2019 WGI - TCGC Season

Hey I don’t know what wgi event is going on that day, but on Saturday, February 9th, James Madison Hugh school is hosting a huge competition at our school called the “Festival of Colors.” It’s an all day event with over 60 different guard and drum line programs performing. It’s going to be a great day, and if you make it out, there is also a musical being performed tat 7 pm in the auditorium, called “Guys and Dolls,” that I am in the pit for and is free to watch. It’s going to be a great day and I hope you can make it!!! (Also, if you come to the musical, we have the opportunity to meet before or during intermission.)

Don’t forget WGI San Antonio (aka New Braunfels) is this Saturday at Canyon HS (exit 189 heading south on I-35 and exit 190 if headed north). I will be there for all of finals. Prelims begins at 9:30 am with James Madison JV. Finals starts at 6:15 pm. It’s $13 to get into prelims, $15 for finals, or $25 for an all day pass.

Some key players are: Westlake, Pflugerville, Cedar Ridge, Georgetown, James Madison, Churchill and Lake Travis in Scholastic A class, and Hendrickson, Ronald Reagan, Cedar Park, Leander, Earl Warren and McNeil in Open class. CTJ will be there as the only World class representative, and another Westlake group (from Louisiana!) will be in A. All in all it’s going to be a great competition. I hope to see some of y’all there!

Don’t forget WGI San Antonio (aka New Braunfels) is this Saturday at Canyon HS (exit 189 heading south on I-35 and exit 190 if headed north). I will be there for all of finals. Prelims begins at 9:30 am with James Madison JV. Finals starts at 6:15 pm. It’s $13 to get into prelims, $15 for finals, or $25 for an all day pass.

Some key players are: Westlake, Pflugerville, Cedar Ridge, Georgetown, James Madison, Churchill and Lake Travis in Scholastic A class, and Hendrickson, Ronald Reagan, Cedar Park, Leander, Earl Warren and McNeil in Open class. CTJ will be there as the only World class representative, and another Westlake group (from Louisiana!) will be in A. All in all it’s going to be a great competition. I hope to see some of y’all there!

Hmmmmmmmmm....

I'm not paying for any FloMarching broadcast until the Southwest Regional, so I'll be out of the loop for a while. I am, however, looking at the prelims scores at the first WGI contests happening today. Lots of 70+ scores at the San Antonio Regional, including from two Scholastic Open groups, where 70+ scores at the beginning of the season are quite a bit rarer than in the A class. Notably, this includes the Leander guard, which is in its first season in the Open class. Bodes well for them. McNeil, the first-place guard after prelims, will probably be in pretty good shape to make finals (and then some) at the WGI championship this year.

I'm a little bit concerned by the 50.2 score from CTJ in the World class. Last year at this first regional, they scored over 13 points higher than that in prelims. I'm wondering if they had a really rough run, and/or maybe the show is just really difficult. Or maybe penalties? They are going to the WGI championship this year, so they're going to need to work hard to make finals. Then again, it's VERY early in the season, and some shows take longer to clean. Unfortunately, I think the fact that the Scholastic World class is where TX guards typically go to die contributes a lot to my pessimism. All of our Scholastic World groups are going to the WGI World Championships this year, so we'll see! :P

Here is a link for an Indiana High School Color Guard Association (IHSCGA) event from today.  Not exactly sure how IHSCGA compares with WGI scorewise, thought they were similar, but might add some perspective from further east.  https://www.ihscga.org/admin/event_images/big_photo/132_~Westfield%20Tabulation%202019.pdf  I'm looking forward to seeing how Leander does up a class this year.

Here is a link for an Indiana High School Color Guard Association (IHSCGA) event from today. Not exactly sure how IHSCGA compares with WGI scorewise, thought they were similar, but might add some perspective from further east. https://www.ihscga.org/admin/event_images/big_photo/132_~Westfield%20Tabulation%202019.pdf I'm looking forward to seeing how Leander does up a class this year.

Saw those results!! Great stuff! We miss you all tons!!

I'm not paying for any FloMarching broadcast until the Southwest Regional, so I'll be out of the loop for a while. I am, however, looking at the prelims scores at the first WGI contests happening today. Lots of 70+ scores at the San Antonio Regional, including from two Scholastic Open groups, where 70+ scores at the beginning of the season are quite a bit rarer than in the A class. Notably, this includes the Leander guard, which is in its first season in the Open class. Bodes well for them. McNeil, the first-place guard after prelims, will probably be in pretty good shape to make finals (and then some) at the WGI championship this year.

I'm a little bit concerned by the 50.2 score from CTJ in the World class. Last year at this first regional, they scored over 13 points higher than that in prelims. I'm wondering if they had a really rough run, and/or maybe the show is just really difficult. Or maybe penalties? They are going to the WGI championship this year, so they're going to need to work hard to make finals. Then again, it's VERY early in the season, and some shows take longer to clean. Unfortunately, I think the fact that the Scholastic World class is where TX guards typically go to die contributes a lot to my pessimism. All of our Scholastic World groups are going to the WGI World Championships this year, so we'll see! :P

I believe that CTJ scored so low because they didn’t seem to have much of their show ready to perform. There was a lot of time when they weren’t doing anything or that something was missing. It also ended suddenly so it was obvious that they aren’t done with it. Maybe they are saving the good stuff for later in the season?

