Longest Active Streaks of SMBC Apperances

Just for fun, I decided to do some digging and discover which current 5A band has the longest active streak of consecutive State Contest appearances. I did not restrict it to only appearances at a 5A SMBC (or 4A before 2014). I counted it if they went to a SMBC for any conference. I was also only able to fully track down to the 2002/2003 contests, as the archives only show Finalists after that point.

1st: Princeton, Roma (8)

2nd: Abilene Wylie, Forney, Frisco Wakeland (5)

3rd: Cedar Park (4)

4th: Fort Worth Southwest, Mesquite Poteet (3)

I will probably do some digging on the other conferences at some point.

Just for fun, I decided to do some digging and discover which current 5A band has the longest active streak of consecutive State Contest appearances. I did not restrict it to only appearances at a 5A SMBC (or 4A before 2014). I counted it if they went to a SMBC for any conference. I was also only able to fully track down to the 2002/2003 contests, as the archives only show Finalists after that point.

Someone here is bound to know the link that has all that information lol

If I'm not mistaken, CP has been to state every time since 2001 when they won the 4A (now 5A), championship, making their appearances 9.

Friendswood should be more than 10 as they've been made State every year since I believe the 90s.

Roma should be more than 8 consecutive appearances but don't quote me on that.

Poteet has *qualified* for State 15 consecutive times, but were prohibited from actually participating in 2011 due to a "member" of the band failing classes but still participating in UIL Region.

Summed up, these programs have been some of the most consistent in the 5A (old 4A) SMBC, as has Princeton in the 4A (old 3A) conferences. If I missed anyone or got some information wrong please correct me.

As far as 6A, Duncanville, Reagan, The Woodlands, Marcus, and CTJ hold some of the longest active streaks. Duncanville holds the longest.

Good luck this upcoming season btw!

Duncanville's is definitely the longest, both for 6A/5A and overall with 17 consecutive appearances from 1988 - Present.

Dickinson has the longest for 5A (4A pre-2014) though.  Dickinson appeared at every 4A State contest from 1986 to 2007, for a total of 14 consecutive appearances.  For 2008 they went up to 6A (then 5A), and placed 8th at Area F Finals, so that was their first year to not advance.

1986 - 1st
1987 - 4th
1988 - 2nd
1989 - 1st
1990 - 1st
1991 - 1st
1993 - 1st
1995 - 2nd
1997 - 2nd
1999 - 5th
2001 - 4th
2003 - 8th
2005 - 15th
2007 - 4th
2008 - Didn't Advance

If I'm not mistaken, CP has been to state every time since 2001 when they won the 4A (now 5A), championship, making their appearances 9.

Cedar Park turned 5A in 2002.  They placed 6th at UIL Area D 5A and didn't advance, putting their total streak at 7: 2004, 2006, 2008, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017

"As far as 6A, Duncanville, Reagan, The Woodlands, Marcus, and CTJ hold some of the longest active streaks. Duncanville holds the longest."

CTJ hasnt been around long enough to be on this list and technically didnt attend state in 2016. Still very impressive for the short time they have been around. Keller and Coppell have good streaks going. There are probably some good ones in the Houston area going too but I cant be bothered right now to check them all out.

Were there any other years besides 2014-2016 where Friendswood has been in the largest size class?

If not, then this is probably accurate.  That would mean 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014 & 2016 for a total of 12.  Bold means it's verified.  No idea for '95-'01.

Normally I would pull up the MFA forum archive which used to go all the way back to 1999....but that's basically gone now.  I could dig around through RAMBla, but that site is a nightmare to navigate.  If anyone wants to confirm rankings for those years, feel free.

Duncanville's is definitely the longest, both for 6A/5A and overall with 17 consecutive appearances from 1988 - Present.

Dickinson has the longest for 5A (4A pre-2014) though. Dickinson appeared at every 4A State contest from 1986 to 2007, for a total of 14 consecutive appearances. For 2008 they went up to 6A (then 5A), and placed 8th at Area F Finals, so that was their first year to not advance.

1986 - 1st

1987 - 4th

1988 - 2nd

1989 - 1st

1990 - 1st

1991 - 1st

1993 - 1st

1995 - 2nd

1997 - 2nd

1999 - 5th

2001 - 4th

2003 - 8th

2005 - 15th

2007 - 4th

2008 - Didn't Advance

I knew Dickinson had a long streak but not that long, wow.

"As far as 6A, Duncanville, Reagan, The Woodlands, Marcus, and CTJ hold some of the longest active streaks. Duncanville holds the longest."

CTJ hasnt been around long enough to be on this list and technically didnt attend state in 2016. Still very impressive for the short time they have been around. Keller and Coppell have good streaks going. There are probably some good ones in the Houston area going too but I cant be bothered right now to check them all out.

Honestly forgot about 2016, but had they gone that would've been 6 consecutive trips, that still wouldn't be one of the longer active streaks?

Reagan also missed in 2008, which makes their streak short. You all are missing Harlingen, who has a healthier and longer streak than many.

Definitely true.  Whenever I'm sizing up Area G, I'm always like "Well Harlingen should be in the running for state... they're always in the running".  That's been the case since I got into this activity, and I'm sure was the case long before that.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if there's some 1A school that I'm overlooking.

UPDATED 5A LIST

1- Roma (8)

2- Cedar Park (7)

3- Princeton (6)

4- Frisco Wakeland, Abilene Wylie, Forney (5)

5- Mesquite Poteet, FW Southwest (3)

4A LIST

1- Canton (11)

2- Argyle (9)

3- Port Isabel, Wills Point (8)

4- Kennedale (7)

5- Paris North Lamar (6)

6- Grulla, Longview Spring Hill, Springtown (4)

7- Little Cypress Mauriceville, Pecos (3)

Are we talking current streaks, or longest streak regardless of activity?

He says active streak so I'm guessing he means current streaks. Would explain why he didn't include some of the mentioned bands.

I am not following your list criteria at all. You made corrections to your previous list, but you still have Poteet at 3 even though they have WAY more, you didn't include Friendswood and Dickinson at all even though it's been stated both have more than 10.

This list is only for ACTIVE streaks (i.e., streaks including a 2017 or 2018 apperance). Poteet did not attend the 2011 SMBC.