8 replies to this topic

#1 Majellan

Majellan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 12:16 AM

Okay, I know it is our unofficial state song but why is it a prerequisite for marching bands to play this, particularly at the rose bowl parade. Mine did it at the Macy’s parade back in 1989, but why? I watched Flower Mound on you tube from the rose bowl band fest, field show was outstanding yet again, but they preview the song they will play in the parade and sure enough, deep in the heart of Texas. Props to Reagan for resisting the urge to play it in last year’s rose bowl parade. Nothing against Flower Mound they play it very well, this may just be me, but it makes Texas seem more provincial than we are.

#2 Gogogo

Gogogo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:21 PM

Texas Loud, Texas Proud! I was thrilled that Flower Mound chose to play that during the marching portion of Bandfest! I can’t wait to see them in the Tournament of Roses Parade today from..👏👏👏👏deep in the ❤️ of Texas 🇨🇱

#3 Majellan

Majellan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:26 PM

There’s no shame in Texas, probably just 30 years of seeing the same song from Texas bands at the rose bowl parade. I am Texas proud to a fault, especially where it concerns marching band! Flower Mound did great today.

#4 Rudedog34

Rudedog34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationPflugerville, Tx

Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:30 AM

I consider "Deep" the unofficial official state song of Texas. I don't think Texas, Our Texas would be worth trying to pull off. These band are there to represent their school and their state and "Deep" does that.

#5 BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:16 AM

I consider "Deep" the unofficial official state song of Texas. I don't think Texas, Our Texas would be worth trying to pull off. These band are there to represent their school and their state and "Deep" does that.

I play Texas, Our Texas with the marching band at TAMU-Commerce (East Texas State), and it's on my Top 10 of songs I never want to play again lol

#6 Gogogo

Gogogo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:32 PM

I play Texas, Our Texas with the marching band at TAMU-Commerce (East Texas State), and it's on my Top 10 of songs I never want to play again lol

I’m with you on TX Our TX - and there’s a reason Pee Wee chose Deep for his movie ( okay, everyone was thinking it)

#7 Rudedog34

Rudedog34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:11 AM

I’m with you on TX Our TX - and there’s a reason Pee Wee chose Deep for his movie ( okay, everyone was thinking it)

#8 Rudedog34

Rudedog34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:13 AM

Well I wasn't, until you brought it up. 😋

#9 Jeffrey L. Gorman

Jeffrey L. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:08 AM

Actually while growing up in CA, My High School Band Marched in the Rose Parade and several other events against Texas Bands. Back in the 60's and 70's almost every TX HS Band I heard used the Theme from the Movie "GIANT" by Dimitri Tiomkin which was a great piece of music. I think that beats Deep in the Heart of Texas by a landslide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users