2019 5A Area B

I've got these bands going to finals in the area competition, in alphabetical order.

-Centennial

-Heritage

-Lebanon Trail

-Lone Star

-Lovejoy

-McKinney North

-Princeton

-The Colony

-Wakeland

-Wylie East

After further research yesterday and today I'm gonna go back on what I said before and say the third and fourth state spots are probably up for grabs by 4-5 of these bands.

You sure that number doesn't include choir and orchestra? Cause I found a picture where only 19 band kids made Region (still a good size, just not 67 lol)

From the band’s Twitter account....

“Over the past 4 days, members of @LTHS_Band have competed in 3 rounds of auditions for the TMEA Region 24 All-Region band. Congratulations to the following 67 Trail Blazers for their placement in one of the All-Region ensembles!”

That’s quite impressive! Good stuff happening at Lebanon Trail!!

I'm gonna say Wakeland, Lebanon Trail, and maybe Centennial are locks, with Lone Star, Heritage, and Reedy fighting for the last spot. I really don't see Princeton or The Colony in the picture to be honest.

With the opening of memorial high school, lone star and heritage have both declined from the position last year. Lone star's musical execution is weaker, but more obviously has their visual clarity. Reedy has definitely improved from the last area competition and will definitely be locks for finals next year. Wakeland and Lebanon Trail are locks for state, but next year will come down to whoever gets the other two spots. Reedy placed higher than LS did at BOA Bedford, so those two bands should be interesting. Princeton and Centennial are maybes for me, and The Colony is just not that strong compared to the other bands in area b.

With the opening of memorial high school, lone star and heritage have both declined from the position last year. Lone star's musical execution is weaker, but more obviously has their visual clarity. Reedy has definitely improved from the last area competition and will definitely be locks for finals next year. Wakeland and Lebanon Trail are locks for state, but next year will come down to whoever gets the other two spots. Reedy placed higher than LS did at BOA Bedford, so those two bands should be interesting. Princeton and Centennial are maybes for me, and The Colony is just not that strong compared to the other bands in area b.

I agree, Reedy looked like a completely different band from 2017, forgot about them when making my finals prediction. I could see them swapping with Lovejoy or Heritage on that list.

From the band’s Twitter account....

“Over the past 4 days, members of @LTHS_Band have competed in 3 rounds of auditions for the TMEA Region 24 All-Region band. Congratulations to the following 67 Trail Blazers for their placement in one of the All-Region ensembles!”

That’s quite impressive! Good stuff happening at Lebanon Trail!!

Yes, 67 members is quite impressive, seeing as they have no seniors at their school yet. I believe neighboring memorial high school, who also has no seniors, has approximately that may students in their ENTIRE BAND, proving that no seniors mean no excuses.

Yes, 67 members is quite impressive, seeing as they have no seniors at their school yet. I believe neighboring memorial high school, who also has no seniors, has approximately that may students in their ENTIRE BAND, proving that no seniors mean no excuses.

Speaking of numbers, Lebanon Trail is projected to have upwards of 300 next year as they currently have 204 with 9-11 and have about 140 incoming freshmen next year. (Some will quit obviously but nonetheless, still a very large number for any 5a band)

Speaking of numbers, Lebanon Trail is projected to have upwards of 300 next year as they currently have 204 with 9-11 and have about 140 incoming freshmen next year. (Some will quit obviously but nonetheless, still a very large number for any 5a band)

204 already is an insane number for only 9-11, already top of the numbers in Frisco. I believe they had around 140+ last year with grades 9-10 which, and in comparison, Leander Glenn had 36 freshmen and 14 sophomores their inaugural year. Lebanon Trail had approximately 90 members with only freshman, with a class of about 440.

It can be attributed to the two middle schools their students come from. Clark and Fowler both have huge, well-known programs, with over 160 in almost every beginner class.

That is also a good point, Clark middle recently won a national title, being the only middle school program that year who won. Also, those two middle school programs have a history of playing very difficult music at C&SR contests, I believe Clark played a Grade 4 Grainger piece according to the PML (I forgot which one), as well as Amarito Roca arr by Winter and Joyride by Markowski recently, some INSANELY difficult music at a middle school level.

In my opinion, centennial will rebound from the last area contest, after barely making state last year. They are a very strong band but have gotten super unlucky both last year and in 2013.

yeah I agree, they have a much better shot now with the area realignment that excludes region 5, and with prosper now being 6a.

thoughts on lovejoy?

I remember seeing them in 2015. From what I remember, they are very visually clean, and played very clean as well from a technical standpoint. Where thery lack is in power, but that is understandable for a band of their size. 

yeah I agree, they have a much better shot now with the area realignment that excludes region 5, and with prosper now being 6a.

The same thing that is making Lebanon trail strong is what is now hurting centennial. Clark now feeds into LT now, not centennial. LT also has the former marching band assistant from centennial as their lead director. She was in place the last two times centennial appeared at state finals. We’ll see, centennial has a good tradition and strong band parents association.

