#121 SpartanMarcher

SpartanMarcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationPorter HS

Posted 31 January 2019 - 02:27 AM

There's honestly nothing that states a group needs a wgi championship level guard to score well. Obviously it doesn't hurt, but it isn't exactly a prerequisite. Broken Arrow has been keeping up with Carmel, Avon, and TS for years in visual and anyone can tell you their colorguard isn't at the level of those groups. Vandegrift has a terrific drill writer and I think people are exaggerating this whole thing. In a sea of tarps and dancing Vandegrifts straight up marching and playing is going to shine at nationals and I can't wait to see them.

I’m not saying that a group has to have a WGI champion guard to be successful. As I said, SFA was able to pull it off beautifully in their heyday. My concern is with the level of Vandy’s design. Comparing Vandy to SFA at their respective peaks, Vandegrift’s dancers aren’t as well incorporated and don’t seem to be quite on the same skill level as the Angels (not to say that they’re weak, it’s just very hard to live up to the Angels). My concern is, is the slight inability to properly utilize their dance team in the way SFA was able to going to hold Vandegrift as a whole back despite their consistently amazing musical and marching ability?

#122 Crown2018

Crown2018

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 02:16 PM

Grand nats is crazy crazy this year I’m pumped :)

#123 LoveMyBandNerd19

LoveMyBandNerd19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:51 PM

I do wish we (Vandegrift) would go full on Guard, but we did place ahead of Avon at BOA San Antonio in 2017. We were 3rd to their 4th.  And we were 2nd in prelims--for some reason we consistently do better in prelims than in finals. We'll need to clean that up for Grand Nats. 2017 is my all-time favorite Vandegrift show in the 4 years our daughter has been in the band (coincidentally the only non-UIL show we've done in those 4 years).    We didn't do a ton of props or a ton with the dance team this past season because the focus was purely on UIL. Excited to see what the show will be for 2019. For sure it will be something with big sound that jumps out and grabs the crowd along with stepping up the props and visual aspect. 

#124 MadisonBandMan1

MadisonBandMan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:30 PM

I was just listening to some crown and realized vandegrift NEEDS to to bruckner’s 8th for an opener, STAT.

#125 Crown2018

Crown2018

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:49 PM

I was just listening to some crown and realized vandegrift NEEDS to to bruckner’s 8th for an opener, STAT.

I couldn’t agree more

#126 SpartanMarcher

SpartanMarcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationPorter HS

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:26 PM

Agreed. I also wouldn’t complain if Hebron did Holtz’s Jupiter as a ballad (the slow portion, obviously)

#127 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:57 PM

I do wish we (Vandegrift) would go full on Guard, but we did place ahead of Avon at BOA San Antonio in 2017. We were 3rd to their 4th.  And we were 2nd in prelims--for some reason we consistently do better in prelims than in finals. We'll need to clean that up for Grand Nats. 2017 is my all-time favorite Vandegrift show in the 4 years our daughter has been in the band (coincidentally the only non-UIL show we've done in those 4 years).    We didn't do a ton of props or a ton with the dance team this past season because the focus was purely on UIL. Excited to see what the show will be for 2019. For sure it will be something with big sound that jumps out and grabs the crowd along with stepping up the props and visual aspect. 

Vandegrift most certainly has the potential to do VERY well in Indy.  I am so excited for you all to have this opportunity to attend Grand Nats!  There is NOTHING LIKE IT!!!  

Each day is a gift. That’s why it’s called “the present.”

#128 SpartanMarcher

SpartanMarcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationPorter HS

Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:30 AM

Has Reagan confirmed anything yet? I know they’ve already got Midwest Clinic lined up so I’m curious to see if they’ll make another out-of-state trip for GrandNats

#129 Bandwoww

Bandwoww

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:38 AM

Has Reagan confirmed anything yet? I know they’ve already got Midwest Clinic lined up so I’m curious to see if they’ll make another out-of-state trip for GrandNats

With the Macy’s Parade next fall, probably not.

