Favorite Concert Band Pieces

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are just a few of my favorites:

Lincolnshire Posy--Grainger. I think this is one of the best pieces out there--but that's just my opinion.

J'ai ete au bal--Grantham. Fun song--I never get tired of listening to it.

Dance Movements--Sparke. I think this is an all around great piece--I absolutely love it.

October--Whitacre. It may not be technical, but it is one of the most emotional songs that I have ever played--it is completely gorgeous.

Profanation--Bernstein. I don't really quite know why I like this song....I just do.

Symphonic Metamorphosis (all 4 movements)-Paul Hindemith

Four Scottish Dances (frolicky piece to play)-Malcolm Arnold

Niagra Falls (not the cheesy Cavalier version, if you want to hear the original, pm me)- Michael Daugherty

Southern Harmony-Donald Grantham

Hymn of the Highlands-Philip Sparke

Pantomime-Philip Sparke

Violin Concerto Opus 14 (first three movements)-Samuel Barber

Adagio for Strings-Samuel Barber

Planet Suite-Gustav Holst

Symphony No. 4, Symphony No. 5, Symphony No. 10-Dmitri Shostakovich

Flight of the Bumblebee-Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov

Russian Christmas Music-Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov

Hobbits- Johann de Meij

These are just a few of my favorites.

i'll start with stuff i've played.

symphony no. 4- david maslanka. this piece is freakin awesome to listen to and play. wow.... its so loud and powerful. i can't wait til i get to play this with an organ and the Dallas Wind Symphony.

fugue in g minor- bach. i really, really like this tune. its not overly technical but put it with a good group and it really sounds amazing. i love how wind bands can imitate the sound of an organ if u play it correctly.

rocky point holiday- ron nelson. 'nuff said. this piece is just overall awesome.

la tumba de alejandro garcia caturla- shelley hanson. i've never been able to find a good recording of this piece but when i played it, i really liked it. pretty difficult stuff and very intense.

lads of wamphray- percy grainger

to walk with wings- i forgot who wrote it.

the danserye- susato. awesome awesome piece. if u havent heard it hit me up... its pretty sweet.

the pines of rome- respighi. playing in the meyerson with 100+ including the dallas wind symphony playing pines of rome and organ is probably the loudest thing i've ever heard. my ears were nearly blown off by the trombones i sat in front of. also, the floor shaking because of the organ was freakin amazing as well.

october- eric whitacre

jesu, joy of man's desiring- bach. ive gotten really into bach lately.

now pieces i like to listen to.

symphonic metamorphosis- hindemith. i prefer the orchestral version over the band arrangement though.

pomp and cirumcstance- crap if u've never heard the real deal u've been missing out.

a child's garden of dreams- maslanka

bruckner's 8th symphony

tchaikovsky's 4th symphony

symphony no. 1: the lord of the rings-johan de meij

overture to candide- bernstein

scheherezade- nikolai rimsky-korsakov

jai ete au bal- grantham

tam o'shanter- malcolm arnold

harrison's dream- peter graham

there are probably more but i have homework...

Any of Alfred Reed's music. "Three Revelations from the Lotus Sutra" is one of my faves!!! Also, Reed's arrangemen of "Black is the Color of my true Love's Hair" is also awesome.

Lux Arumque by Eric Whitacre is also a new and amazing piece.

Rocky Point is da bomb.

Songs of the West by Holst is also very cool.

Favorite Pieces I've performed:

Short Ride in a Fast Machine

Enigma Variations

Vesuvius

Pas Redoble

Marche Militare Francaise (the arrangement where the low brass do the runs)

Pegasus (from The Spirit Sleeping)

March of the toys

Pieces I've heard, but want to play:

Rhosymedre

Jupiter

Entry March of the Boyars

Armenian Dances, Set 1

Postcard

tons, way too many to list. Favorite?

Candide Overture- Bernstein. Talk about a fun piece. If you'd never heard it, find it somewhere.

That and the Mozart or Vivaldi Bassoon Concertos, but no one except for bassoonists would like to play those...

yeah, bassoon represent! which vivaldi is your favorite? my personal fav is defnitley the 5th. what are you playing for solo/ensemble?

I love:

J'ai ete au bal - Grantham I can't get tired of listening to this piece. It has the coolest tuba solo.

Theme From Green Bushes - Grainger Very cool little piece that not many people talk about.

March, Op. 99 - Prokofiev I usually hate marches, but this one is really fun.

Manzoni Requiem - Giuseppe Verdi Powerful piece that ranges in emotion. I love it. The full orchestral/choral version is way better than the band transcription, though.

Polovetsian Dances - Alexander Borodin The melody of this composition is very catchy. Again, the orchestral/choral version is way better than the band transcription.

Jupiter- Gustav Holst How can you not love any of The Planets?

Masquerade for Band - Vincent Persichetti This piece becomes way cooler when you find out how Persichetti wrote it.

Anything by Paul Hindemith He did a lot for wind band -- amazing composer.

I'm tired of typing.

Into the Storm is an amazing marching piece. It was originally written for Westfield HS, and we played it the year after (El Paso Coronado). That was back in 96-97. What a unique piece. Wow.

As for the bassoon question posed to me, I'm a college grad- so I'm not playing anything for solo and ensemble. Hopefully I'll be playing for the San Diego lyric opera next year though! Gilbert and Sullivan, awesome music to play bassoon for.

October - Whitacre

I played this last year (freshman year) and it was amazing. I felt like crying everytime i hear it.

Hammersmith - Holst

ok ok ok. No no really liked this piece, but I have to say, playing it and not being an honor band felt like a real accomplishment, and there was some cool stuff in it.

English Dances- Arnold

I played this in 8th grade......... wow.

Some others were Where Never Lark Nor Eagle Flew, Childrens March.