2019 5A Area B

I wanted to create a separate thread for Area B discussion. For those who don't know, here are some of the more notable bands in Area B (in ABC order):

Frisco Centennial

Frisco Lebanon Trail

Frisco Lone Star

Frisco Wakeland

McKinney North

Princeton (where I go!)

The Colony

Yeah... Area B Finals looks to be insane, and with 23 bands in Area B (Regions 2, 24, and 25), there are a max of 4 state spots. This might be THE Area to watch next year. Thoughts?

I wanted to create a separate thread for Area B discussion. For those who don't know, here are some of the more notable bands in Area B (in ABC order):

Frisco Centennial

Frisco Lebanon Trail

Frisco Lone Star

Frisco Wakeland

McKinney North

Princeton (where I go!)

The Colony

Yeah... Area B Finals looks to be insane, and with 23 bands in Area B (Regions 2, 24, and 25), there are a max of 4 state spots. This might be THE Area to watch next year. Thoughts?

Frisco Liberty is very good too.

• 4 weeks later...

could potentially see a frisco sweep for the 4 state spots this time because prosper, fort worth, and mansfield are no longer competing in 5a area B

I don't see a Frisco sweep happening. I think Wakeland and Lone Star are locks, with Lebanon Trail having really good chances and The Colony and Princeton fighting for the last State spot. I don't think Frisco ISD has four state-level bands, especially being in the same area as The Colony and Princeton.

Don't forget about programs like Lovejoy and Wylie East who've really stepped it up these past few years. Medaling at your 2nd BOA Contest ever is no joke, even if it is "just" Midland. 

Here's my locks for finals:
Frisco Centennial

Lebanon Trail

Lone Star

Wakeland

The Colony

Lovejoy

McKinney North

Wylie East

Don't forget about programs like Lovejoy and Wylie East who've really stepped it up these past few years. Medaling at your 2nd BOA Contest ever is no joke, even if it is "just" Midland. 

Here's my locks for finals:

Frisco Centennial

Lebanon Trail

Lone Star

Wakeland

The Colony

Lovejoy

McKinney North

Wylie East

You don't think Princeton is a lock?

The gulf between classes is larger between 4A and 5A than any two other adjacent classes. Princeton definitely has a good chance of making finals, but it’s hard to know yet.

I moved to Princeton last year in the hopes of going to State, but that was before I knew we were about to move up. I just want to go to State!

good luck! We will definitely be pulling for you guys!

Thank you! We will definitely need it! We're starting to realize at Princeton how tough 5A is, asn no one from PHS advanced to All-Region Phase 2 (including me, who got a I on a solo at State S&E).

In other news, Princeton High School just experienced its third power outage this semester!

Reigon 24 5A is by far the most competitive 5A region in texas as far as the all-region processes go. If you look at the numbers it is quite obvious. For example, they had around 84ish french horns try tryout for phase 1 auditions, which is more than area a, d, e, f, and h have, and each all-state area includes 4 regions. With this in mind, region 24 alone has about 13 percent of all 5a horns who audition, which is about the same for each instrument. Last year, I believe area b sent 37 students to state, 27 of which attended a Frisco school.

Reigon 24 5A is by far the most competitive 5A region in texas as far as the all-region processes go. If you look at the numbers it is quite obvious. For example, they had around 84ish french horns try tryout for phase 1 auditions, which is more than area a, d, e, f, and h have, and each all-state area includes 4 regions. With this in mind, region 24 alone has about 13 percent of all 5a horns who audition, which is about the same for each instrument. Last year, I believe area b sent 37 students to state, 27 of which attended a Frisco school.

It's really hard competing here in region 24, Frisco alone makes up about 20% of students who audition for 5a in the entire state. So naturally, it can be really difficult to even get an area spot. For example, I got 3rd out of 65 tuba players in the region who auditioned for 5a and I still didn't even make area.

It's really hard competing here in region 24, Frisco alone makes up about 20% of students who audition for 5a in the entire state. So naturally, it can be really difficult to even get an area spot. For example, I got 3rd out of 65 tuba players in the region who auditioned for 5a and I still didn't even make area.

all regions send 2 tubas to area regardless of size of region, but i agree tubas in region 24 are SUPER competitive.

I don't see a Frisco sweep happening. I think Wakeland and Lone Star are locks, with Lebanon Trail having really good chances and The Colony and Princeton fighting for the last State spot. I don't think Frisco ISD has four state-level bands, especially being in the same area as The Colony and Princeton.

I'm gonna say Wakeland, Lebanon Trail, and maybe Centennial are locks, with Lone Star, Heritage, and Reedy fighting for the last spot. I really don't see Princeton or The Colony in the picture to be honest.

I'm gonna say Wakeland, Lebanon Trail, and maybe Centennial are locks, with Lone Star, Heritage, and Reedy fighting for the last spot. I really don't see Princeton or The Colony in the picture to be honest.

Id have The Colony and Princeton in over Reedy and Heritage