HELP: Band Kid Who's Never Played In Orchestra

So, here's my situation: I'm the principal clarinetist of my band, and the ETSBOA All-East Senior Clinic is next week. I am currently the last chair of the 11/12 Blue Band, but there is a chance that I'll get dragged into the Symphony Orchestra to play the 3rd Clarinet part. Here's the thing: I've never played in a real orchestra. I've only played in my graduation orchestra, but all the music was really easy. To give you an idea of why I'm a little worried about this, here's the setlist for the All-East Symphony Orchestra:

The Planets: Mars by Gustav Holst

The Planets: Jupiter by Gustav Holst

Dusk by Steven Bryant

Flight to Neverland by John Williams

Yeah, that's a pretty daunting program, especially for someone who has only played in band. The reason I say that I might get dragged into playing the 3rd Clarinet part in Symphony Orchestra is because ETSBOA is basically asking every clarinet in the 11/12 Blue Band if they would be interested in filling that part. If everyone else says no, I will be automatically placed into Symphony Orchestra since I'm literally the last chair in the band, and of course they wouldn't ask anyone in 11/12 Red Band. So I really don't have a choice in the matter. 

So, any advice on how I can mentally prepare for this situation if it arises?

-Alison

I think this is a great opportunity for you, and you should definitely embrace the chance to experience it! Orchestral music generally moves to a bit darker tone in the woodwinds and brass, which is a great learning experience, and just the vibe of being surrounded by strings is a unique experience. I say this as a retired music director who has experience in both the band and orchestra worlds! Go for it, enjoy it, and grow from it!

Not very often we get people from Tennesee on here.  Welcome.

Can't say I have much advice to offer on the topic, being a Euphonium player (Euphoniums almost never play in orchestras--"The Planets" being one of the few exceptions, ironically enough).  I will say orchestras are fun because they're more deeply layered with the addition of the strings.  The literature is sublime, and considering the one-on-a-part scoring, you're getting to play with some more elite players, this can result in quite a rewarding musical experience.  I should also mention that orchestral wind parts require a bit more maturity and preparation than band, since typically you are the only one responsible for your part.  You're not sharing it with 2 or 3 other people like in concert band, or 5-10 other people like in marching band.  You have to own your part, and can't rely on others to cover your shortcomings.  The listening is also a little different since you're typically sitting in a different part of the setup, and have to deal with the added sound and tuning of the strings (which can be hit or miss depending on the size of the section, the number of players, and what direction the wind is blowing that particular day).

Hope you have fun :).