2019 BOA Grand National Championships

but even with support the following year - that does not address the issue of a great show one year that does not do well the next - the argument is flawed.

look at a program that did well one year - can you guarantee a great show the next year - unlike football that the championships are in that same season with the same team - Bands will start over every year - new show - same objective

True.  I do not know how to "fix" the issue, just that I think it does need fixing.  

I completely understand. As much as I love Avon, I only wish that they would travel more. I wish they would venture out past the IN state line a lot more than they have. It is all local. Louisville isn't that far of a trip. In fact, neither is Dayton, St, Louis, Clarksville,TN nor NC. 

appreciate the sarcasm - 

- WOW all the way to Kentucky, and Ohio - that is a day trip to Austin BOA - or throw another 50 miles and we can trek up top Waco

- WOW trip to St Louis, MO - at trip to Houston or McAllen -BOA  take your pick

- WOW trip to Clarksville TN - throw another 50 miles on this and it is a trip to Midland BOA

as you can see -we log some cost/miles in Texas as well and never leave the state - before we spend a lot of money to get to Indy for a competition

the difference is when you complete your season your are at home - we have to spend another $2K per student to attend Indy and do it on the road

Let's talk cost - Gnats trips cost a Texas program $400K+ to compete - this is above and beyond the cost to compete in their scheduled "local" competitions - that may exceed and additional  $400K - you may notice - big state - lots of travel costs and sometimes hotels. Not sure what your funding looks like - but in Texas - this is funded by boosters and parent/band fees

I would say the costs are much more than $400K to go to Indy.  For our band, the GN fee is $1,500 x 335 = $500K+ and that is just for the band/guard.  Throw in the costs of the chaperones, volunteers, parents, etc. and the costs start piling up.  Plus the cost of the rig(s) to transport the instruments and props.  Hotel and airfare for parents to attend.  Oh, and don't forget missing three days of school and work for the parents.  It all adds up and makes this trip much more challenging than the local Indiana bands that go to GN every year!!  As has been stated many times, I will always respect Avon for making the trip down to SA.  I hope more do the same!!

I would say the costs are much more than $400K to go to Indy.  For our band, the GN fee is $1,500 x 335 = $500K+ and that is just for the band/guard.  Throw in the costs of the chaperones, volunteers, parents, etc. and the costs start piling up.  Plus the cost of the rig(s) to transport the instruments and props.  Hotel and airfare for parents to attend.  Oh, and don't forget missing three days of school and work for the parents.  It all adds up and makes this trip much more challenging than the local Indiana bands that go to GN every year!!  As has been stated many times, I will always respect Avon for making the trip down to SA.  I hope more do the same!!

I agree - the cost is very conservative of the program cost - some that is offset by the program - but you are correct - there is a much bigger cost when families take the time that is needed to support and not sleep in their own beds every night

appreciate the sarcasm - 

- WOW all the way to Kentucky, and Ohio - that is a day trip to Austin BOA - or throw another 50 miles and we can trek up top Waco

- WOW trip to St Louis, MO - at trip to Houston or McAllen -BOA  take your pick

- WOW trip to Clarksville TN - throw another 50 miles on this and it is a trip to Midland BOA

as you can see -we log some cost/miles in Texas as well and never leave the state - before we spend a lot of money to get to Indy for a competition

the difference is when you complete your season your are at home - we have to spend another $2K per student to attend Indy and do it on the road

No sarcasm just my disappointment in Avon not traveling to destinations that can certainly be a day trip. Carmel at least travels to Louisville and occasionally to Ohio. Same with Castle and maybe Homestead. 

I get it and yes, Avon, Carmel, Ben Davis, Center Grove, Lawrence Township, Castle, Homestead, etc are extremely lucky to have the benefit of not traveling to the activities "main event". I wonder if anybody reach out to angel donors to sponsor this event so that cost per band could be lowered. Mark Cubian is a native of Indiana and lives in Texas. Wonder if he would be welling to help. 

Additionally, no state has ever put four of their own in the top 6.

Texas is about to break that record. That's something to be really pumped about.

I wasn't aware of that one. That would be cool. I guess William Mason could be a spoiler. I haven't seen their show yet, but they were excellent last year.