I’m surprised Lone Star got past Centennial last year. That’s the only time all year that Lone Star beat Centennial including area prelims that day. I wasn’t fond of their show in 2017, but they executed it well.

Edit: Southwest high school is the one that knocked centennial out after barely losing in prelims, not lone star. Lone Star beat Centennial by 10 points in 2017.

The same thing that is making Lebanon trail strong is what is now hurting centennial. Clark now feeds into LT now, not centennial. LT also has the former marching band assistant from centennial as their lead director. She was in place the last two times centennial appeared at state finals. We’ll see, centennial has a good tradition and strong band parents association.

I’m surprised Lone Star got past Centennial last year. That’s the only time all year that Lone Star beat Centennial including area prelims that day. I wasn’t fond of their show in 2017, but they executed it well.

Edit: Southwest high school is the one that knocked centennial out after barely losing in prelims, not lone star. Lone Star beat Centennial by 10 points in 2017.

given the realignment, which of those bands do you think we'll see at state next year?

given the realignment, which of those bands do you think we'll see at state next year?

Lebanon Trail, Centennial had alot of technical issues this year, seemed to me that they were trying a CTJ type drill that they had trouble executing except their musicality was lower than normal...same last year.

They'd have to really pick it up to make state next year, and they might, who knows.

In the one head to head they had last year at Tournament of Champions the score wasn't even close between LT and Centennial, LT won by a long shot and Centennial placed fifth.  LT had a 88.5 and Centennial's score was 82.2.

Plus if you listen to Lebanon Trail last year to this year, the improvement is amazing.

If they make any kind of similar improvement next year they'll place high at state finals.

Lebanon Trail, Centennial had alot of technical issues this year, seemed to me that they were trying a CTJ type drill that they had trouble executing except their musicality was lower than normal...same last year.

They'd have to really pick it up to make state next year, and they might, who knows.

In the one head to head they had last year at Tournament of Champions the score wasn't even close between LT and Centennial, LT won by a long shot and Centennial placed fifth.  LT had a 88.5 and Centennial's score was 82.2.

Plus if you listen to Lebanon Trail last year to this year, the improvement is amazing.

If they make any kind of similar improvement next year they'll place high at state finals.

Agreed. Given that Lebanon Trail will both grow in size and have its first senior class next year, I think they will make that improvement.

Agreed. Given that Lebanon Trail will both grow in size and have its first senior class next year, I think they will make that improvement.

Having a senior class and more students in the band almost directly correlate to cleaner drill and fuller sounds. Lebanon Trail's band by far has one of the cleanest visual performances in the 5A competition, so having that senior class as well as a new group of freshmen will no doubt sweep marching captions of any sort. However, I definitely agree they need to step up their game in terms of musical execution, their almost underperforming musical score at TOC this year proves that they need to up their music for next year. If they can do that, in my opinion, they have a clear path at state next year.

Having a senior class and more students in the band almost directly correlate to cleaner drill and fuller sounds. Lebanon Trail's band by far has one of the cleanest visual performances in the 5A competition, so having that senior class as well as a new group of freshmen will no doubt sweep marching captions of any sort. However, I definitely agree they need to step up their game in terms of musical execution, their almost underperforming musical score at TOC this year proves that they need to up their music for next year. If they can do that, in my opinion, they have a clear path at state next year.

Yeah, we deserved that music score at TOC, but that happened partially because it was early in the morning and partially because we didn't play our big closer hit. If you watch a video of our last performance on youtube, the last half of the closer pretty much makes the show. Nonetheless, we worked on it throughout the season and I still felt like we were right on the brink of breaking out sound-wise but never quite got there except for in a few hits in the show.

List of bands in 5A Area B:

Region 2:

The Colony

Northwest

Denton Ryan

Denton Braswell

Denton HS

Lake Dallas

Region 24:

Centennial

Heritage

Independence

Frisco HS

Wakeland

Reedy

Lone Star

Lebanon Trail

Liberty

Memorial

Little Elm

Region 25:

Mckinney North

Lovejoy

Wylie East

Sherman

Denison

Princeton

23 bands total

5 have appeared at state in recent years

ALL 23 received a 1 rating at region this year, probably the only area in Texas to do that this year for 5A, I don't know I'm not gonna go check tho ;)

List of bands in 5A Area B:

Region 2:

The Colony

Northwest

Denton Ryan

Denton Braswell

Denton HS

Lake Dallas

Region 24:

Centennial

Heritage

Independence

Frisco HS

Wakeland

Reedy

Lone Star

Lebanon Trail

Liberty

Memorial

Little Elm

Region 25:

Mckinney North

Lovejoy

Wylie East

Sherman

Denison

Princeton

23 bands total

5 have appeared at state in recent years

ALL 23 received a 1 rating at region this year, probably the only area in Texas to do that this year for 5A, I don't know I'm not gonna go check tho ;)

so even if 3 get 2's there will still be 4 state spots, I'd call it a pretty safe bet.