2019 5A Area B

Pioneer hs did beat Roma in every caption with the exception of GE at BOA McAllen this past season. Im not saying they are the better band but I do think that they will give Roma hs some competition. 

• 5 weeks later...

Wow we’ve got some Homer’s on here, lol. I’m from Frisco so I can say no, every band from 5a area b cannot make state finals. I mean that’s great rah rah, but wakeland, Lebanon Trail, maybe Centennial if they come back next year, and Maybe McKinney north with a possible Wylie east surprise. Friendswood has a great tradition but I don’t see them at state finals unless they step it up. It’ll be between dfw and Austin this year in finals. Btw, I’ll give you cedar park, they’ll vie for first place, dripping springs will probably make the top ten. Not sure about Rouse, have to see what they have this year. Add in Aledo and Highland Park for top 10, maybe Richland?

Edit: Valley bands of course, Roma, and I thought pflugerville was 6a so have to include them in the mix.

Wow we’ve got some Homer’s on here, lol. I’m from Frisco so I can say no, every band from 5a area b cannot make state finals. I mean that’s great rah rah, but wakeland, Lebanon Trail, maybe Centennial if they come back next year, and Maybe McKinney north with a possible Wylie east surprise. Friendswood has a great tradition but I don’t see them at state finals unless they step it up. It’ll be between dfw and Austin this year in finals. Btw, I’ll give you cedar park, they’ll vie for first place, dripping springs will probably make the top ten. Not sure about Rouse, have to see what they have this year. Add in Aledo and Highland Park for top 10, maybe Richland?

Edit: Valley bands of course, Roma, and I thought pflugerville was 6a so have to include them in the mix.

Richland is now 6a 

No offense, but you really think McKinney North has a better chance of making State Finals than Friendswood? I don't know about that one chief

Rouse is a lock for sure, they made finals in 2017 and got exponentially better in 2018. With no staff changes (that I know of), I'd say they're in the running for a medal and could even challenge CP or Drip for gold. Friendswood has a very solid chance at making state finals, they only had a rough start to their season and quickly recovered by the time San Antonio came around. I agree that Pflugerville will be likely to be in finals. You're also forgetting the overnight success story that is Weiss, even with their staff changes this past season is setting them up for a strong 1st year at state. Wakeland and Lebanon Trail are the only groups from Area B I see making state finals.

Rouse is a lock for sure, they made finals in 2017 and got exponentially better in 2018. With no staff changes (that I know of), I'd say they're in the running for a medal and could even challenge CP or Drip for gold. Friendswood has a very solid chance at making state finals, they only had a rough start to their season and quickly recovered by the time San Antonio came around. I agree that Pflugerville will be likely to be in finals. You're also forgetting the overnight success story that is Weiss, even with their staff changes this past season is setting them up for a strong 1st year at state. Wakeland and Lebanon Trail are the only groups from Area B I see making state finals.

If Lebanon Trail improves from the 2018 to the 2019 season as much as they did from the 2017 to the 2018 season I could see them challenging Wakeland (who will lose even more to Memorial going into the 2019 season) for the top spot in the area.

No offense, but you really think McKinney North has a better chance of making State Finals than Friendswood? I don't know about that one chief No disrespect to McKinney North

McKinney North and Wylie East - lots of groups should be ahead based on past season, let alone the previous 5A year.

Friendswood will be in finals. remember, they were 37th at BOASA last year, and 37th now means something COMPLETELY different than it did as recently as 2016. Also, having seen that show a few times, I feel like their issues this past season stemmed more from show design than actual performance. They likely wont medal, but I have a tough time seeing a state finals without Friendswood.

I just found out the instrumentation for Lebanon Trail's show next year. It's not super relevant but just thought these numbers were cool.

-75 woodwinds

-75 brass (excluding tubas)

-13 tubas

-18 battery (8, 5, 5)

-18 front ensemble

What were Lebanon Trail's numbers the past season?

• 3 weeks later...

I hope y'all are right about Friendswood.  The Houston area used to be the standard bearer for Texas Marching Bands.  Spring, Klein Oak and Westfield ruled the 80's and 90's.  But the last 10 years the whole area has been basically a no show besides The Woodlands and North Shore in class 5a and 6a at the state level.  Yes Seven Lakes is moving up but that is a recent phenomenon.   