Over on the TMC thread, there are discussions about how Texas might not send its top band to Nats this year. I've decided to move that discussion over here. While at first I was a bit disheartened by the prospect of a non-Nats group winning San Antonio, I've come to terms with it, in light of the fantastic programs that we *are* sending. Without question, this is the strongest Texas contingent since 2013. Vandegrift has maybe their best show ever; Hebron continues to develop their visual program to its fullest potential; CTJ is doing a rousing followup to one of the best shows of the past decade; both Leander and The Woodlands are performing what will probably become their best shows in years. Really, there is absolutely nothing to be disappointed about. I am SO looking forward to the finals performances at Nationals, because I think they'll be among the best ever. And you want to talk about accomplishments? Five finalists at Nationals will be from Texas, maybe even six, if Round Rock pulls it together. No other state can do that. And even if two of the top three spots do end up going to Avon and Carmel, that still means that a Texas group will likely come back with a medal. That's freaking FANTASTIC. It is hard to overstate how difficult it is to win Nationals, especially when you're at a rehearsal disadvantage, like Texas groups are. It's a nice goal to have, but who cares? At the end of the day, everyone will have their favorites that they'll talk about for years to come on these forums, and the kids will have memories that will last them a lifetime.

Thank you, friend. Very well said and I most wholeheartedly agree. :)

I wasn't aware of that one. That would be cool. I guess William Mason could be a spoiler. I haven't seen their show yet, but they were excellent last year.

I believe they ended up with the bronze behind Carmel and Avon in 2016 when we were last there with CP, CTJ, Reagan and Bowie. I hope they don’t do it again. While I am totally okay with not taking top honors in Indy, I will be severely disappointed if we don’t medal this time around!

Is there anyone from Hebron on this site? Seems like we get the least amount of updates on them compared to the rest of "Team Texas". There are many (my son included) who think they have a great chance of bringing home the Eagle. Just curious what's going on up there in LISD North?

I'm an alumni of Hebron and the reason no one really hears much is because Sealy really drives it in to the students and parents that we should leave everything on the field and let that be what people know. It's a great thing because it just creates so much more hype for the show. Trust me though that there are amazing things being done right now and this show at Nats will blow people's minds.

Is there anyone from Hebron on this site? Seems like we get the least amount of updates on them compared to the rest of "Team Texas". There are many (my son included) who think they have a great chance of bringing home the Eagle. Just curious what's going on up there in LISD North?

Given they were missing a chunk of their show at BOA Dallas I have to believe Hebron has a good shot at a medal at Grand Nats (I would love to see them bring the Eagle home to LISD north, in fact). FYI that Hebron and Flower Mound will perform back-to-back on consecutive nights this week ... Friday night at the football game, Saturday night at the UIL Region 2 contest (at which Marcus will join them).

Given they were missing a chunk of their show at BOA Dallas I have to believe Hebron has a good shot at a medal at Grand Nats (I would love to see them bring the Eagle home to LISD north, in fact). FYI that Hebron and Flower Mound will perform back-to-back on consecutive nights this week ... Friday night at the football game, Saturday night at the UIL Region 2 contest (at which Marcus will join them).

I believe they ended up with the bronze behind Carmel and Avon in 2016 when we were last there with CP, CTJ, Reagan and Bowie. I hope they don’t do it again. While I am totally okay with not taking top honors in Indy, I will be severely disappointed if we don’t medal this time around!

They had some director issues, and ended up 20th in 2017 when we last went. Last year they recovered quite a bit and finished 7th.

No sarcasm just my disappointment in Avon not traveling to destinations that can certainly be a day trip. Carmel at least travels to Louisville and occasionally to Ohio. Same with Castle and maybe Homestead. 

I get it and yes, Avon, Carmel, Ben Davis, Center Grove, Lawrence Township, Castle, Homestead, etc are extremely lucky to have the benefit of not traveling to the activities "main event". I wonder if anybody reach out to angel donors to sponsor this event so that cost per band could be lowered. Mark Cubian is a native of Indiana and lives in Texas. Wonder if he would be welling to help. 

wow - I am sure no band in Texas ever thought to seek a donor/sponsor to cover the costs for a Indy Trip - appreciate the heads up - I will get Mark Cuban on the phone - appreciate the enormous service you have provided to our Texas bands. hey everyone - don't everyone call Cuban at once..... I got dibs