Leander did really well for their first time in Open Class. Hopefully they will continue to improve in this class and will return to World Championships again in the near future. We saw our star guard guy from last year (Brian) performing in Invictus. He was phenomenal, as was the entire group. I look forward to seeing their progression as well.

That’s interesting what you said about Texas guards dying once they enter World Class. Hopefully that trend will change soon!

Here is a link for an Indiana High School Color Guard Association (IHSCGA) event from today. Not exactly sure how IHSCGA compares with WGI scorewise, thought they were similar, but might add some perspective from further east. https://www.ihscga.org/admin/event_images/big_photo/132_~Westfield%20Tabulation%202019.pdf I'm looking forward to seeing how Leander does up a class this year.

Can’t wait to see Avon this season! They amaze me. Hopefully Carmel has a less bizarre show this year.

I made a vlog for this past weekend’s competition. You can skip to about the 1.40 mark if you just want to see a glimpse of each of the guards that were in finals. I’m still not sure I want to start actually vlogging but I’m thinking about it. Especially for the upcoming fall season since it will be such an exciting one for Texas. We will see!

I made a vlog for this past weekend’s competition. 

Real good start here...and I even watched the coffee being made.  Would love to have a word or two of commentary at the end of what stood out the most for you, but liked what I saw.  I did see some interesting things that stood out to me and my midwest experiences.  First, very limited on floor props in general.  Nothing bad with that as I don't care for hauling so many props that its a rush just to get set up for them to perform,.  I think it was Westlake (LA) with the fence that started to look like what I'm familiar with seeing on the floor, followed a little with Cedar Ridge.  What's with Leander's mat? Looks like an interesting concept. Second, are there many equipment exchanges in the shows, or am I spoiled :)..... and third, more of curiosity, what kind of show music is popular?  Classical, Rock, Country, speech.....   Found it cool to see Invictus at the end as one of their leaders graduated a couple years ahead of me from the same small town school.  I say keep it up if you can find time as I know its hard work to put stuff like this together.  I give it two thumbs up!

Real good start here...and I even watched the coffee being made. Would love to have a word or two of commentary at the end of what stood out the most for you, but liked what I saw. I did see some interesting things that stood out to me and my midwest experiences. First, very limited on floor props in general. Nothing bad with that as I don't care for hauling so many props that its a rush just to get set up for them to perform,. I think it was Westlake (LA) with the fence that started to look like what I'm familiar with seeing on the floor, followed a little with Cedar Ridge. What's with Leander's mat? Looks like an interesting concept. Second, are there many equipment exchanges in the shows, or am I spoiled :)..... and third, more of curiosity, what kind of show music is popular? Classical, Rock, Country, speech..... Found it cool to see Invictus at the end as one of their leaders graduated a couple years ahead of me from the same small town school. I say keep it up if you can find time as I know its hard work to put stuff like this together. I give it two thumbs up!

Thanks for watching it all. I definitely have a lot to learn and I want to figure out how to get different music on there than what comes with iMovie. I planned to add commentary at the end but it took me so long to edit it, I gave up. But it was really just a trial run to see if I think I really want to do all of the work that filming and editing requires, and if I actually have the right kind of personality to be interesting. I also need to make sure my skin is thick enough for the criticism that’s sure to come from YouTube viewers (not TXBands folks of course!).

I noticed the limited number of floor props as well. I was definitely expecting more props in Open Class for sure. Last year there seemed to be a lot more of them, even in Texas. I’m not sure what that’s about. I bet the N Texas guards will have more. And we can just about guarantee that amazing ElPaso guard will have phenomenal props. WGI Dallas should have a lot more to see. And more of our shows will be fleshed out by then.

I should have included more footage with weapons. The Open Class groups used flags, rifles and sabers, especially Leander and McNeil, but I seem to have missed getting much footage of anything but flags. Leander’s floor is quite eye catching and the show is called “Is Where The Heart Is” but I am not quite sure what it means. :D Most of the music used on Saturday was that angsty sort of contemporary music that is so popular right now. There were a few with classical music and the Pioneer guard did a tribute to Delores Huerta, a Latina civil rights activist which had some speaking and commentary in it. Pioneer is really impressing me as both a fairly new BOA band and WGI guard. They are determined to make a name for themselves fast, and I believe it’s working. We will definitely hear more from this group from the Valley in coming years!

I loved Cedar Ridge’s show! It reminded me more of what you normally see the top WGI groups doing and I think they will do well with it. I also was fascinated by Georgetown and their robotic theme. I felt like it needed more interesting music but it sure was fun to watch!

Invictus was amazing. One of Leander’s top guard members from last year is in it and it sure was fun to see him shine. He is brilliant and I hope he has a great experience in that guard. Leander definitely feels his loss now that he has graduated but I think we will be alright. I hope Texas guards continue to take notes from the top groups like Avon and Carmel, and that we will some day be at that same level. Hopefully sooner than later!

Thanks again for your kind words on my first vlogging attempt!

Oooh! I can’t wait to watch tomorrow. :) I make myself some sort of reminder to go back and watch it. (Currently standing in the hallway at the school outside of the band booster board meeting- waiting to have a mini meeting after with people in it.)

Thank you momma! Hope your meeting went well. Can’t wait for show announcements!

I know they’re not a high school or from Texas, but has anyone else seen the clip of Ètude’s program that’s been circulating the past couple days? I think they’ll be returning to IW Finals if they continue performing the way they are now

I have not seen them yet this year but they were just gorgeous last year. I’ll be looking for them!