And I'm moving to Keller so I can say this and not be a homer.  Lebanon Trail is going to surprise alot of people this year, I think they'll go in the top 3 at state.

I hope y'all are right about Friendswood. The Houston area used to be the standard bearer for Texas Marching Bands. Spring, Klein Oak and Westfield ruled the 80's and 90's. But the last 10 years the whole area has been basically a no show besides The Woodlands and North Shore in class 5a and 6a at the state level. Yes Seven Lakes is moving up but that is a recent phenomenon.

And I'm moving to Keller so I can say this and not be a homer. Lebanon Trail is going to surprise alot of people this year, I think they'll go in the top 3 at state.

While The Woodlands may be the only national caliber band in Houston right now, I do think Houston has more bands on the rise right now than any other metro area. For example, Oak Ridge, College Park, Willis, North Shore, Cy-Fair, SFA, Westfield, Galena Park, Clements, JE Taylor, Bridgeland, Cy-Ranch, Seven Lakes, Tompkins, William B. Travis, and Tomball Memorial all either had the best season in their history, or the best season in a very long time. Oak Ridge barely missed out on state finals, College Park wowed us with one of the strongest renditions of kingfishers catch fire ever fielded. A little to the north, Willis high school is really starting to develop into a strong 5a state band. Potential 5a state finalist perhaps? Going back down south, Westfield went from 22nd at Lone star preview in 2016 to 16th at a VERY stacked BOA conroe this past season. Lookout for a major comeback from them. Travel to Southeast Houston and you will come across North Shore. Probably the finest concert program in Houston. Nearby, Galena Park has taken some MAJOR strides this year, and will likely be at 5a state next year. Meanwhile, the marching programs in CFISD and KISD are rapidly growing. We will certainly be hearing from Cy Ranch and Bridgeland in the very near future. As for SFA, despite just barely missing conroe finals, could very well be a super regional finalist next year for the first time in almost a decade. Last season was one of the finest programs they have fielded since the 2000s and was a massive improvement over 2017. While Houston may have the smallest amount of national finalist caliber bands, I do believe we have the most programs on the rise.

While The Woodlands may be the only national caliber band in Houston right now, I do think Houston has more bands on the rise right now than any other metro area. For example, Oak Ridge, College Park, Willis, North Shore, Cy-Fair, SFA, Westfield, Galena Park, Clements, JE Taylor, Bridgeland, Cy-Ranch, Seven Lakes, Tompkins, William B. Travis, and Tomball Memorial all either had the best season in their history, or the best season in a very long time. Oak Ridge barely missed out on state finals, College Park wowed us with one of the strongest renditions of kingfishers catch fire ever fielded. A little to the north, Willis high school is really starting to develop into a strong 5a state band. Potential 5a state finalist perhaps? Going back down south, Westfield went from 22nd at Lone star preview in 2016 to 16th at a VERY stacked BOA conroe this past season. Lookout for a major comeback from them. Travel to Southeast Houston and you will come across North Shore. Probably the finest concert program in Houston. Nearby, Galena Park has taken some MAJOR strides this year, and will likely be at 5a state next year. Meanwhile, the marching programs in CFISD and KISD are rapidly growing. We will certainly be hearing from Cy Ranch and Bridgeland in the very near future. As for SFA, despite just barely missing conroe finals, could very well be a super regional finalist next year for the first time in almost a decade. Last season was one of the finest programs they have fielded since the 2000s and was a massive improvement over 2017. While Houston may have the smallest amount of national finalist caliber bands, I do believe we have the most programs on the rise.

I agree that Houston is often shoved under the rug for marching, but I've heard from many people that it is going to change. John Mackey was at my university this past week and he specified Houston out of the ENTIRE state of Texas when it comes to quality concert programs. I 100% agree that Houston area bands are the next to rise up now that the Austin area has well-established itself as the dominant force (about the same as DFW) when it comes to being the gold standard for band programs around the state and nation as a whole. It's got me considering driving 6-7 hours all the way from Abilene to tune in for BOA Katy, something I never would've considered even a year ago.

I wish UT was in Houston because then I could make a bad "the eyes of Texas(bands) are upon you" joke.