#130 SpartanMarcher

SpartanMarcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationPorter HS

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:00 AM

I forgot they were performing in the Macy’s Parade. I doubt they’ll be doing three trips so far out-of-state in the span of a year

#131 Gogogo

Gogogo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:43 AM

I forgot they were performing in the Macy’s Parade. I doubt they’ll be doing three trips so far out-of-state in the span of a year

Midwest Clinic was last December. They are going to GNs in 2020.

#132 LHSbandDad

LHSbandDad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationLeander, TX

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:52 AM

Here is a complete Apples & Oranges comparison, but just for the fun of it I took 2018 BOA San Antonio results for the confirmed Texas bands attending Grand Nationals in 2019 and compared that to the 2018 Grand Nationals results to see how they would have finished.  I know, there are lots of problems with that comparison but this is for fun so why not!?!?!?

1. (97.3) Carmel

2. (96.1) Avon

3. (96.0) HEBRON**

4. (95.6) Blue Spring

5. (95.4) Broken Arrow

6. (94.7) CTJ**

7. (94.6) Tarpon Springs

8. (94.37) LEANDER**

9. (94.35) VANDEGRIFT**

10. (93.95) Wando

11. (91.8) TWHS**

WOW!!  So with one week less of practice the SA results would have landed all five of these bands in Finals.  I can't wait until November.  I would love to see all Texas bands including Round Rock in the Finals!!  #TeamTexas

#133 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:07 AM

Where would Broken Arrow have fallen?

Edit...Their score was 95.45 so just below Hebron and Blue Spring it looks like.

#134 LHSbandDad

LHSbandDad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationLeander, TX

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:50 AM

Where would Broken Arrow have fallen?

Edit...Their score was 95.45 so just below Hebron and Blue Spring it looks like.

Oops....thanks for catching that and I have updated the fantasy projections above.

#135 SpartanMarcher

SpartanMarcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationPorter HS

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:11 AM

I for one loved In the Garden of Cosmic Speculation, so I’m very excited to see what The Woodlands brings to Nats without the restrictions of a State year or a hurricane (hopefully!)

#136 Bandmomx4

Bandmomx4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:16 PM

I for one loved In the Garden of Cosmic Speculation, so I’m very excited to see what The Woodlands brings to Nats without the restrictions of a State year or a hurricane (hopefully!)

Cross your fingers- knock on wood- pray for no hurricanes, and a dry fall!!! I think all the Texas bands have this same mantra! 🤪 I’m excited to see what they can do- and the extra week between SA and GN is exciting to us and gives a little breathing room.

#137 Majellan

Majellan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:44 PM

Here is a complete Apples & Oranges comparison, but just for the fun of it I took 2018 BOA San Antonio results for the confirmed Texas bands attending Grand Nationals in 2019 and compared that to the 2018 Grand Nationals results to see how they would have finished. I know, there are lots of problems with that comparison but this is for fun so why not!?!?!?

1. (97.3) Carmel
2. (96.1) Avon
3. (96.0) HEBRON**
4. (95.6) Blue Spring
5. (95.4) Broken Arrow
6. (94.7) CTJ**
7. (94.6) Tarpon Springs
8. (94.37) LEANDER**
9. (94.35) VANDEGRIFT**
10. (93.95) Wando
11. (91.8) TWHS**

WOW!! So with one week less of practice the SA results would have landed all five of these bands in Finals. I can't wait until November. I would love to see all Texas bands including Round Rock in the Finals!! #TeamTexas

We can also hope that this fall will be back to a normal Texas fall instead a near constant deluge. That will bump some scores as well as opposed to this year.

Sorry band mom, didn’t read your post before I posted this. We’re on the same wavelength here:)

#138 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:08 PM

Cross your fingers- knock on wood- pray for no hurricanes, and a dry fall!!! I think all the Texas bands have this same mantra! I’m excited to see what they can do- and the extra week between SA and GN is exciting to us and gives a little breathing room.

I agree!  With two weeks between the 2 competitions, there is time to completely make a new ending if a band wants to.  And you know they will!!

#139 TWHSParent

TWHSParent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:56 PM

I agree!  With two weeks between the 2 competitions, there is time to completely make a new ending if a band wants to.  And you know they will!!

We did that in 2017 anyway, even without the extra week. Completely new ending between SA and GN.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BOA, #TeamTexas, Grand Nationals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users