious growth from season to season as well.  And, as the previous poster pointed out, the culture change at Vista was far from complete going into the 2018 season.  

I saw a post on Twitter that Timber Creeks' director is leaving to take an opportunity at Sam Houston State.   Best wishes and congratulations to Mrs. McBryde on her new endeavor!   Also the very best to the Timber Creek Band and that they will not skip a beat but keep growing and getting better!

I saw a post on Twitter that Timber Creeks' director is leaving to take an opportunity at Sam Houston State.   Best wishes and congratulations to Mrs. McBryde on her new endeavor!   Also the very best to the Timber Creek Band and that they will not skip a beat but keep growing and getting better!

Hope they can continue to make great strides <3 Do we know if they already know who will take her position?

• 1 month later...