SpartanMarcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationPorter HS

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:59 AM

POPULAR

So I started working on something recently after realizing that Flower Mound’s show this year almost surpassed CTJ’s show last year as the highest scoring show in history. It got me wondering about each group’s highest score at BOA SA. So I did a LOT of research, and after a couple weeks, I ended up with this:

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

That spreadsheet has every group’s highest score, both overall and in each caption, as well as the result if all of their best caption scores were achieved in one performance.

Some interesting things I noticed:

- Despite never having broken 90, Coppell is tied for the 6th highest music score in history, scoring a 19.05 at prelims in 2013
- If Hebron’s best score in each caption were all achieved in one performance, the result would be an astounding 97.00 score
- It’s interesting to see some of the old powerhouses such as Churchill and Westfield decline, and to see some, like Westlake, begin to make a comeback
- Carmel and Owasso are the only out of state schools to medal at BOA SA. However, Avon has the highest score by an out of state school, outscoring both of them by almost 6 points
- Carmel is also the lowest scoring winner of any year, prelims or finals
- Hebron is the only school to have won a prelims, but never have placed first in finals
- Conversely, The Woodlands is the only school to have won finals, but never have placed first in prelims, placing 5th at prelims in 2013 before taking 1st at finals
- LD Bell has the most championship wins, with 5

So what are you guys’ thoughts on this? Let me know if you have any ideas on how to improve the layout of this sheet/make the info more easily accessible! It’d be nice if I could make this wall of text a little smaller lol

#2 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 30 December 2018 - 03:55 AM

you obviously put a lot of hard work into that!
Each day is a gift. That’s why it’s called “the present.”

#3 Dog885

Dog885

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 30 December 2018 - 03:56 AM

It says I need permission to access it, odd.

#4 SpartanMarcher

SpartanMarcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationPorter HS

Posted 30 December 2018 - 05:54 AM

It says I need permission to access it, odd.

I may have to transfer it into another sheet on my other google account. The one I used might have sharing restricted. I’ll have it so that everyone can access it by tomorrow night

#5 SpartanMarcher

SpartanMarcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationPorter HS

Posted 30 December 2018 - 04:08 PM

I’ve moved it to a different sheet, so the link should work now!

#6 Dog885

Dog885

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:05 PM

I’ve moved it to a different sheet, so the link should work now!

Thank you! Very cool!

#7 SpartanMarcher

SpartanMarcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationPorter HS

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:16 PM

A couple other facts you guys may find interesting
- Owasso is the only out-of-state school to advance to finals twice
- The Woodlands is the only school to advance to finals every year since the creation of the San Antonio regional

#8 principalagent

principalagent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 11:48 PM

- The Woodlands is the only school to advance to finals every year since the creation of the San Antonio regional

Reagan?

Additionally, the Woodlands skipped in 2008.

#9 SpartanMarcher

SpartanMarcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationPorter HS

Posted 01 January 2019 - 03:39 AM

I don’t think Reagan attended in 98/99.

You are correct about The Woodlands, though. My bad!

#10 Gogogo

Gogogo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:15 PM

I don’t think Reagan attended in 98/99.

You are correct about The Woodlands, though. My bad!

Ronald Reagan opened in 1999 and the first band year was 2000. 1998 & 1999 was still Churchill who finished 1st at the San Antonio BOA both years.

#11 principalagent

principalagent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 08:54 PM

Oh, you looked at the San Antonio Super Regional even before it became the late season regional / super regional. In that case, no band has made finals every single year.

#12 Cityscapes

Cityscapes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 01:36 AM

I believe the closest would be Winston Churchill who made finals from the inagural San Antonio regional every year until 2012, and then again in 2016. Hopefully they make it back in soon!

#13 banddad84

banddad84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationCanyon Lake TX

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:58 AM

So I started working on something recently after realizing that Flower Mound’s show this year almost surpassed CTJ’s show last year as the highest scoring show in history. It got me wondering about each group’s highest score at BOA SA. So I did a LOT of research, and after a couple weeks, I ended up with this:

That spreadsheet has every group’s highest score, both overall and in each caption, as well as the result if all of their best caption scores were achieved in one performance.

Some interesting things I noticed:

- Despite never having broken 90, Coppell is tied for the 6th highest music score in history, scoring a 19.05 at prelims in 2013
- If Hebron’s best score in each caption were all achieved in one performance, the result would be an astounding 97.00 score
- It’s interesting to see some of the old powerhouses such as Churchill and Westfield decline, and to see some, like Westlake, begin to make a comeback
- Carmel and Owasso are the only out of state schools to medal at BOA SA. However, Avon has the highest score by an out of state school, outscoring both of them by almost 6 points
- Carmel is also the lowest scoring winner of any year, prelims or finals
- Hebron is the only school to have won a prelims, but never have placed first in finals
- Conversely, The Woodlands is the only school to have won finals, but never have placed first in prelims, placing 5th at prelims in 2013 before taking 1st at finals
- LD Bell has the most championship wins, with 5

So what are you guys’ thoughts on this? Let me know if you have any ideas on how to improve the layout of this sheet/make the info more easily accessible! It’d be nice if I could make this wall of text a little smaller lol

cool data

CTJ placing top 5 the past 8 years should be of note

#14 MadisonBandMan1

MadisonBandMan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:37 PM

Hey @SpartanMarcher, would you mind if I share that link with the mfa forum? I think the history buffs over there would love this.

#15 SpartanMarcher

SpartanMarcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationPorter HS

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:38 PM

Hey @SpartanMarcher, would you mind if I share that link with the mfa forum? I think the history buffs over there would love this.

Not at all! Share away!

#16 abtwitch

abtwitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:05 AM

I did the same thing for GN semis (only going back to 1996 when the semis format was introduced). Saw some familiar names that I didn't realize had made the trek up to Nats!

#17 SpartanMarcher

SpartanMarcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationPorter HS

Posted 05 January 2019 - 03:46 AM

I did the same thing for GN semis (only going back to 1996 when the semis format was introduced). Saw some familiar names that I didn't realize had made the trek up to Nats!

That’s some pretty interesting stuff! I was considering doing GN scores for Texas bands all the way back to 1985, which I may end up starting tonight (I’m in a state of extreme boredom right now)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users